What type of film is in camera -- reminders?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I have an M6, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I can remind myself of which type of film is in the camera?
Often times I load some film in the camera, but don't get around to taking all of the shots for a week or more.
Then when I pick up the camera again I'm left wondering what type of film is actually in the camera.
Color? Black and white? Speed?

Any suggestions, preferably with pictures?

Thanks in advance!

memo in the phone?

notebook?

flap of the film box in the hotshoe?

OR

something like:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3119153

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I used to get regular office-supply-store round colored stickers and put them on the film casettes or plastic film containers.

And then after loading the film, transfer its sticker to the camera back or top (metal , not leatherette, bits).

Green sticker - B&W ISO 400 (Tmax 400, HP5, Tri-X)
Red Sticker - Kodachrome (sigh!) or since that died, color neg film
Yellow sticker - different color neg film of choice
Orange Sticker - Ilford Pan F
Blue sticker - E-6 slide film (light for low-ISO,, dark for high ISO) - or for Ilford FP4; depends on which films you shoot
Purple - medium ISO Kodak B&W films (Plus-X (sigh!) or now TMax 100.

You'll note I used the color codes the film manufacturers already use on their boxes.

ISOs (or the Exposure Index (EI) used, for pushed film) can be written on the labels with a Sharpie™ pen.

The stickers come in various sizes from 1/4-inch(~7.5mm) to 3/4-inch (~19mm) or even 1-inch (25mm)

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/837603/Office-Depot-Brand-Removable-Round-Color/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mediacampaignid=71700000041996131_1595784683&&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15P_5Mu19QIVQwPnCh3RRQZLEAQYAiABEgI1q_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13122O/Inventory-Labels/Removable-Adhesive-Circle-Labels-Fluorescent-Orange-3-4?pricode=WB0437&gadtype=pla&id=S-13122O&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15P_5Mu19QIVQwPnCh3RRQZLEAQYAyABEgInA_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hippy/Mod variations ;)

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3870/Inventory-Labels/Blank-Inventory-Circle-Labels-Assortment-Pack-Fluorescent-1?pricode=WB0527&gadtype=pla&id=S-3870&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15P_5Mu19QIVQwPnCh3RRQZLEAQYByABEgJRvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 250swb said:

I write on masking tape stuck to the baseplate, most types work but Tamiya yellow modellers tape is best because it's very thin, the glue is also less aggressive than some brands.

The same with me (I'll look out for the Tamiya though!). Although as I now shoot only one M camera and only use a Sekonic L308s with that set to my chosen ISO, it's become less necessary.

This camera has a built on memory- disk on the left but i prefer just a piece from the film box in the shoe.

Edited by Fotoklaus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

I write on masking tape stuck to the baseplate, most types work but Tamiya yellow modellers tape is best because it's very thin, the glue is also less aggressive than some brands.

I'm in the tape on the bottom gang too it does 2 jobs reminds me what film (and when I loaded it) but also I put it next to the opening tab so I don't "accidentally" open the baseplate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have four film M's that I use regularly, and I just keep a running list in a notebook of what film is in each camera, how it's exposed ect.  It's not too much variety -- currently one has Tri-X rated at iso 1250 which will be developed in Diafine, two Fomapn 100 (my main film) at box speed and then Eastman 5234 @ iso 6.  That's about as much variety that ever exits.  Sometimes I have the same film in each.  The benefit is at the end of the year you can look to see how many rolls you shot!  As a practical matter, you'll probably have to write down down some notes anyway of how film is exposed, so there's some guide in development.  

A real easy solution is find a fave film that looks good and develops w/o issue, and shoot that exclusively.  I know a lot folks out there could live exclusively on a diet of Tri-X and I bulk load a lot of Fomapan (ha, ha, mainly because it looks ok and it's cheap).  But creative types like variety, so it's good to experience different films, developers, ect.  

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1

I have only two film Leicas, an M and an R. M is only loaded with Delta 100 and Tri-X; I know which from the ISO settings. R has a "window" to check.

I would avoid stickers on the camera's body. Stickers use chemicals. Better use the smartphone to take a picture of the camera and the film before loading. Photo will tell you the date of loading, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Topsy said:

I'm in the tape on the bottom gang too it does 2 jobs reminds me what film (and when I loaded it) but also I put it next to the opening tab so I don't "accidentally" open the baseplate.

This is what I learned to use as multiple cameras user.

not too sticking sticker though

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EddieCheddar said:

Speed?

Well, if you look on the back of your M6 you'll find a wheel indicating the ISO values of your film. You even have to set the right value for the light meter to work properly. So remembering speed should be no problem for the M6.

9 hours ago, EddieCheddar said:

Color? Black and white? Speed?

Owners of an older M without lightmetering even have more options:  the little wheel has no function for the camera, it was just a "Filmmerkscheibe" - clumsily translated to "film reminder disk". You can turn it until the black space is on top and the index points to the film speed: you have a black and white ISO 100 or 160 or whatsoever film. If you turn it so the red space with sun is on the top you have a color ISO 100 or whatsoever film. You may use the flash symbol as well e.g. for slide film. The M-A only has a black or red index which I think may be used to indicate black and white or color. 

Of course even the "Filmmerkscheibe" doesn't tell you if it is a Ilford, Fuji or Kodak film. Users of old Leitz leather camera cases have an advantage: the cases often have a little space to put a cardbord from the film's box in it. People who shun the leather cases might use the hotshoe.