What bag to carry the M-11 in?

jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, KEL said:

Oberwerth Muenchen Blackline: M11 plus M10M according to mood, and still room for 2-3 additional lenses. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Since I have an Oberwerth Strap, I lust for this (ok, I want it). Their leather quality just oozzes.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, Robert Blanko said:

Maybe a Billigham, Oberwerth whatsoever with a customized cutout, so that others may readily recognize the M11 (and not an inferior M model) inside the bag.

Yeah! With the new bottom plate shining out, with theft prevention for your battery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Slam630 said:

Those Fogg bags look really nice. I’ll have to check them out next time I go to the NYC area

I just took mine out of retirement for the M11...bought this in 2016
  • Like 7

Lowepro Tahoe. It weighs almost nothing, its says 'pity me' rather than 'mug me' and it has room for all you lenses too, plus a decent sized tablet. I personally took all my bags out of storage and parsed them for suitability.  It took quite a while but the Tahoe is the winner... and it's dirt dirt cheap too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tashley said:

Lowepro Tahoe. It weighs almost nothing, its says 'pity me' rather than 'mug me' and it has room for all you lenses too, plus a decent sized tablet. I personally took all my bags out of storage and parsed them for suitability.  It took quite a while but the Tahoe is the winner... and it's dirt dirt cheap too.

Thanks for the tip, but I'd use the Tahoe foremost for MF or LF gear for landscape photography, and not for a street camera like the M11, the hassle to get it out of the back won't give me any chance for a decisive moment. The M11 has even become more street camera with the reduced weight, it's the lightest M ever if I'm not mistaken. So I would carry it with the shoulder strap, the original or a silk one, and an extra lens in my waistbag from PacSafe. I can't stand those posh Fogg's.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jon Warwick said:

haha, someone did have to start it!

Billingham's Leica M Combination bag for me would always be my choice.

....a great compact size for any of my Ms, and has a very useful front zipped pocket (keys, phone, wallet etc) ..... and happens to also snugly accommodate an SL2 or GFX100S when they positioned on their side, so lots of flexibility.

Or the Billingham 35 rucksack.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Thanks for the tip, but I'd use the Tahoe foremost for MF or LF gear for landscape photography, and not for a street camera like the M11, the hassle to get it out of the back won't give me any chance for a decisive moment. The M11 has even become more street camera with the reduced weight, it's the lightest M ever if I'm not mistaken. So I would carry it with the shoulder strap, the original or a silk one, and an extra lens in my waistbag from PacSafe. I can't stand those posh Fogg's.

Thanks. Your reply highlights that we all have different needs! I like to carry two or three lenses and the EVF and I also find that a ‘one shoulder’ bag becomes a strain after walking around for a while whereas a backpack  doesn’t - but my way of working is to have the camera round my neck the whole time so the bag is just for the lenses etc.  

I have two different sized Billinghams and they look nice and Leica-like but they really annoy my shoulders after more than a hour. And I never got on with sling-style bags.

Edited by tashley
  • Like 3

A camo ONA bag so I can totally blend in on the Tajik - Kyrgyz border (true story).

1 hour ago, tashley said:

I have two different sized Billinghams and they look nice and Leica-like but they really annoy my shoulders after more than a hour. And I never got on with sling-style bags.

I agree...I rarely carry my bag while shooting, I use it mostly for travel or transporting my kit. I typically choose one lens when I am out walking and stick to that. But sometimes I will carry a 2nd lens in a Zing lens pouch attached to my belt loop. The advantage of shooting M

The large pouch holds the 24 Summilux or 50mm Noctilux, the small case will hold most any smaller lens like the 50 Summicron or 35 Summilux

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, digitalfx said:

I agree...I rarely carry my bag while shooting, I use it mostly for travel or transporting my kit. I typically choose one lens when I am out walking and stick to that. But sometimes I will carry a 2nd lens in a Zing lens pouch attached to my belt loop. The advantage of shooting M

The large pouch holds the 24 Summilux or 50mm Noctilux, the small case will hold most any smaller lens like the 50 Summicron or 35 Summilux

I will take a look! Thank you. 

Not sure if anyone can help but my daughter is starting college and as a reward for working so hard in high school and the doing so much stressful work in the application process, I am giving her one of my silver TL2s along with the 18-56 zoom.  She became interested in photography about a year ago and commented she liked the TL2s when she saw me use them.  The combo is a little smaller than a M11/lens but I want to include a small "fashionable" and colorful bag an 18 year old girl would want to carry.  I thought a Billingham S2 in Burgundy would be nice but it seems on back order everywhere.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

46 minutes ago, ymc226 said:

Not sure if anyone can help but my daughter is starting college and as a reward for working so hard in high school and the doing so much stressful work in the application process, I am giving her one of my silver TL2s along with the 18-56 zoom.  She became interested in photography about a year ago and commented she liked the TL2s when she saw me use them.  The combo is a little smaller than a M11/lens but I want to include a small "fashionable" and colorful bag an 18 year old girl would want to carry.  I thought a Billingham S2 in Burgundy would be nice but it seems on back order everywhere.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

That's a nice gift! I have this bag (even in this colour, which looks stunning in my opinion). It holds my CL and three M lenses up to 90mm F2.8 or MATE. I would consider it too big for a TL2 with standard zoom only. The two extra compartments remain unused in this case. But it is extremely well made, even better than my various Hadley bags. The zipper gives extra protection and nicely gets out of the way when not required. I would not recommend this bag for someone who uses a shoulder strap with the camera. There is not much space between camera back and the lid of the S2. A shoulder strap needs to be rolled up tightly to fit the space which takes some time. For a camera with shoulder strap, I would prefer something like the Billingham 72, which I also own. Hope this helps.

Maybe one more comment about the S2: while I said I would not recommend the bag for a camera with shoulder strap, when used without shoulder strap, there might be a danger that the zipper scratches the camera display. The shoulder strap prevents this because it sits between display and zipper. Thus, there are problems with and without shoulder strap. As a result, I am not using the S2 very often - I prefer the 72.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Artin said:

Love to see the interior of that ? 

Padded bottom and sides. Padded internal flap.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Artin said:

Love to see the interior of that