Shutter noise in M11

sincurves

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Picked up my M11 and gave it a go just now. The shutter seems surprisingly loud. Distinctly more noticeable than what I remember the M10-R to be. And what is more disturbing is how the shutter can be felt through the body - seems like the dampening is off.

Mine is a chrome/brass top, but that shouldn’t matter. It puzzles me a bit since I handled a black M11 in the shop and did not notice this.

Could be a lemon or as designed - either way it’s back to the shop next week.

3 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

I have an M10M and M11 side by side...the sound is virtually identical, except there is an additional thump sound. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how quite it is after reading the early reports of it being louder.

Could you please shoot a side by side video with no lenses on the body?

• Like 1

here is a quick side by side...in person the sounds are pretty close, with the M11 being just a bit longer. They both sound like they have the same level of dampening, unlike the original M10 which was louder. But as you can see in the waveform, the M11 is slightly louder

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

yea, I dont get the drama...I almost cancelled my pre-order when I heard all the comments about live-view being on at all times and its affect on shutter sounds. Only a Leica owner can tell the difference, anyone not familiar with the M would never hear these differences.

IMO DPReview got this wrong;

"Another small niggle is the M11's shutter sound. Several Leica M10 variants featured a redesigned, notably quiet shutter mechanism which I had assumed would be adopted in the M11. Not so. The M11's shutter sounds to my ear exactly like a stock M10."

To my ear, this sounds exactly like the M10M/M10R Shutter...it sounds nothing like the original M10

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

To my ear, this sounds exactly like the M10M/M10R Shutter...it sounds nothing like the original M10

What if… different copies sound differently?:). The ones I tried yesterday sound much more like M10R than the original M10.  I agree that M11 sound is not at all like the M10.  So either we have sensitive ears on some, or loud shutters on others…

1 minute ago, setuporg said:

What if… different copies sound differently?:). The ones I tried yesterday sound much more like M10R than the original M10.  I agree that M11 sound is not at all like the M10.  So either we have sensitive ears on some, or loud shutters on others…

Highly unlikely...Its actually newcameradrama syndrome

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

By the waveform and what I am hearing, the 11 sounds a fair bit sharper. My M10-P sounds nice and soft so it really does work in terms of being "quiet". I suspect though that the M11's electronic shutter would be fine to use in a lot of the work in which silence is golden. But by the sound of it, I would still have to hear it in person to make a final judgement. 

Edited by Reciprocity

Thanks for including the waveform; to me the M10p sounds refined. I wouldn’t call the M11 shutter sound harsh but it’s does sounds less refined than the M10p. Do the shutters feel the same under the finger as haptics are of high importance to me.

• Like 1

your hearing an iPhone recording inches from the cameras...in person it has the same soft dampened sound of the M10R. The differences are insignificant imo...to the point its almost comical that I have wasted this much time.  I feel no real differences under the finger...the only difference is that the M11 has an extra thump in its sound, but its all so subtle

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, UliWer said:

@ digitalfx: Was the M10 Monochrom in Liveview when you made the film for comparison? 

I think my M10 Monochrom in Liveview sounds slower and more complex than what I hear from the M11. 

M10M not in live view

M11 with live view function off (screens)

I rarely use live view, so for me that was not as important, and since we cant technically turn it off, this was the best comparison

3 hours ago, RMF said:

Thanks for including the waveform; to me the M10p sounds refined. I wouldn’t call the M11 shutter sound harsh but it’s does sounds less refined than the M10p. Do the shutters feel the same under the finger as haptics are of high importance to me.

No difference under the finger for me.