What type of film is in camera -- reminders?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My “metadata” recording is a piece of paper with camera, lens, film, place, date and exposure details. Then copied onto the rebate of the negatives with a fine pen and filed together. The details are then written on the back of each darkroom print for future reference. Works for me as most of my pictures are testing different camera bodies and lenses.

The ISO dial is the first reminder, for film speed.  That way, you can properly expose whatever is in there.  Maybe you'll be surprised when you open the camera, but that's a fun surprise.  Color or B&W is there other important question.  Me, I only shoot B&W.

5 hours ago, UliWer said:

You may use the flash symbol as well e.g. for slide film.

Not actually a "flash" symbol - just a "light bulb" indicating "film for pictures using orange incandescent indoor lightbulbs."

A.K.A. "Tungsten film" for the glowing tungsten filament in pre-LED bulbs.

Has a built-in blue-ish color balance to negate the orange tint of the light bulbs.

Not a lot made anymore, although Cinestill sells it because it is still a big deal for motion picture lighting. Usually has "T" in the branding somewhere. 100T, 800T, 500T, 50T, 64T, etc..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1046360-REG/cinestill_800135_cinestill_800_tungsten_film.html?ap=y&smp=y

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1482794-REG/kodak_8738304_vision3_500t_color_negative.html

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/8533093-Kodak-Ektachrome-64T-64-iso-tungsten-35mm-x-36-exp.-EPY

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/18902-USA/Fujifilm_15531652_RTP_II_135_36_Fujichrome_64T.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a half-case and tear off one of the film box flaps with film info and stick it in the case with the camera. It’s there when I go to change film or when I need to look at it as a reminder. Wouldn’t want to put anything sticky on my MP…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use washi tape on which I write the film type with a marker and stick over the rear door flap thingy of my M6TTLs. Washi tape has very little stickiness, although enough, and doesn't leave a residue. I also use it to cover various red dots and script, just because. The M2 always has XP2 Super so it's not an issue there.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, 250swb said:

I write on masking tape stuck to the baseplate, most types work but Tamiya yellow modellers tape is best because it's very thin, the glue is also less aggressive than some brands.

same here, i just use 3M Masking tape, and wrote there... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I also use paint masking tape on the bottom plate. I'm a bit in awe of those who use apps on their phones or notebooks to keep track of what's loaded, and even more so if they have the time to note shutter speed and aperture.

Since I always rotate several cameras I have a simple system. For instance on my M6TTL I might write "TTL 50/1.4A VIA100" for the camera used, the lens(ses) used and Velvia 100. Or it might be "M4 2.8 PTA400(100)" to indicate that I used my 2.8cm Hektor on my M4 with Portra 400 which I pulled two stops. I also note very briefly what I have shot.

The reason I use this system is that I normally only hand in my (colour film) rolls for development once I've accumulated 20-30 rolls. So I never remember what was on a particular roll or which equipment I shot it with. After I remove rolls from the camera I put the tape bits on my desk and then revisit them when I put the film in sleeves. The codes I use correspond to tags I have set up in Adobe Bridge. Works for me.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:28 AM, oldwino said:

Small piece of blue painters tape, with film type noted, stuck on the bottom plate. 

On 1/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, 250swb said:

I write on masking tape stuck to the baseplate, most types work but Tamiya yellow modellers tape is best because it's very thin, the glue is also less aggressive than some brands.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, Charles Morgan said:

The same with me (I'll look out for the Tamiya though!). Although as I now shoot only one M camera and only use a Sekonic L308s with that set to my chosen ISO, it's become less necessary.

6 hours ago, stefanusj said:

same here, i just use 3M Masking tape, and wrote there... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2022 at 5:23 AM, frame-it said:

memo in the phone?

notebook?

flap of the film box in the hotshoe?

OR

something like:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3119153

I use www.filmtrackr.com

Allows you to:

1. Know what film is in what camera - and stores all the films you use for future entries

2. Lets you know when that camera was loaded

3. Allows you to add notes (lenses used with that film, subject matter, custom ISO settings etc)

4.Lets you know when you developed a film

5. Let's you know when you scanned a film

6. Keeps tracks of all your cameras

7. Keeps track of all your lenses

8. Keeps track of all the types/brands of film that you have used

And a whole bunch more!

Free and excellent.

Edited by Huss

On 1/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, EddieCheddar said:

Color? Black and white? Speed?

My M3 has all that information in a built-in film reminder dial...

• Like 1

All great ideas -- so long as you look.  I put a piece of the box indicating film type in the hot shoe, been doing that for 40 years, and a couple of months ago I did the same routine but didn't pay attention and shot a roll of FP4 @ 125 but thought it was HP5+ and exposed the film at ISO 400.  I salvaged the many of the shots by tweaking development time.  Lesson learned, I hope.  

My Kodak Retina IIa makes it easy but I've been having a hard time trying to find the films on the reminder...🤔

Edited by madNbad
  • Haha 1