Connecting M11 to Mac via USB cable

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/14/2022 at 4:12 AM, Tailwagger said:

Hmm... over on red dot, Farcas wrote:

"Currently, the M11 only has options for Apple MFi and PTP modes. While Mass Storage mode might be coming in the future, it’s not an option right now. PTP, or Point-to-Point USB mode enables data transfer for software that specifically supports the camera. At launch that includes Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Bridge Photo Downloader, Apple Image Capture Utility, and Apple Photos. But the camera won’t show up as a drive in MacOS or Windows without Mass Storage mode. The SL2 has options for both PTP and Mass Storage, so hopefully this is added sooner rather than later."

Oh I am going through the problems one by one. Sorted flash with Godox trigger and flash...... next was  connecting the USB-C cable to find nothing, so thank you: Apple Image Capture Utility, does indeed show the M11 as a source. Roll on 'normal' mass storage capability i.e. it shows as TWO drives Internal M11 and SD M11.

The last one I cannot do anything about fiddly SD cards to get out! Ok putting in, but I need finger-nails! Maybe the time has come to only use a cable!

Otherwise I am so happy with the M11.

13 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

The last one I cannot do anything about fiddly SD cards to get out!

I have them... ex classical guitarist... they won't do you much good, particularly if you buy the grip, which makes card removal even more difficult.  Still, it might be better than the SL2. There I've found on more than one occasion that if I'm too nonchalant when popping out the card, it can go flying across the room and take a while to find.  Makes me appreciate the subtlety in engineering these things. There's a Goldilocks zone for springs here that seems quite narrow and difficult to achieve. 

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I have them... ex classical guitarist... they won't do you much good, particularly if you buy the grip, which makes card removal even more difficult.  Still, it might be better than the SL2. There I've found on more than one occasion that if I'm too nonchalant when popping out the card, it can go flying across the room and take a while to find.  Makes me appreciate the subtlety in engineering these things. There's a Goldilocks zone for springs here that seems quite narrow and difficult to achieve. 

I have the grip! Just updated to the latest 1.3 firmware and at last DNG to SD and JPG to internal. Haven't gone through anything else yet to check. Next would be perspective control.

Edited by idusidusi
Firmware updated info.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Am 4.2.2022 um 20:36 schrieb jonoslack:

Well, PTP will work if the DNG previews show up properly in LR - which shouldn't be so much of a problem.

But I've asked for mass storage as well!

Yes, you can import directly from Leica M11 to LR with a USB-C cable (Import/attatched devices...) - but this does not work with CaptureOne (yet...) 
(maybe a solution somewhere?)
Greetings
Michel

• Like 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb idusidusi:

Yes Capture One is a no, but Image Capture on Mac works perfectly to import the images both DNG and JPG or just DNG. I still prefer to remove card to card reader, but is good to have Image Capture as a RELIABLE method alternative.

GREAT! You made my day!!! 
You are right! For customers I just describe how to get pictures from internal storage to the computer... and yours is one solution for cable instead copying to a formatted!!!!!! SD card

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read thru all the posts on this topic here and I haven't seen the solution I am going to suggest so here it is:

It's a bit funny that it works but it works perfectly for me. You can use the Parallels virtualization application on the Mac with the free version of Windows 11 for M1 (the ARM version) inside it. You configure the Leica M11 camera with PTP and the storage camera folders are prompted and listed as available. You can copy the files in Windows. Later you can even copy them to a folder inside the Apple MacOS host. Works pretty fine. 

It's amusing that a Windows virtual machine inside MacOS can "see" the Leica M11 storage while the MacOS itself can't see it. I guess this is the funny side of virtualization.

Edited by Virtus

I have no problems with the latest version of MacOS and firmware 1.6.1. If the camera is set to PTP one can import the files directly from the camera into LR via USB-C cable. And different to previous software versions You can see the preview images in the import module too. So You need no Parallels virtualization application if using Lightroom, which is a PTP program (different to MacOS).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elmars said:

I have no problems with the latest version of MacOS and firmware 1.6.1. If the camera is set to PTP one can import the files directly from the camera into LR via USB-C cable. And different to previous software versions You can see the preview images in the import module too. So You need no Parallels virtualization application if using Lightroom, which is a PTP program (different to MacOS).

That method works without fail for me as well. Not only can LR see the internal camera memory, it can also see the images on the SD card. I've been doing it that way since I got the camera in early January and it works great. I open LR, turn on the camera, connect the cable and the import dialogue opens almost immediately. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a usb-c cable that has a "lightning" symbol on it with an arrow at the bottom of the lightning. It charges the camera OK from my computer, but when I turn the camera on and try to import to Lightroom, it doesn't see any photos. It does see the device.

Is it because of the cable I have? I've gotten this to work before.

Yes, I'm on PTP mode. And when I just put the SD card in, it works just fine.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by kinetic