S 006 banding?

jpk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I didn't use my S for some time but had it serviced recently, so today I took some shots and noticed this kind of stripes I never saw before:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jpk

And here a black white conversion:

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Pieter12:

Interesting. I only seems to be present in certain areas, almost as if it were the texture of the material. Have you tried shooting something that is an even surface with even lighting and tone?

It appears also in totally different pictures (with different ISO etc.), so I don't think it's a property of what is captured...

• 4 months later...

Update: I was asked if I could send in test pictures so that they could verify the problem. I sent the pictures and waited again, until I called them a couple of weeks later and found the files were not forwarded. Sent them again, no answer since. Strange, as they first inspected the pictures, decided the banding comes from Newton rings and asked me to send in the lens.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update? I've also noticed the same thing in my images recently (I'm using a S 006 with a replaced sensor + the 120mm lens)? Oddly, for me, it happens more often above ISO 100 and in darker photos (especially the shadows) - see the example image, clear banding pattern in the shadows, but not in the highlights (that photo was shot at ISO 400). It seems like an electronics problem to me... specifically, when the sensor is photon starved? I never see this in photos where there are plenty of photons.

I decided to run extensive controlled testing and discovered a few patterns:

1. This happens across all of my lenses (120mm, 70mm and 35mm).
  2. This is happens at all ISO settings (from 100-1600).
  3. This phenomena is not present in the first few pictures I take (immediately after turning the camera on). But, starts happening after I'm 15-20 pictures in (which makes me think it’s related to sensor heating).
  4. Once the phenomena starts happening, it seems to be more pronounced at higher ISO settings.

Both of these images were shot at ISO 1600 at 1/60th of a second with my 70mm lens, within 2 minutes of each other. The only difference is one of them was taken earlier in a sequence of images (presumably, when the sensor was cooler).

• Thanks 1

Also, one last note. The "stripe pattern" is present across the entire image. It's just often easier to see in the shadows vs. the highlights.

Last, check this out... the pattern changes from image to image. Note: each of these photos were taken in sequence, a few seconds after the other. I initially thought there was a correlation with shutter speed... but notice two of the images are at 1/750th of a second... again, makes me think this is about temperature of the sensor, and maybe Newton rings with the sensor cover glass (as it warps with heat)? no idea? but this has ruined a few amazing moments/photos for me recently (that I won't be able to get back) 😕

• Thanks 1

Looks like gaberdine...very odd. It does sound likely that there is something going with the electronics as they heat up. Or maybe some sort of electrical interference? I wonder if that could also be what is changing the size and frequency of the banding...kind of like static in an older style television with an antenna. This kind of difficult to trace error can creep in with older audio equipment when a component on the circuit board like a capacitor or resistor starts to fail. Hopefully this is something Leica can find and address.

Edited by Stuart Richardson