S 006 banding?

jpk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/10/2022 at 1:41 AM, Leica_006 said:

I've sent a note to Leica - New Jersey, I'll report back with what I hear/and my experience getting this resolved.

Note that New Jersey is moving, they said they will not be able to respond until after August 1.  Just FYI, it may be awhile. They are good folks though and may have some ideas.

Today I got an answer from Germany saying that the lens is fine and no error can be found! They needed exactly half a year to confirm this. Inbetween they stated a problem with newton rings, and now they even do not mention the initial problem at all... My S gear is basically useless like that!

Edited by jpk

23 hours ago, jpk said:

Today I got an answer from Germany saying that the lens is fine and no error can be found! They needed exactly half a year to confirm this. Inbetween they stated a problem with newton rings, and now they even do not mention the initial problem at all... My S gear is basically useless like that!

Curious, did you send the lens back to Germany, or was this all through sending images and data?

Yes, the lens is in Germany since January 2022: I had my S gear in for service/repair in 2021, after that I noticed the strange sensor patterns for the first time, so I sent them test pictures, and they asked me to send in the lens again, saying it's a problem with Newton rings.

Edited by jpk

Am 9.7.2022 um 13:42 schrieb Leica_006:

Last, check this out... the pattern changes from image to image. Note: each of these photos were taken in sequence, a few seconds after the other. I initially thought there was a correlation with shutter speed... but notice two of the images are at 1/750th of a second... again, makes me think this is about temperature of the sensor, and maybe Newton rings with the sensor cover glass (as it warps with heat)? no idea? but this has ruined a few amazing moments/photos for me recently (that I won't be able to get back) 😕

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow, so similar, thanks for posting! Did you ask Leica what they think of it?

Edited by jpk

Am 9.7.2022 um 13:24 schrieb Leica_006:

I decided to run extensive controlled testing and discovered a few patterns:

1. This happens across all of my lenses (120mm, 70mm and 35mm).
  2. This is happens at all ISO settings (from 100-1600).
  3. This phenomena is not present in the first few pictures I take (immediately after turning the camera on). But, starts happening after I'm 15-20 pictures in (which makes me think it’s related to sensor heating).
  4. Once the phenomena starts happening, it seems to be more pronounced at higher ISO settings.

Both of these images were shot at ISO 1600 at 1/60th of a second with my 70mm lens, within 2 minutes of each other. The only difference is one of them was taken earlier in a sequence of images (presumably, when the sensor was cooler).

OK, I also made a test with my 120mm: with cold camera switched on the first shot at ISO400, after that I took shots from ISO100 to 1600, so 6 shots in total, all in the first minutes after the camera was switched on.

The findings so far:

1. the first shot at ISO400 shows pronounced patterns in the shadows
  2. ISO100 looks clean
  3. ISO200 already shows patterns in the shadows
  4. from ISO400 I can see the patterns also in the lights
  5. the patterns change direction just like in the pictures by Leica_006!

So I can confirm we have the exact same problem. BTW my S006 also has a new sensor. I attach the ISO1600 shot, taken at 1/30s, plain export from LR with sharpening, denoising, lens correction etc. all disabled. The upper left corner of my test shot shows that the frequency of the pattern also changes:

Edited by jpk

vor 2 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

It seems like a camera issue. You should send the DNGs to Leica, they will probably fix it again (since you mentioned it just came back).

Not "just"..., see #24 😬 😬 😬

Edited by jpk

I've recently had a Leica S battery from the S2 era work fine in my S-E 006 but then the camera suddenly locked up, and it worked again after turning off and on, the battery showed as 'fully charged' yet in the end when I changed batteries the faults were gone. When I changed back to the 'faulty' battery the faults were back. 

• Like 1

I could replicate the problem with 2 different SD cards, a CF card and 2 batteries (one 006 and one 007 battery). The pattern changes slightly with the memory cards just as I remember it from the M9 (and M9M) but doesn't go away at all...

Edited by jpk

My 006 is on the way to Germany again.... Here some samples: 7105 was taken on CF card, 7106 and 7107 on SD card (the same SD card actually)...

Edited by jpk

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/16/2022 at 12:06 PM, Leica_006 said:

Hi jpk, I sent the content I posted into this thread to Leica and they asked me for DNGs, so I sent those along yesterday. I’ll post back once I hear back from them.

Any news? I got a message that the sensor needs to be replaced (it was replaced in 2018, so there is no warranty left on it): I called them and asked for clarification as they quoted a price of 2928.- Euros...

• 3 weeks later...

I literally live 15 minutes from Leica NJ, so I was waiting for them to be able to accept my camera in person (why risk shipping it) - but they are still not accepting drop-offs… sigh… so I finally just decided to pack it up and pay to ship it… my sensor was also replaced in 2020… I’ll keep you posted about what they say. JPK, that’s messed up that they are trying to charge you… clearly a manufacturing glitch… if they try to pull that crap with me, I’m getting out of Leica all together… I own an S, SL, M and binos… but not standing by your customers is a reason to rage quit a brand IMHO

I think it really is unfortunate, but I think being so aggressive about it is not that warranted. It is four years after it was done, and it is a ten year old camera. The warranty has to end sometime...you can't really expect the company to fix the cameras for free forever. Certainly no car dealership would ever keep replacing engines in a ten year old car for free... If they did continue to do this for free forever the cameras would be even more expensive than they are now.

Not to veer off into another domain, but at one point I had a BMW that I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder. It was just a few months out of warranty and BMW knew the part was defective as they had been replacing them under warranty for a while. The dealer (and BMW USA, after I wrote to them) insisted I was liable for the repair. Not very good PR in my opinion.

On the other hand, I have had nothing but good experiences with Leica for my S (006) and its lenses. Not that any work has had to be done, but they were forthright with communication and information about second-hand equipment that I purchased or was about to purchase, and even transferred the serial number of the body to my name after the original owner ignored my requests.

The examples you guys have are a bit different… I’ve had products break because I did something to wrong, or due to “wear and tear” - e.g. miles on a car. That’s cool, because both of those are within your control as a consumer - it’s one of the reasons I take such good care of my stuff.

This is different IMHO. More like a recall situation. They shipped a lemon, and offered to fix it - all good - but the fix can’t just be another lemon!

We’ll see how Leica does in this situation. They seem like a company that plays the long game and does the right thing. This is my first real issue with them. I’m a huge fan of their products, but even I have a breaking point. Note, I’m not even complaining about the service experience here… being told to wait for months while they move offices in NJ… that’s been pretty aggravating as well.