What has been your experience with the m11 battery life?

M Journey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I wasn't able to pick up a spare Leica m11 battery when I bought my camera due to my dealer not having any stock.  Reviewers have noted that the battery has been able to last them the entire day.  I have a trip coming up in a few weeks where I will be taking a lot of photos and wanted to see how important it would be for me to track down a spare battery (I may end up getting a spare battery anyway to safeguard against forgetting to charge the battery at night).  

What is everyone's experience with the battery so far?  I like shooting with the standby mode off and the display standby mode set to 30 secs (as recommended by Jono in his review).  Shooting this way for about 40 minutes and 70 shots without EVF and 60 minutes and 60 shots with EVF took my battery to 40%.  I've only shot for these two sessions so far so further testing will need to be done to gauge the battery life.  If accurate this would mean I would need an extra battery for sure for trips where I want to take a lot of photos.

Also has anyone seen this in stock anywhere?  B&H and the leica usa website shows them as preorder items.

Thanks

5 hours ago, M Journey said:

Hello all,

I wasn't able to pick up a spare Leica m11 battery when I bought my camera due to my dealer not having any stock.  Reviewers have noted that the battery has been able to last them the entire day.  I have a trip coming up in a few weeks where I will be taking a lot of photos and wanted to see how important it would be for me to track down a spare battery (I may end up getting a spare battery anyway to safeguard against forgetting to charge the battery at night).  

What is everyone's experience with the battery so far?  I like shooting with the standby mode off and the display standby mode set to 30 secs (as recommended by Jono in his review).  Shooting this way for about 40 minutes and 70 shots without EVF and 60 minutes and 60 shots with EVF took my battery to 40%.  I've only shot for these two sessions so far so further testing will need to be done to gauge the battery life.  If accurate this would mean I would need an extra battery for sure for trips where I want to take a lot of photos.

Also has anyone seen this in stock anywhere?  B&H and the leica usa website shows them as preorder items.

Thanks

Are you constantly shooting in burst mode? Because even with the tiny M9 battery I get at least 300+ shots or so before the battery gets anywhere close to 40%. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Are you constantly shooting in burst mode? Because even with the tiny M9 battery I get at least 300+ shots or so before the battery gets anywhere close to 40%. 

CIPA battery numbers:

M9: 350

M11 (rangefinder mode): 700

The CIPA numbers mean that an M11 battery should last twice as long as M9 in rangefinder mode. EVF/LCD use decreases the battery life. The effect depends on the settings: EVF/LCD and Display Standby. I use EVF Extended and 30sec.

8 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

I used the numbers from the files I exported to my hard drive.  Maybe my battery wasn’t fully charged (it should have been).  The numbers do seem low.  I’ll charge the full before my next outing and see how my battery fares.