Is an APO 35/50mm on an old digital M better money spent than getting a new M11?

dgc

47 minutes ago, dgc said:

I have the M7 and M10M, along with the Summicron 35mm v4 and Summilux 50mm, amongst a few other lenses (including Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander). As much as I would want an APO 50 and M11, I just cannot see how they could provide such a significant improvement on what I currently have/ want. There appears to be no order of magnitude difference between either the old and new, and the lenses (summicron & summilix vs. apo). Furthermore, I do not have the ability to fully utilise this equipment to its fullest or the capability to present any images to their best. As someone mentioned maybe I should start getting a good printer.

(By the way, I also have the Q2, which is probably the best camera I have ever owned and covers my colour requirements). 

You have already dream kit (for most users who would use the kit happily 😇).

I'd take one 35 or 50 apo, the first which is available, then I would use with those older (not what I would call them) nice Ms.

I'd take time to learn to appreciate the "new kit", then I'd move on to other lens or M11.

I think all the camera manufacturers are stuck in the mega pixel race no matter how marginal the benefits are.

If canon or leica drop out of the race their cameras will appear weaker than the opposition even though most of the designers/technicians at the top of the field know full well it makes no difference.

To the OP i would get the lens if he likes that type of optic ahead of the camera.

I have the m11 and 35 apo.  These are the only Leica  camera and lens that I own.  If I had to downgrade one of them to the m10 or 35 FLE or summicron, I would downgrade the camera.  I like the way the 35 apo renders over the FLE or normal cron (based on the best pictures I’ve seen for these three lenses.

The image quality may be better with the m11, but with to me, the difference in rendering would mean more to me.

If I already had a m body, I would get the apo first then save to get the latest M, and if that means 5 years to get the m12 or 1-3 more years to get a m11 new or used so be it.  

Of course, the 35 FLE will hold its value better than a m body so you can get the m11 and a 35 FLE used, and put your name on the list for a apo.  By the time your name comes up on the list you might have saved enough to trade the FLE in for the Apo for very little loss.  

Or wait two months and get the m11 and 35 apo used for the price of a m10 and apo new today.

All paths lead to the 35 apo and the m11….

On 1/23/2022 at 2:55 AM, M Journey said:

I have the m11 and 35 apo.  These are the only Leica  camera and lens that I own.  If I had to downgrade one of them to the m10 or 35 FLE or summicron, I would downgrade the camera.  I like the way the 35 apo renders over the FLE or normal cron (based on the best pictures I’ve seen for these three lenses.

All paths lead to the 35 apo and the m11….

There is a lot to be said for just having the one lens and working hard to get an image that does not readily suit that focal length.

I think all paths may well do for many of us! Having said that, I have just checked the price of an APO and feel this will not be on my path!

Edited by dgc

4 hours ago, dgc said:

There is a lot to be said for just having the one lens and working hard to get an image that does not readily suit that focal length.

I think all paths may well do for many of us! Having said that, I have just checked the price of an APO and feel this will not be on my path!

🤑

So

M11 then ?

Or just use what you have now not thinking for another gear.

Edited by a.noctilux

13 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

🤑

So

M11 then ?

Or just use what you have now not thinking for another gear.

I knew they were expensive, but not that much ! No M11 as well, I am afraid. As you said, I am lucky to have what I have now.

I know many people say never sell Leica lenses but the earlier post about 'one camera one lens' makes so much sense for my kind of photography, which is no specific type. I will try to stick to the M10 M and 50mm ... though I may just keep the 24mm and the 35mm ... maybe the 90mm as well.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:56 AM, Artin said:

Personally I would sell the M7 and the q2 and pickup an M11.  The lenses you have will shine on the M11 as mentioned by me and Johno the M11 does a fantastic job with older glass and brings new life to them. 

I still enjoy using film but I must admit the immediacy of using digital is becoming more appealing. If I was to get an M11 I would use the B&W setting as I do when using the Q2 - which would be heresy given I have the M10M ! The Q2 is one camera I would not sell, it is my go to camera at the moment.

Having discussed Leica APOs I am now more tempted by the Voigtlander's having taken note of recommendations and reviews on the internet. I don't really need a lens - I am only looking as it is my birthday and I need cheering up !

Edited by dgc

There is nothing “old” about an M10 Monochrom camera. 😉

if your Summilux is the ASPH version, well, notably, Thorsten von Overgaard interviewed Peter Karbe, and it was revealed that the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH is, actually, APO. I consider myself most fortunate to have started Leica M shooting with a well-preserved, pre-owned Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, that “called” to me, from the display case at a local camera store, that happened to be a Leica dealer. I decided to buy the lens, and then started determining which Leica camera body I could afford.

As the post by a.noctilux indicated, you have a “dream kit.”

Having said that, well, yes, of course, a cheering-up on one’s birthday is entirely valid. Have a most Happy Birthday! 🙂

Edited to add: Personally, as the owner of a Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, I would “cheer” myself with the new, closer-focusing APO Summicron 35mm f/2 ASPH, if I could justify the cost. (My very-close-focusing Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS enables me to do some amazing things, though on a Canon DSLR, of course.)

Edited by RexGig0

4 hours ago, dgc said:

I still enjoy using film but I must admit the immediacy of using digital is becoming more appealing. If I was to get an M11 I would use the B&W setting as I do when using the Q2 - which would be heresy given I have the M10M ! The Q2 is one camera I would not sell, it is my go to camera at the moment.

Having discussed Leica APOs I am now more tempted by the Voigtlander's having taken note of recommendations and reviews on the internet. I don't really need a lens - I am only looking as it is my birthday and I need cheering up !

Happy birthday @dgc

I hope that you buy what you want, and not only on/for your birthday "cheering up".

We have 364 (365 every 4 years !) other days to buy/find what we want.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, dgc said:

As someone mentioned maybe I should start getting a good printer.

Post #11

But then the key will be for YOU to become the good printer. 😉

Not plug and play, just like every other aspect of photography.  It would be a new challenge and skill set.  But IMO something you would look back on as a wonderful birthday present to yourself.

Jeff

14 hours ago, dgc said:

The are quite a few Leica APO Summicron 50s on the used market - I suspect their owners now use the Voigtlander 50s and are cashing out. 

13 hours ago, Jeff S said:

...But then the key will be for YOU to become the good printer. 😉......Not plug and play, just like every other aspect of photography.  It would be a new challenge and skill set.  But IMO something you would look back on as a wonderful birthday present to yourself....

I couldn't agree more. Creating a really fine print from one's captured image(s) - whether analogue or digital - is (IMO) one of the principle aims of the whole photographic process.

Philip.