Off Topic (from The Leica M11 images thread)

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Posters like Steven have their place. They encourage participation, if only for the facepalms and "someone is wrong on the internet" effect. I'll admit to having posted once or twice for such reasons. The unbridled enthusiasm encouraged by such participants has a wonderful motivating effect on others and many of Steven's threads contain great posts and images from many of you. But, at the end of the day, we all have relationships, be they work, personal, legal etc that we have to deal with even if we're not 100% in agreement with everything. Such is life. Where we can pick and choose, such as our participation in this forum, we have every right to stay or leave. But if we stay we have to accept what the forum is and what common decency requires of us.

(I don't half use too many commas ....)

Edited by convexferret
  • Like 1

Leica has every right to not disclose any of their future plans, so I can't really understand why that would be considered a 'cartel mentality'. Guess all manufacturers are cartels then lol 

I feel grateful enough that Leica as a company listens to us the users, using this forum. And now that that has been made even clearer, I guess I need to further raise my voice of 'let's bring out the pre-asph lux & 8e remakes' to 'combat' the APO crowd lol Vintage lenses lovers unite!! (joking)

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 2

As now things are cleared out (at least for me) we can go back to normal discussions.

Having moved to M after trying the Q, the question is what camera to buy? The m10r, m11, sl2 or sl2s? Till now, the forum did not help me. Camera needs to be able to do LE of 4-8 minutes with LENR….

sorry to be a bore, but we need to move forward 😌

34 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Is it possible please to let us know why the other 2 senior members left?

Sorry no.

I respect their decision but as it was related to my way of moderation in this case, I'm absolutely the wrong person to explain it.

Beyond that I'm convinced that it's bad style to speculate about members who left the forum as they have no way to react.

Andreas

• Like 6

I'll just say that there has been a tendency by many camera manufacturers recenty to 'hype up' the launch of new products. Unfortunately, in the case of the M11 there was an anticipation which bordered on hysteria at times IMO. Enthusiasm is one thing but I found much of the threads on the forthcoming M11 to be overexcited and as a result events have taken unfortunate turns (I am sad to lose these members). That said, Andreas and the mods have done a great job in the years I have been a member and have never been anything other than open about affiliations and why decisions have been made, whilst still respecting privacy. Keep it up.

Edited by pgk
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LUF Admin said:

Sorry no.

I respect their decision but as it was related to my way of moderation in this case, I'm absolutely the wrong person to explain it.

Beyond that I'm convinced that it's bad style to speculate about members who left the forum as they have no way to react.

Andreas

I understand, thank you

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, michali said:

The bottom line is that this is Andreas' Forum and he makes the rules. If one wants to engage on here, then you have to respect & abide by those rules. In the same way we expect guests in our homes to abide by our house rules. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about this. 

From what I've seen & read,  he was given sufficient notice & even reinstated at one point & then just carried on with his own mission. I'm afraid there are consequences, I would have done exactly the same in Andrea's position.

Yes, me too - except, there are mods who have that task and hide (litterally and figuratively) some things. 

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for coming late to the party, just came off a nasty and long bronchitis (not covid thankfully)

I am sorry it has come to this: Steven's enthusiasm was a positive and his contributions good although I did also find some of his posts a bit bit brash/insensitive to others and him a little egomanical. I also questioned why he was allowed to abuse the system for so long (already explained above, so no need to go over it again).

We are all here to enjoy and have something to look forward to amidst the daily grind and no member is more important than that goal, the products we all enjoy and ultimately photography itself so I also feel that this had become a bit of a distraction recently

He was warned, he decided to carry on, he was warned again, he disrespected the rules and the host, he had to go. No brainer for me

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Fedro:

Apologies for coming late to the party, just came off a nasty and long bronchitis (not covid thankfully)

Welcome back!

vor 6 Minuten schrieb evikne:

I understand he got a little too eager. But I still think there should be room for forgiveness.

There was room for forgiveness, but not anymore. I don't want to repeat this again in detail but Steven will not come back. Simply a risk too big for the forum.

I close this thread as it doesn't lead anywhere if we continue this issue in public.

If anyone has questions feel free to contact me via PN.

Andreas

• Like 3