Considering parting with my M7 in order to get a BP MP

16 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Add me to the list.  No issues at all with the rewind knob on my M-A.  Easier to use, IMO, than the angled crank on my M4.  

My 2003 MP is slightly easier than my 1962 M2 (CLA'd 2 years ago) but neither are in any way difficult.

I used a an OM-2 for years which has Aperture Preferred and Manual modes.  I gravitated toward Manual mode because it allowed a little more control for exposures.  With some anticipation and estimating the aperture-shutter speed before you raise the camera to eye level you will probably be within a stop of what the meter indicates.  As you compose and focus you can turn the shutter speed dial to get your exposure.  Undoubtably one more step but not a major hurdle.  

Good luck!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:36 PM, jnero said:

I had a similar problem up until a few weeks ago. I have a silver MP and a black chrome MP (a la card, that's why it's black chrome). But I really wanted to have a black painted MP, which I then use quite often until the brass comes out. I think only we leica users can have such a problem.

I am so into in a black chrome MP. Unfortunately Leica doesn't offer them.

• Like 1

I know, that's why the mp was then chosen for the "a la card" option. i am very happy to have this mp. but at the end of the day i find a black painted mp even nicer. I now have both versions. (and another one in chrome...) and at the end of the day i go on a photo stalk with the much used m4-p. we humans are a bit strange 🤪

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jnero said:

I know, that's why the mp was then chosen for the "a la card" option. i am very happy to have this mp. but at the end of the day i find a black painted mp even nicer. I now have both versions. (and another one in chrome...) and at the end of the day i go on a photo stalk with the much used m4-p. we humans are a bit strange 🤪

We never can have enough of film M cameras. :) 

We probably have the same issues like mechanical watch collectors. :D 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Brown said:

My biggest dilemma at the moment is choosing between a regular chrome M6 or black painted (very well done) M2 from 1960. I wonder what other members would choose...

It is probably coming down on the questions: 

- aesthetics

-  film loading system 

- framelines & viewfinder magnification on the M6

11 hours ago, biglenslittlelens said:

Traded in my M7 for a M-A. Mostly to remove the need for batteries and any possible electrical issues moving forward. I preferred just something mechanical.

The MP is still operational without the battery or when the electrical components of the light meter fails. So the MP wasn't an option for you?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, R4p70r said:

- aesthetics

-  film loading system 

You are correct, and another two attributes: the exposed vs. hidden frame counter and, of course (but not decisive) the meter of M6.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:27 PM, Al Brown said:

My biggest dilemma at the moment is choosing between a regular chrome M6 or black painted (very well done) M2 from 1960. I wonder what other members would choose...

Those are my 2 film M's - M2 and M6. Also just to add, I'm very glad that the M2 came with a rapid load system. So it's pretty much an M4. I'm sure I'd get used to the older spool loading but it's perfect the way it is. I'd love an M3 but that's sort of what's preventing me from getting one to use with 50/90.

It would be hard to choose between the two. I'd choose M2 though. The clean viewfinder is special. Not too many framelines or meter. Like it was said though, I shot some slide film with the M6 and that was perfect, because I did want to meter each shot. 

On 1/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Al Brown said:

Who painted the M2?  If Kanto I'd get it, mainly because I don't have an M2 and the novelty.  

On 1/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, R4p70r said:

- aesthetics

-  film loading system 

Maybe I missed it, but what magnification do you want?

I have a black-chrome M7 which is one of my favourite cameras. I too have spent three or four years deciding about adding an M3 or MP. More a romantic notion of a fully mechanical camera than anything else as I too love using the M7, although I did want a second film Leica rather than my backup CL.  Fortunately I’m in the financial position of being able to keep the M7 if I choose.

I often use aperture priority auto as fast manual especially with rapidly changing/complex lighting.- set aperture, scan the scene with the light meter, lock in the desired shutter speed half depressing the shutter, recompose and shoot. 

Personally I do not like black paint and the brassing even less.  I like how black chrome oh-so-subtly silvers when it wears.

So I was looking for either an M3 or MP. I often shoot with 28 mm so the M3 was potentially problematic but I like external finders.  This was initially the reason for hesitating about an M3 and why I was considering an M4-P.  I’m not that fussed if the second camera is meterless, I’m fairly good at estimating exposure but also use either a Lumu or small Ghana-held meter.

I’m almost 60 so finally decided on all 1962 silver ss M3, 2.0/50 Summicron and 2.8/90 Tele-Elmarit.  They’ve finally been bought in pristine condition at a combined cost of less than a new MP. Haven’t yet found a suitable 28 to compkete my 1963 set.

My wife has now put them away for when they’ll be my ‘surprise’ 60th birthday present later this year.

I think that if you love your M7 then selling it is a mistake. Can you wait longer to get a second film camera.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, MarkP said:

I have a black-chrome M7 which is one of my favourite cameras. I too have spent three or four years deciding about adding an M3 or MP. More a romantic notion of a fully mechanical camera than anything else as I too love using the M7, although I did want a second film Leica rather than my backup CL.  Fortunately I’m in the financial position of being able to keep the M7 if I choose.

I often use aperture priority auto as fast manual especially with rapidly changing/complex lighting.- set aperture, scan the scene with the light meter, lock in the desired shutter speed half depressing the shutter, recompose and shoot. 

Personally I do not like black paint and the brassing even less.  I like how black chrome oh-so-subtly silvers when it wears.

So I was looking for either an M3 or MP. I often shoot with 28 mm so the M3 was potentially problematic but I like external finders.  This was initially the reason for hesitating about an M3 and why I was considering an M4-P.  I’m not that fussed if the second camera is meterless, I’m fairly good at estimating exposure but also use either a Lumu or small Ghana-held meter.

I’m almost 60 so finally decided on all 1962 silver ss M3, 2.0/50 Summicron and 2.8/90 Tele-Elmarit.  They’ve finally been bought in pristine condition at a combined cost of less than a new MP. Haven’t yet found a suitable 28 to compkete my 1963 set.

My wife has now put them away for when they’ll be my ‘surprise’ 60th birthday present later this year.

I think that if you love your M7 then selling it is a mistake. Can you wait longer to get a second film camera.

This is a great comment. For now I may just wait for a little while. I have no issues with my M7 so I can afford to be patient and enjoy what I already have.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the M7, the MP and a bunch of others..  The M7 is Leica's best shooter if the #1 concern is to get the shot.  And it has the quietest shutter.  I do find the VF readout to be extremely annoying in certain circumstances.  If you use non DX film, or use exp compensation, or manually set DX, or have a low battery you will have the same continuously flashing single LED.  So dumb, distracting and annoying!  I wish Leica never added DX coding to this camera, it would have solved everything!

The MP is totally lovely.  But all Ms are!   Thing is if you have the itch to scratch, the only thing to do is scratch that itch!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, giannis said:

Adding my own heretical opinion: the M5 and the M7 are the best Leica shooters. M5 for the best ergonomics (by far!) and the M7 for its AP automation.

I also have the M5, and would agree.  Crazy thing is no other M camera - even the new M11! - has as comprehensive exposure information in the VF as the M5.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:54 AM, MarkP said:

Sounds great Mark !