Looks like bad news for hopes on CL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, NigelG said:

As a T and TL2 owner - without wishing to be a harbinger of doom - I knew realistically that the T line was dead-in-the-water when Leica UK offer the £7045 list-price TL2/18/35/60 for only  £3995....

Whether the CL line will continue 🤔

I may have just splashed out on this! I only want the 18mm for my CL and thought I could sell the rest off and get most of my money back.

18 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Yes, but the 35 and the 60 are stunningly good!!

They’re way too big for me. Had the 35 before but completely defeated the point of having the CL and never used it. I know the glass is incredible but it’s almost comically large on the body. I like the idea of a macro but doubt I’d use it enough to warrant keeping it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Well, for all the doom and gloom, Leica has recently re-vamped its website, and the CL and TL2 systems have made it over to the new website …

https://leica-camera.com/en-NZ/photography

It's good to see the TL2 and CL still there and well presented.

Shame the web site is still driven from a nonsense database - under TL lenses the 23 and 11-23 are missing and 39mm B&W contrast filter are listed there.

Edited by FrozenInTime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Louis said:

A friend of mine has an interesting theory. He thinks the new Leica system would be a QL; based on Q body with TL interchangeable lenses!... 

Just another wishful thinking, in my view! lol 

Lol! The Q seems to be offered as a one camera one lens option for folks out there.. changing that could make the Q users furious IMO 😬 I think it’s their S line that is yet to catch up with the mirrorless era.. so, personally I would like it if they did that first 😁 (just ruffling a few more feathers) 😂

On 1/27/2022 at 3:05 PM, bandrews said:

They’re way too big for me. Had the 35 before but completely defeated the point of having the CL and never used it. I know the glass is incredible but it’s almost comically large on the body. I like the idea of a macro but doubt I’d use it enough to warrant keeping it.

Despite its size, I find that the Summilux-TL 35 f/1.4 balances very nicely on the CL. It does not feel at all heavy or clumsy. As for the glass, it is a very high quality modern lens. With my SL, I used mostly older Leica and Zeiss lenses. I loved the look that they produced, but I am no less satisfied with the look from the 35-TL. And I do appreciate having autofocus.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Lol! The Q seems to be offered as a one camera one lens option for folks out there.. changing that could make the Q users furious IMO 😬 I think it’s their S line that is yet to catch up with the mirrorless era.. so, personally I would like it if they did that first 😁 (just ruffling a few more feathers) 😂

Let the Q owners to be furious for once! :) CL owners are already very furious in regard to the current situation! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Louis said:

A friend of mine has an interesting theory. He thinks the new Leica system would be a QL; based on Q body with TL interchangeable lenses!... 

Just another wishful thinking, in my view! lol 

So, your friend must think that the QL would APS-C? What does he really know? Give us the goods. Everyone is waiting with baited breath. The CL community needs a new rumor to bat around. 😐

Edited by robgo2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robgo2 said:

So, your friend must think that the QL would APS-C? What does he really know? Give us the goods. Everyone is waiting with baited breath. The CL community needs a new rumor to bat around. 😐

Ha!…. I wish he told me more about his dream!… lol

2 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Despite its size, I find that the Summilux-TL 35 f/1.4 balances very nicely on the CL. It does not feel at all heavy or clumsy. As for the glass, it is a very high quality modern lens. With my SL, I used mostly older Leica and Zeiss lenses. I loved the look that they produced, but I am no less satisfied with the look from the 35-TL. And I do appreciate having autofocus.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great lens but I like my CL to be pocketable. If it doesn't fit in my pocket I might as well have my M10-P or SL2-S with me. It's just how I like to use my cameras - I'm sure everyone is different.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Has anyone considered or tried to use the Sigma FP-L with TL lenses? I know its EVF is a bit awkward but I wonder if it offers an alternative given the megapixels available...

As ergonomic designs go for a handheld camera, I don't think they come much worse than the fp (which I have, and value as an excellent tripod-mounted video camera). I know you can add an EVF box to the FP-L, but I don't think it brings it into CL territory for handheld usability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:54 PM, Daedalus2000 said:

Has anyone considered or tried to use the Sigma FP-L with TL lenses? I know its EVF is a bit awkward but I wonder if it offers an alternative given the megapixels available...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/11/11/sigma-fp-camera-review-tried-one-then-bought-it-heres-why/%3famp=1

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Enrique Santa said:

Read the comment posted by Eric in Huff's review ... Eric states "but I have had a lot of issues with banding and LED lighting. In natural lighting the camera is awesome but LED lighting is becoming more and more prevalent in today’s age. We have a lot of LED lights (Philips Hue/Sylvania) in our house and the results are pretty much unusable when our lights on. Even at 1/100 down to 1/50 I see still see hints of banding." ... and Huff seems to be 'in denial' ref the banding . The potential banding issue is one reason I decided not to buy an fp many months ago ... would be a hopeless camera for nocturnal city photography. 

