S 006 banding?

jpk

13 hours ago, Leica_006 said:

The examples you guys have are a bit different… I’ve had products break because I did something to wrong, or due to “wear and tear” - e.g. miles on a car. That’s cool, because both of those are within your control as a consumer - it’s one of the reasons I take such good care of my stuff.

This is different IMHO. More like a recall situation. They shipped a lemon, and offered to fix it - all good - but the fix can’t just be another lemon!

We’ll see how Leica does in this situation. They seem like a company that plays the long game and does the right thing. This is my first real issue with them. I’m a huge fan of their products, but even I have a breaking point. Note, I’m not even complaining about the service experience here… being told to wait for months while they move offices in NJ… that’s been pretty aggravating as well.

Most service technician and manufactures offer a warranty on their work. I would hope Leica would recognize this issue originated on their end. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Still waiting. Sensor was replaced in 2018 due to corrosion, in February 2021 it was in Germany for regular service (I asked for checking and cleaning), no issues found except minor stuff not related to the sensor, after it came back it was the first time the patterned stripes appeared, so I sent in test pictures, they stated Newton rings and asked me to only return the lens (it was the 70mm), after about half a year I had it back with no comment on the patterned stripes and no repair (no issues were found), I had to urge again and eventually got the body sent in as well, that was January 2022, after half a year they claimed the sensor is too old and cost almost 3000 to replace, I asked to look into it and replace the sensor for free, no answer since despite multiple phone calls emails. Summary: I am without a usable camera since February 2021. I was lent an SL2 for a few weeks with the mid range zoom lens for free, that was good, but other than that I am a bit disappointed by the S-Customer Service...

Am 11.9.2022 um 14:50 schrieb Leica_006:

We’ll see how Leica does in this situation. They seem like a company that plays the long game and does the right thing. This is my first real issue with them. I’m a huge fan of their products, but even I have a breaking point. Note, I’m not even complaining about the service experience here…

Did you get any news about your camera?

Edited by jpk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They said they replaced my sensor... but that's kinda confusing...I was told I got one of the last sensors when they replaced mine for corrosion a few years ago. All you have to do is take a few pics at ISO 400+... after the 15th successive picture, you'll start to see the patterns emerge if it's still a problem.

53 minutes ago, Leica_006 said:

They said they replaced my sensor... but that's kinda confusing...I was told I got one of the last sensors when they replaced mine for corrosion a few years ago. All you have to do is take a few pics at ISO 400+... after the 15th successive picture, you'll start to see the patterns emerge if it's still a problem.

So is it a question of the sensor overheating or something because of successive photos being taken at (sort of) high ISO? Does the problem go away if you leave the camera off for an hour or so, or is the damage then permanent?

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Pieter12:

So is it a question of the sensor overheating or something because of successive photos being taken at (sort of) high ISO? Does the problem go away if you leave the camera off for an hour or so, or is the damage then permanent?

I tried it yesterday evening and today morning: it starts from clean images and becomes striped after more shots. So yes: camera off for a while seems to solve the issue for the first few pictures.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Leica_006:

I can confirm that my repaired S006 does the same: first shot clean, from the 3rd shot the stripes start to appear, but way better than it was with the previous sensor. Fist shot ISO400 (100% crop, resized to 50%, sharpening, lens corrections etc. off):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

20th shot ISO400:

ISO800:

Note: stripes change direction as they did in previous tests...

EDIT: I just went through my S pictures from various bodies (including two S2s) and can say the stripes never appeared with the original sensors, only with the corrosion-replaced ones.

Edited by jpk

• 4 months later...

A quick follow-up. After working on my camera for nearly a year, I finally got my 006 back from Leica this week. The initial results (100 photos taken in sequence) are that the problem is fully resolved. During my correspondence with them, it was an issue that required support from Leica's R&D team, and getting ahold of some parts that were initially unavailable. Anyhow, glad to have my 006 back, and couldn't be happier to be a Leica customer - I don't know many companies that would chase down a problem like this and go way, way out of their way to fix it (at zero expense to me). While this was a pretty inconvenient situation - it reminds me that Leica is truly a company that stands behind the products they make, and goes to great lengths to do right by their loyal customers. I am very, very hopeful that this issue does not reemerge!

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Leica_006 said:

A quick follow-up. After working on my camera for nearly a year, I finally got my 006 back from Leica this week. The initial results (100 photos taken in sequence) are that the problem is fully resolved. During my correspondence with them, it was an issue that required support from Leica's R&D team, and getting ahold of some parts that were initially unavailable. Anyhow, glad to have my 006 back, and couldn't be happier to be a Leica customer - I don't know many companies that would chase down a problem like this and go way, way out of their way to fix it (at zero expense to me). While this was a pretty inconvenient situation - it reminds me that Leica is truly a company that stands behind the products they make, and goes to great lengths to do right by their loyal customers. I am very, very hopeful that this issue does not reemerge!

I have also had exceptional support from Wetzlar.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 3:47 PM, Leica_006 said:

It has gotten much harder to fix cameras because of all the electronics.  I was wondering if it was an issue with part of the boards, and not the sensor.  The maestro chip does a lot of processing before we see the image. Mechanical cameras are easier to fix and hold parts that do not degrade with heat and storage…. 

Glad it got solved!

David.

Yes, to me it looks as if it could be an interference between something oscillating, say a voltage supply, and a sensor circuit.

I still did not get any information from Germany about my 006.

Edited by jpk

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I've gone down a bit of rabbit-hole about the double-slit experiment in physics lately - where particles will take on diffraction pattern (act like a wave) when unobserved - but act normally (how you'd expect) when observed. Super odd result that is still a mystery in Physics. Got me thinking about this issue, where the patterns looked like diffraction...

Anyhow, glad they fixed you up too JPK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...