Handling the M11

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was fortunate to stop by the Leica Store SF, mingle with the whole gang including Roy Olson emerging after the webinar, and behold three silver, one black M11, and the new Visoflex.

My impression is favorable.  The startup time is OK, not a terrible eternal wait of Steven.

There's nothing cheap about it.

The SD card is easy to get under the battery, no big deal.

The internal memory is cool.  You have to remember to set SF First in storage options and it adds some confusion as to where the stuff goes unless you pay attention.

Live view is easy to control with the Fn button.  Visoflex eye detection makes it easy to use and in fact quite alright for an EVF.  Solidly made.

The colors, however, are completely new.  Unless you have an M9.  They look closer to Canikon/Fuji than to M10.  They are livelier than X1D.

There's nothing aerial like S.  It would be a major departure for many and I'd lean towards keeping the M10-R for a while.  Also if you are used to the idiosyncratic metering of M until M10, apparently there's a whole new approach in M11 that will throw you off.  I actually enjoy some dark photos I get from M10-R.

Electronic shutter is cool!  Looking forward to swinging Noctiluxes in broad daylight.  A sad point is that @Overgaard will not be able to borrow your spare ND filters if you don't carry any...:)

Adding one should be fun!:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 4