The CL2 solution is the SL2 with TL lenses.

Here is my friend Gary’s take:

The CL was nice but I found the auto focus to be too hit and miss.  Gone.  However the TL lenses are superb. For about 2 years I used the 23 TL exclusively on my original SL camera.  Despite producing only 10MP+ images, I found that combo excellent and a pleasure to use (size and weight were perfect).  Paired with my S006 and M262 I was in Leica heaven.  I have no GOOD reason to explain why I sold it all off (I do have an explanation but I’d rather not get into it).

After flailing around for a couple of years, I've decided that for auto focus the best way to go was back to an SL but this time the SL2.  TL lenses on an SL2 produce 20MP+ images.  So now I am using the SL2 along with the 18-56 TL lens, the 55-135 TL lens and the Sigma 30 APSC lens.  No regrets.  Paired with my M10R and Q2 Mono I’ve got all my bases covered.

Long ago Apple had a marketing slogan “The computer for the rest of us.”  It was around this slogan that Apple built it’s 1980s and 1990s business.  Very cult-like.  We were Apple dealers in the 1990s until 2007.  It was a fun time.  We served lots of very interesting people that swore off the Windows world to be one of the rest of us.

I view the current Leica much like those Apple years.  A bit of a cult has formed around todays Leica.  However the difference is Leica doesn’t seem to encourage this cult.  The users seem to embrace this.  Leica is a small niche business that needs to make money to fund product development and don’t forget, Dr. K’s hobbies… watches, racing cars, one-off M bodies and lenses, global travel (and probably a host of other pleasures).

The folks stressing on the L-forum need to get a dose of reality… Leica will do what Leica needs to do to survive, thrive and fund Dr. K.  Maybe there’ll be a new CL.  Maybe not.  They have a very nice albeit expensive alternative which is the SL2.  CL's feature 24MP images.  TL lenses on an SL2 are 20+ MP images.  Not much difference.  And there are excellent albeit expensive SL lenses.  Toss in the very useful IBIS and the excellent EVF and the SL2 is a perfect option and upgrade.

And theses folks can take pride in knowing their SL2 purchase will put Dr. K. one step closer to enjoying all his toys.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LeicaS2 said:

The CL2 solution is the SL2 with TL lenses.

Here is my friend Gary’s take:

The CL was nice but I found the auto focus to be too hit and miss.  Gone.  However the TL lenses are superb. For about 2 years I used the 23 TL exclusively on my original SL camera.  Despite producing only 10MP+ images, I found that combo excellent and a pleasure to use (size and weight were perfect).  Paired with my S006 and M262 I was in Leica heaven.  I have no GOOD reason to explain why I sold it all off (I do have an explanation but I’d rather not get into it).

After flailing around for a couple of years, I've decided that for auto focus the best way to go was back to an SL but this time the SL2.  TL lenses on an SL2 produce 20MP+ images.  So now I am using the SL2 along with the 18-56 TL lens, the 55-135 TL lens and the Sigma 30 APSC lens.  No regrets.  Paired with my M10R and Q2 Mono I’ve got all my bases covered.

Long ago Apple had a marketing slogan “The computer for the rest of us.”  It was around this slogan that Apple built it’s 1980s and 1990s business.  Very cult-like.  We were Apple dealers in the 1990s until 2007.  It was a fun time.  We served lots of very interesting people that swore off the Windows world to be one of the rest of us.

I view the current Leica much like those Apple years.  A bit of a cult has formed around todays Leica.  However the difference is Leica doesn’t seem to encourage this cult.  The users seem to embrace this.  Leica is a small niche business that needs to make money to fund product development and don’t forget, Dr. K’s hobbies… watches, racing cars, one-off M bodies and lenses, global travel (and probably a host of other pleasures).

The folks stressing on the L-forum need to get a dose of reality… Leica will do what Leica needs to do to survive, thrive and fund Dr. K.  Maybe there’ll be a new CL.  Maybe not.  They have a very nice albeit expensive alternative which is the SL2.  CL's feature 24MP images.  TL lenses on an SL2 are 20+ MP images.  Not much difference.  And there are excellent albeit expensive SL lenses.  Toss in the very useful IBIS and the excellent EVF and the SL2 is a perfect option and upgrade.

And theses folks can take pride in knowing their SL2 purchase will put Dr. K. one step closer to enjoying all his toys.

I find my CL and SL2 to be somewhat similar when it comes to AF.. in good light, shooting contrasty subjects, it is quite reliable.. AFc is debatable though.. 

I agree about the usefulness of 23 on the SL system.. it is the reason why I never bothered to get the SL 35 f/2. The TL 23 is a perfect companion to my SL2.. I like it on SL2 more than I do on the CL