M11 Sensor Exposed

Olivier76

1 minute ago, digitalfx said:

The sensor is not exposed, rather the glass covering is.

Regardless, all digital cinema cameras are exposed in the same way, even ones costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nothing to be concerned with.

For those who pay hundreds of thousands, indeed, there’s nothing to worry about at all.  They can get many of those.:)

1 hour ago, Olivier76 said:

What is your take on the sensor being always exposed when camera’s on ? Should we be worry on more dust, exposing it to sun more than it should be; etc…

My guess is time will tell but as of now that is my main concern on the M11

Leica SL2, SL2-S, CL, TL2 have all sensors exposed when on and off. No issues there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

Leica SL2, SL2-S, CL, TL2 have all sensors exposed when on and off. No issues there.

Agree. But I live and work most in a windy and sandy place, and I got dust often on my M10 sensor. Which is always covered during regular OVF operations (not LV). So I can't only imagine if I would use here the M11. A little scared TBH.

The sensor exposed It's one of the reason why I didn't buy an SL2-s.  

nobody is concerned that their lenses are even more exposed?

Your sensor is not exposed...it is covered with glass and hidden behind a lens. 

Assuming you use common sense when handling the camera and especially when changing lenses, there is absolutely no reason to be so worried about the sensor. The risk of damage is far less than it is for your more expensive lenses. The vast majority of digital cameras are "exposed" if you want to call it that.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Agree. But I live and work most in a windy and sandy place, and I got dust often on my M10 sensor. Which is always covered during regular OVF operations (not LV). So I can't only imagine if I would use here the M11. A little scared TBH.

It's nothing to be concerned about. I'm used to cleaning my sensors before any major shoot (especially if I'll be shooting above f/8) and it's pretty routine. A rocket blower and a felt tipped lens pen works well. I think you'll be more likely to damage the shutter when it's closed, than you would the sensor itself, if you happened to lose your grip on the camera as you change a lens. All testing that I have seen shows sensors to be very hardy overall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

The dust gets on the sensor mainly when changing lenses, correct? When changing lenses, the shutter is closed on M11, as it is on all M10s.

12 minutes ago, SrMi said:

The dust gets on the sensor mainly when changing lenses, correct? When changing lenses, the shutter is closed on M11, as it is on all M10s.

I usually use my M10 w/ one lens only, per time. It's not common that I change lens. Even like this, my sensor get dirty from time to time. Maybe for the 2min-only I use the LV?

Changing lenses on an M11 is safe, like an M10. But being the sensor exposed all the time, It's logical that is more vulnerable.

56 minutes ago, Stevejack said:

It's nothing to be concerned about. I'm used to cleaning my sensors before any major shoot (especially if I'll be shooting above f/8) and it's pretty routine. A rocket blower and a felt tipped lens pen works well. I think you'll be more likely to damage the shutter when it's closed, than you would the sensor itself, if you happened to lose your grip on the camera as you change a lens. All testing that I have seen shows sensors to be very hardy overall. 

Correct. I love f/8 too, and it's where it shows the "dust art" at its best 🙂 I clean the M10 sensor: just blower every "x" time, and pen LensPen when it's too much 😅

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Only if one turns off the camera before changing lenses, according to reports from those who actually have the M11.

(I asked that question specifically on, I think, Jono's review thread.)

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Virtually all modern mirrorless cameras do it.

Yep - but most modern mirrorless cameras (if not all) have some form of auto dust-removal. Usually vibrating the sensor ultrasonically (and sometimes using the same drive system as their IBIS).

My olympus camera used to shake dust off ultrasonically and it never had dust issues like my leica M262 sometimes does.

Trouble is the menu was like reading "war and peace" by tolstoy without the hollywood makeover!!

I now have a calm and confident dust remove  procedure in place for my leica.

30 minutes ago, adan said:

Only if one turns off the camera before changing lenses, according to reports from those who actually have the M11.

(I asked that question specifically on, I think, Jono's review thread.)

Yep - but most modern mirrorless cameras (if not all) have some form of auto dust-removal. Usually vibrating the sensor ultrasonically (and sometimes using the same drive system as their IBIS).

Yes, only if you turn the camera off. I understood that was a given when changing lenses. The cameras are not designed for hot-swapping SD cards or lenses, though it might work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SrMi said:

The cameras are not designed for hot-swapping SD cards or lenses, though it might work.

Swapping lenses with the camera on has never been a problem for me, over 10s of thousands of lens changes since my first M8. Although that is only 35% or so of all my lens changes in that time - sometimes the camera is already off.

It's only a significant issue if there is an electronic connection between the camera and lens - possible voltage spikes or garbled data and such - which the M system has carefully avoided (thus far, and I hope forever ;) ).

Pro gear either survives it's time in the barrel, or it doesn't. (M8 and M9s earning a living)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess time will tell us what difference the M11's exposed sensor makes regarding dust - with and without changing lenses.

Edited by adan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, adan said:

Swapping lenses with the camera on has never been a problem for me, over 10s of thousands of lens changes since my first M8. Although that is only 35% or so of all my lens changes in that time - sometimes the camera is already off.

It's only a significant issue if there is an electronic connection between the camera and lens - possible voltage spikes or garbled data and such - which the M system has carefully avoided (thus far, and I hope forever ;) ).

Pro gear either survives it's time in the barrel, or it doesn't. (M8 and M9s earning a living)

I guess time will tell us what difference the M11's exposed sensor makes regarding dust - with and without changing lenses.

Leica’s manuals recommend turning camera off before changing lenses. I also never had issues when changing lenses when accidentally leaving the camera on. However, when I notice it, I do a power cycle. I do not know what happens when the 6-bit codes change on the fly. 

1 hour ago, adan said:

WOW this is one the most badass pictures I've seen on this forum! 

• Like 1