Looks like bad news for hopes on CL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well who knew, I must suffer from  "complex interdependency" 🙂

I purchased the CL from launch, already an M user, excited to have a body for my M lenses and some great TL autofocus lenses. 

I may have to find a cure for my condition and just move on, I see little point in continuing with L mount beyond using my CL until it eventually gives up.  I do think the CL/TL lines have added to the Leica customer base, with others like me spending far more than they sensibly should, (SL2 - Summicrons) maybe like me they will also be taking their hard earned elsewhere.  It's not a case of thinking Leica owe me an explanation or anything,  I am just genuinely disappointed that I no long feel able to do it all with Leica.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

Well who knew, I must suffer from  "complex interdependency" 🙂

I purchased the CL from launch, already an M user, excited to have a body for my M lenses and some great TL autofocus lenses. 

I may have to find a cure for my condition and just move on, I see little point in continuing with L mount beyond using my CL until it eventually gives up.  I do think the CL/TL lines have added to the Leica customer base, with others like me spending far more than they sensibly should, (SL2 - Summicrons) maybe like me they will also be taking their hard earned elsewhere.  It's not a case of thinking Leica owe me an explanation or anything,  I am just genuinely disappointed that I no long feel able to do it all with Leica.

I don't think we'll be able to do it all with Leica, but my (worthless and completely subjective) gut is telling me there will be a solution from the rest of the L-Mount alliance.  Sigma doesn't really have a functional, user friendly body.  I bet they come with something.  And as a relatively new (5 months) Q2 user, I can say that I still reach for my CL quite a bit.

I have come to the same conclusion.  I bought the TL series from the beginning had the M series and thought the two work perfectly the same and they did.  But I have to move on and M is fine.  That Leica may be my only equipment did not become right now.  I bought Leica because I want Leica and believed they could this time.

It's history repeating itself. My first Leica was the film CL, developed in cooperation with Minolta. It was a wonderful camera in many respects except one -- the meter was prone to failure. I had to replace it or repair the meter mechanism twice, and, though we didn't have the Internet back then, there was anecdotal writings that this was a common problem. Minolta would later market a CLE, an automatic with a new metering arrangement. Leica didn't incorporate it in its camera lineup, so the first Leica CL died. I was disappointed as I had been hoping for an upgrade on the CL.

Now Leica seems to be going down that road with the second CL. I had several Leica film cameras but left the brand when Leica early on said there would be no digital M camera, something they obviously had to backtrack on later. But by then, wanting to join the digital revolution, I had sold my M6 and three lens and returned to Nikon cameras, which I had used before my CL. I later migrated to the excellent Fujifilm X-E 1, 2 and now X-E 3. Last year I wanted to return to shooting with a Leica camera. The CL seemed to fit my needs except for one thing. It lacked image stabilization in its body or any of its lenses and that's something I need for low light, slow shutter speeds now that my hands aren't as steady as they once were. I saw on the Leica-rumors site speculation about a CL2 coming. In the meantime, I purchased a D-Lux 7 as I awaited the CL2. Now I guess it's not going to happen. The M camera and lens lineup are just too expensive for me these days and the Q2 with one non-interchangeable lens doesn't quite meet what I'm looking for. So I guess I'll keep using the excellent D-Lux 7 while sticking with the Fujifilm X-E4 for heavy-lift shooting.

Many of us have been in your situation. CL has been a perfect camera for so many people and I wonder if the Leica decision makers can realize that. If they think that CL users would immigrate to bigger and more expensive SL system; they are dead wrong!

Now that M11 has been launched, I hope that Jono is busy testing and (re)viewing a new CL! Also, remember that before digital cameras, "stabilization" didn't exist. We were doing our best with what we had till the digital world spoiled us!

I am sure that you are aware, DL7, although an  excellent camera, is not a real Leica. It is made by Panasonic.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

It works. - it is called the L-M adapter...

Wait, there’s an L-M adapter which can adapt an L lens to be mounted on an M camera body? How is that possible? I know that the reverse—M lens to L body—is in routine use, but not L to M. 

At the time that the TL/CL cameras were introduced, they were effectively a gateway for many neophytes to the world of Leica photography. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on one’s point of view, that role is now being filled by the highly successful Q cameras. Though the CL and the Q2 are not equivalent (I own both) I can understand Leica’s strategy of continuing the more successful entry level camera and discontinuing the less successful one. At this point in my photography life, the CL does everything that I need from a camera and does so at a compact size and with decent autofocus. I will stick with it while keeping an eye on APS-C cameras that Sigma and Panasonic may bring forth. 

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

From the business perspective the Q or Q2 are “one and done” cameras. The CL and TL are “systems” cameras with 7 TL lenses available and more from Sigma. That ultimately makes you more money than a “one and done” camera.

I agree, and that's why I wrote that the CL and Q2 are not equivalent cameras. However, the Qs are the current entry level cameras for the Leica ecosystem. The Q2 may be the best selling digital camera that Leica has ever produced. Not sure about that, but if it's not the best seller, it's close.

• Like 1

Why do you still read Leica rumours? This guy has absolutely no clue about Leica for years. Only reporting other sites/forum posts/Twitter information. 

And now he wants to believe that somebody dies just by looking at a video ? I don’t think that he is Sherlock Holmes. 
On the right table it seems to showcase current Leica models : TL2, Q2, chrome CL, SL2, black MP,  black M10-R, M10-Monochrom

There is obviously more lines on the wall. Video being 16:9 the top part is cut. You have to visit in person to see the whole damn thing  

Anyway they are at least working on three new models : Q3, SL3 and a mysterious third model not connected to the S3. It may be CL3 who knows ? 

My Leica Store. They assure me that CL2 exist. it is just postponed for unknown reasons. Aka components shortage. 
Think about it : for each future CL2 you’ll need a Maestro III chip, a screen, an EVF, a sensor, a battery, a shutter mechanism, etc… 

Which mean one less M11 built. So what ? Leica needs to build as many M11 first. Then they’ll be able to launch the CL2  

M10 were launch in early 2017  and CL in late 2017. History may repeat itself.

Another hint : S line is in the same situation for years : no more new S lenses. But new bodies are still release to please their owners  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2

My Leica store is absolutely reliable. 
I’ve got nice relationship with them. And of course I am a faithful paying customer. So it kind of help. 
They never lied to me before and were spot on for everything before. 
So I still believe them. CL2 being postponed is nothing they can do. They are just sales employees after all. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Maybe it depends on the expectations?

I don’t think that S3 sales expectations are very high. Certainly enough to cover the new sensor cost and make healthy margins. 

CL being the cheapest made in Germany with EVF camera has certainly very high expectations. 
But sadly Leica customers are kind of snob. Therefore only buying 24x36 cameras. After all Leica kind of invented it.