Walk around telephoto

kmonroe99

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for walk around telephoto lens recommendations for SL2/SL2-S, any (Leica, Zeiss, Panasonic, Sigma, etc) L or M mount acceptable.  By "walk around" I mean something not too heavy that I can use for compression and tight cropping on found subjects; mostly static subjects i.e. no moving birds.  I have a Leica 24-70, so something a little longer.

Edited by kmonroe99
Add clarification

135/4 Tele-Elmar is sweet.  Sharp, compared to the current version (135mm f3.4) it is very close in IQ.   Cheap, the later version (46mm filters) is more expensive but optical IQ is the same as the older version (39mm filters).  Very much loved by those that have used it.  It flies under the radar because 135mm is a slight reach for the rangefinder, placed onto a mirrorless it is a non-issue.  These are readily found, if not available immediately, wait a few days.  $400-$500 for a good used copy.  A few years back the Leica rep told me not to upgrade to the newer f3.4, he felt the IQ was very similar.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kmonroe99 said:

Looking for walk around telephoto lens recommendations for SL2/SL2-S, any (Leica, Zeiss, Panasonic, Sigma, etc) L or M mount acceptable.  By "walk around" I mean something not too heavy that I can use for compression and tight cropping on found subjects; mostly static subjects i.e. no moving birds.  I have a Leica 24-70, so something a little longer.

Would be helpful if you indicate what focal lengths you’re interested in since there are infinite focal lengths beyond 70mm :) 

That said, for something light and shooting static subjects, I would consider the following:

90mm: APO SL prime if you want utmost image performance and a very modern look. Sigma i-series 90/2.8 DG DN if you want something very light but still have decent image quality and great bang for the buck

135mm: 135 APO M if you have the budget

180mm: 180/3.4 APO Telyt if you want very high resolution in a compact body but it’s not that light. It’s about 1kg with the R to M + M to L adapter.

Zoom: 70-200/4 from Panasonic for flexibility

I think you have 4 choices depending on your budget and what you want to photograph:

1. Panasonic 70-200/f4 

2. Panasonic 70-300 - best all around

3. Leica 90-280 - best quality, but highly expensive

4. Sigma 100-400 - most flexible, the best choice for birds and animals

• Like 1