Why the new shutter is OK

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here we'll convince ourselves that there's nothing wrong with the new shutter.  We'll also look askance at those who insist it's a deal breaker.

I'll start: I used it for a bit and there was no immediate jarring differences.  I am OK with the original M10 shutter as well as the quieter one of the M10-P and onwards.

The startup time is not noticeably longer than M10 series.

It could or could not be a reason to wait for M11-P.  The best scenario is that they'll add EFCS via firmware update.  But even then we're looking for half a year or so, and using such a fun camera can't be put off for long.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Reciprocity said:

Thankfully Leica has a lot of great choices in a digital M now so it is not an end of the world thing. 

In theory the silver version with brass cover should dampen the "noise" better than the black alloy version.

So for people who can't live with the "noise" (if they didn't already die during the times of SLR or M8/M9/M240, M10 pre-P) might opt for silver. 

• Haha 1

I have the original M10, M10p and the M11 in front of me on my desk and I’ve also asked every family member (even kids) to have a listen for the difference. From what we conclude, the M11 shutter mechanism is nearly identical to the very quite M10p. However as we all know by now, there is an additional shutter step due to the new and improved metering system thus causing 1 additional sound. Hence the entire shutter sound seems lengthened by either one third or one quarter which isn’t much of anything really. Decibel wise due to the additional sound, it does make it seem like the M11 is just a tiny smidge louder than the M10p, but you really have to be trying hard to hear it.

All in all, I’d say it’s a non issue. At least for me it isn’t.

Note: Going back and listening to the original M10 shutter afterwards was shocking. It is nothing like the M11’s shutter decibel wise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

M10R owner here. I love the shutter in the M10R, but I am loving the pictures from the M11 (especially high ISO) so much that I believe I can easily look past the shutter. If I didn't already have a M10R then I would have already ordered a M11. My assumption is this is why Leica launched the M11 when they did instead of spending more time refining the shutter. I am hopeful that they come out with a firmware update to add two features: 1) EFCS shutter mode 2) leave the shutter open when the camera is powered off or sleeping. These two features would do a lot I imagine to make people happy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, setuporg said:

Here we'll convince ourselves that there's nothing wrong with the new shutter.  We'll also look askance at those who insist it's a deal breaker.

I'll start: I used it for a bit and there was no immediate jarring differences.  I am OK with the original M10 shutter as well as the quieter one of the M10-P and onwards.

The startup time is not noticeably longer than M10 series.

It could or could not be a reason to wait for M11-P.  The best scenario is that they'll add EFCS via firmware update.  But even then we're looking for half a year or so, and using such a fun camera can't be put off for long.

I went to the Los Angeles Leica store to pick up my serviced Noctilux today and tried a black M11 today.  Turning it on, and taking photos, I did not feel any additional clunkiness and the shutter sounded as low as my M10R.  I did put my name on the silver M11 waitlist but I am also on the silver M11P waitlist.  We'll see if I can hold out for the P; otherwise I'll get the regular M11 and trade it in for the P when it comes out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UliWer said:

In theory the silver version with brass cover should dampen the "noise" better than the black alloy version.

So for people who can't live with the "noise" (if they didn't already die during the times of SLR or M8/M9/M240, M10 pre-P) might opt for silver. 

Or just every time you shot leica you can stick noise canceling earphones in your ears, that should solve it, man…Leica should have included AirPods Pro with the camera, not just the iPhone cable

• Haha 2

I was out shooting mine today, it is very windy and I could barely hear the shutter at all….  I have an M10R-BP as well and honestly I can hear a difference but if no one had brought up the issue in the first place I don’t think I would have ever really thought about it.  I will tell you that the battery capacity is great and have no intention of turning off between snaps….  I prefer the BP finish but it definitely scratches more easily than the new black finish.  

I think the biggest question I have is, when are the smaller image sizes used and what are the advantages ( other than storage and post processing compute power ).  it seems that all the reviewers are not seeing a noticeable difference.  I was wondering if the pixel binning is done in hardware or software?  If it is hardware and the overall sensor scan time is reduced for smaller files.  If this was the case then wouldn’t that reduce the rolling shutter effect when using the electronic shutter?  I need to understand how binning is done, time for a little research:). I could imagine some sort of custom logic which sums the pixels and then though presents it self as a single addressable unit????? I doubt it but it was a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

For sure, this will become as a polarizing issue as an internal EVF.  The question will be, what can be done about it, how strong the armies facing each other will be in relative terms, what Leica will do about it, etc.

Coming soon to Leica stores worldwide:  The M11 hearing protector.  It's like the headphones you see guys on road crews wearing when they run the jackhammer, but they have the same pebble black finish as the M11 and the Leica red dot.

• Haha 4