Where Does the M11 Put the S?

John Smith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, Pieter12 said:

I can, too. But not at the same shutter speeds as a smaller, lighter camera with a lighter lens. Which also might be equipped with IBIS and OIS.

The M is my smaller, lighter system, which has neither, and is more limited, including lack of weather sealing, zooms, etc.  I find some systems too small and light for optimal balancing and ergonomics.  Always trade offs; always choices.

Jeff

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Post a link to your portfolio/webpage so we can share the excitement.

My website is https://ethanpines.com/, but you won't find anything from the S there yet.  I haven't had the system for all that long, and I just did my first commercial (editorial) shoot with it last week. I can't say who it was, but it's for one of the upcoming Forbes 400 covers.

In the meantime, here's some recent personal work with the S3. A few color here, a few B&W in the next post, all available light. You can't tell a lot from small jpegs, but the files are quite beautiful.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, epines said:

My website is https://ethanpines.com/, but you won't find anything from the S there yet.  I haven't had the system for all that long, and I just did my first commercial (editorial) shoot with it last week. I can't say who it was, but it's for one of the upcoming Forbes 400 covers.

In the meantime, here's some recent personal work with the S3. A few color here, a few B&W in the next post, all available light. You can't tell a lot from small jpegs, but the files are quite beautiful.

And a few B&W:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pieter12 said:

The one factor that no-one seems to be taking into account is size and weight. Unless you shoot on a tripod or monopod all the time, the smaller, lighter camera will be easier to hand-hold, giving sharper images no matter the resolution. The S is a beast and so are the lenses. I love both the the camera and the images I get from it, but I am also fully aware of the limitations of any large, heavy camera. You are not going to hand-hold the S with the 70 or 35 at the same speeds that you would be able to hold an M camera with a 50 or 28mm lens, much less the S with the monster 120mm.

I'm sure the M is hand-holdable at slower speeds than the S, but the S in my experience, although certainly a large camera, is adept at handheld shooting. It balances well, and the mirror slap is pretty smooth (at least on the S3). Maybe I'm just used to heavy cameras, but I get sharp images all the time with the 70mm at 1/60 (when braced/leaning against something) and 1/90 (when not braced). For the 45mm it's 1/45 and 1/60. I definitely haven't needed to shoot at 2x or 3x the focal length, as some posts have suggested elsewhere.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pieter12 said:

nless you shoot on a tripod or monopod all the time, the smaller, lighter camera will be easier to hand-hold, giving sharper images no matter the resolution. The S is a beast and so are the lenses.

I agree with Pieter. It's not that big a deal. I've done lots of all-day events with the S, and it's quite easy to keep steady. Anything in daylight is fine, of course, but you can get sharp images at longer exposure times with proper technique. It is a very well-damped camera.

3 hours ago, BernardC said:

I agree with Pieter. It's not that big a deal. I've done lots of all-day events with the S, and it's quite easy to keep steady. Anything in daylight is fine, of course, but you can get sharp images at longer exposure times with proper technique. It is a very well-damped camera.

Agree, but S180 would definitely benefit by a stabilised sensor like in SL2x or GFX100S (based on experience with S-lenses, including S180, on both bodies). The S70 is, in particular, handholdable, being small & low-weight. 

That being said, I try to avoid shutter speeds around 1/60 when using S. 

Edited by helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Pieter12:

The one factor that no-one seems to be taking into account is size and weight. Unless you shoot on a tripod or monopod all the time, the smaller, lighter camera will be easier to hand-hold, giving sharper images no matter the resolution. The S is a beast and so are the lenses. I love both the the camera and the images I get from it, but I am also fully aware of the limitations of any large, heavy camera. You are not going to hand-hold the S with the 70 or 35 at the same speeds that you would be able to hold an M camera with a 50 or 28mm lens, much less the S with the monster 120mm.

I try to go to 1/250 for either the M11 and also the S. I always found the S can be handhold with sharp results at this shutter time. But I also have handhold 1/125 and even 1/60 with the 70mm for example.

Edited by tom0511

It’s always an interesting discussion about hand holding a camera body and images.  In reality, it depends on the subject.  Taking daylight shots as some have said here, has typically faster shutter speeds and either system does fine.  Hand holding a camera to 1/15 or 1/30 second does no good if you want a sharp image of a moving subject.  If low light and moving subjects is the goal, then the SL2-S is probably the best system - its low light images are really superb.  Otherwise, in low light, it doesn’t matter just how well you can hold the camera, a tripod makes it easier regardless.  It stinks to miss a shot that looks like it could be great until you drill down into the details and see the camera shake.  Even a monopod makes a difference at the 30-60 mp range.

Most of my work is out on the coast, so I personally prefer the S and SL system which is easier to clean and does a really good job of keeping sand and salt out of the insides.  If it isn’t windy, I enjoy using the M or R system with digital or film, it’s just not sealed near as well.  Yet, if I’m walking around the island center, I have an M slung over my shoulder because it’s easier to manage and doesn’t scare people so much if I pull it up and take a picture.

My point is, it really comes down to subject and choosing a system for the light and the conditions you’ll face. 

Just my 2 cents!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 8:34 AM, tom0511 said:

I try to go to 1/250 for either the M11 and also the S. I always found the S can be handhold with sharp results at this shutter time. But I also have handhold 1/125 and even 1/60 with the 70mm for example.

Back in the day I could hand-hold a 35mm camera with a 50 at 1/15, even 1/8 if I could brace myself well enough.

• Like 1

Ah,

this is yours. Very nice!

I was surprised how similar the cover shots were  by different photographers.

Did they specify the lighting for each photographer?

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, LeicaS2 said:

Ah,

this is yours. Very nice!

I was surprised how similar the cover shots were  by different photographers.

Did they specify the lighting for each photographer?

Hello -- yep, that's mine. They did indeed ask that we all use a lighting setup like this, so the covers would have consistency even when shot in different cities by different photographers. I've been shooting for Forbes for about nine years. They are quite open to new ideas and the visions of individual photographers, but for the covers they like a consistent look.

I've been using the S3 on all my shoots now. Very happy with it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, epines said:

Hello -- yep, that's mine. They did indeed ask that we all use a lighting setup like this, so the covers would have consistency even when shot in different cities by different photographers. I've been shooting for Forbes for about nine years. They are quite open to new ideas and the visions of individual photographers, but for the covers they like a consistent look.

I've been using the S3 on all my shoots now. Very happy with it.

Great to hear that the S3 is working so well for you. It certainly LOOKS that way! 😆

Edited by mgrayson3