Function buttons not working correctly on New M11

Nicky Scali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mikek61 said:

Thank you.  Accepted. I deleted my sentence telling you to shove it.   LOL.   I do have over 30 years in electromechanical development, design, mfg and supplychain.  So I am qualified in my statements.   Have a good one.  

No harsh feelings here.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:59 PM, Camaro5 said:

I am really surprised so many of you are having issues right out of the gate.  If I had just spend $9K on a camera and it didn't work right I would be furious.  

Please be furious for us so that we can stay positive and enjoy shooting with our cameras :).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stevieg said:

Many thanks for that insight.

That would also fit with the other issue that I have been getting not infrequently. When the camera is on a tripod and I have Live View on, I will activate the 2s timer (eventually!) via the top Fn button. If I then try to magnify/focus aid the screen for critical focus, I often can't get the scroll wheel click to register and also I can't always get the touch screen to register my finger pressing on the area of the sensor to magnify. The little + that should show which area is to be magnified often takes multiple finger presses to activate.

I often need to half press the shutter to clear the 2s red circle in order to then activate the magnification/focus aid.

Multiple competing processes.... (self timer, focus aid, touch screen area for magnification)?

I think the touch screen issue is separate.  They are not the most responsive from what I’ve seen…. Just need to be patient, slow and deliberate with them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Please be furious for us so that we can stay positive and enjoy shooting with our cameras :).

I didn't buy one.  You did.  You should expect it to work right without any issues.  

Edited by Camaro5

I expect it to take pictures in basic Leica mode, set up as it comes straight from the factory, and it does that well.  Then I start trying to customize things a bit (e.g. setting up the four user display profiles).  That's not exactly working as in the manual (there is a manual now).  I only get a histogram with a shutter half-press.  Not what I was expecting.  The buttons' short or long press behavior seems OK to me so far.  But it's tricky to get the timing right.  A lot of this stuff is the sort of thing that disappears invisibly in minor firmware releases.  Leica's communications with their overseas sales teams is not high bandwidth, so if the stores are accepting complaint units back without question, that may just be good customer management.  (Maybe that is how the online sales branch got so many early units to sell.)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I expect it to take pictures in basic Leica mode, set up as it comes straight from the factory, and it does that well.  Then I start trying to customize things a bit (e.g. setting up the four user display profiles).  That's not exactly working as in the manual (there is a manual now).  I only get a histogram with a shutter half-press.  Not what I was expecting.  The buttons' short or long press behavior seems OK to me so far.  But it's tricky to get the timing right.  A lot of this stuff is the sort of thing that disappears invisibly in minor firmware releases.  Leica's communications with their overseas sales teams is not high bandwidth, so if the stores are accepting complaint units back without question, that may just be good customer management.  (Maybe that is how the online sales branch got so many early units to sell.)

Like an OVF, the M11's live view keeps equal brightness regardless of the settings. Exposure simulation kicks in only with the half-press of the shutter. A histogram is meaningful only when exposure simulation is on.

Leica's solution works well for me. With other cameras, I must manually switch the "OVF simulation mode" on and off (menu or, if I am lucky, a function button). It's error prone and cumbersome.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, SrMi said:

Like an OVF, the M11's live view keeps equal brightness regardless of the settings. Exposure simulation kicks in only with the half-press of the shutter. A histogram is meaningful only when exposure simulation is on.

Leica's solution works well for me. With other cameras, I must manually switch the "OVF simulation mode" on and off (menu or, if I am lucky, a function button). It's error prone and cumbersome.

Good point and a reasonable solution.  Just not what I was expecting.  A bug in the manual, not in the camera, perhaps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Good point and a reasonable solution.  Just not what I was expecting.  A bug in the manual, not in the camera, perhaps.

You may want to change Capture Assistant>Exposure Preview>Permanent. This will show you the histogram all the time.

P.S.: Thank you for making me figure it out :).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SrMi said:

You may want to change Capture Assistant>Exposure Preview>Permanent. This will show you the histogram all the time.

P.S.: Thank you for making me figure it out :).

And thank YOU for taking the time to figure it out . . .

• Like 1

This sounds more and more like a debounce issue.

Some cameras likely have buttons with noisier / bouncier contacts, some with less. The debounce algorithm likely wasn’t optimized for all of them, hence why it happens for some cameras, and not for others.

Long press always works because there’s nothing to debounce for a long press.

Should be firmware-fixable, if the debounce is being done in software.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, orcinus said:

This sounds more and more like a debounce issue.

Some cameras likely have buttons with noisier / bouncier contacts, some with less. The debounce algorithm likely wasn’t optimized for all of them, hence why it happens for some cameras, and not for others.

Long press always works because there’s nothing to debounce for a long press.

Should be firmware-fixable, if the debounce is being done in software.

I think you are correct here (from what I understand it will be fixed in software)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, LUF Admin said:

I can acknowledge that – we had contact with Leica:

A new firmware should fix that problem and will be released next week.

Andreas

Actually that’s a great opportunity to test the new possibility of upgrading firmwares via the Leica Fotos app directly ! 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I did a bracket exposure test at 6400 iso in Large DNG, 3 frames.

the camera FREEZES on the 3rd frame... I had to turn camera off. no button was working anymore... happened 3 times in a row....

I didn't aspect been a beta tester on M11

Hi There

I've tried to duplicate this as well and it's worked fine for me - I tried about 20 times on different settings as well.

Is it still happening?

best

Jono

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There

I've tried to duplicate this as well and it's worked fine for me - I tried about 20 times on different settings as well.

Is it still happening?

best

Jono

same here, cant replicate. I will add though it sounds like only 2 images are taken (shutter sound)...but get all 3

Repeated a dozen times, no crash. You must have a different setting than we have...you might try a different profile and see if it still happens.