Connecting M11 to Mac via USB cable

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It works.

- Make sure you have Android Transfer installed (Mac only)

- Change Camera Settings>USB Mode to PTP

- Connect M11 to your Mac.

You can copy data from internal or SD card via Finder. It is not possible to directly import from Lightroom.

Correction: to enable import to Lightroom, quit Android Transfer application.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, SrMi said:

You can copy data from internal or SD card via Finder. It is not possible to directly import from Lightroom.

Thx for the reporting! Seems a little odd that LR doesn't work.  Out of curiosity, does the camera appear in finder as a browsable file system or something else?  Assuming it still looks like a mounted file system, perhaps an Adobe update could address this. 

Just now, Tailwagger said:

Thx for the reporting! Seems a little odd that LR doesn't work.  Out of curiosity, does the camera appear in finder as a browsable file system or something else?  Assuming it still looks like a mounted file system, perhaps an Adobe update could address this. 

It uses Android Transfer, it does not mount as an external disk on Mac. That is why LrC cannot import on Mac. It should work on Windows where Android file systems are mounted as disks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Ach... sorry... just noticed its PTP. 

Hmm... over on red dot, Farcas wrote:

"Currently, the M11 only has options for Apple MFi and PTP modes. While Mass Storage mode might be coming in the future, it’s not an option right now. PTP, or Point-to-Point USB mode enables data transfer for software that specifically supports the camera. At launch that includes Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Bridge Photo Downloader, Apple Image Capture Utility, and Apple Photos. But the camera won’t show up as a drive in MacOS or Windows without Mass Storage mode. The SL2 has options for both PTP and Mass Storage, so hopefully this is added sooner rather than later."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You shouldn't need any Android transfer software to connect to an Apple device/Mac. In the M11 Keynote they state that the M11 is a "certified to work with Apple products" device. The partnership with Apple is obvious in both the Keynote video production style, the iPad and Mac product placement and the inclusion of the USB-C to lightning cable with the M11. 

Edited by _Alex_
spelling

14 minutes ago, _Alex_ said:

You shouldn't need any Android transfer software to connect to an Apple device/Mac. In the M11 Keynote they state that the M11 is a "certified to work with Apple products" device. The partnership with Apple is obvious in both the Keynote video production style, the iPad and Mac product placement and the inclusion of the USB-C to lightning cable with the M11. 

They likely meant the USB-Mode MFi which connects reliably to iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch (USB-C to Lightning). It does not help with connecting to Mac.

You might be right, but that's not how it came across. The clip 

19 minutes ago, SrMi said:

They likely meant the USB-Mode MFi which connects reliably to iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch (USB-C to Lightning). It does not help with connecting to Mac.

You're right about the iPad/iPhone. I watched the clip again, but they distinctly say that USB-C connectivity for direct connection to Mac and PC is intended (and there's no caveat for needing special conversion software, etc.). I'm sure we'll get to see if there are any hang-ups as more M11s make it out into the world. 

Here's a link to the video -- connectivity segment is from about 12:40 to 13:45.

Edited by _Alex_
added YouTube link

7 minutes ago, _Alex_ said:

You might be right, but that's not how it came across. The clip 

You're right about the iPad/iPhone. I watched the clip again, but they distinctly say that USB-C connectivity for direct connection to Mac and PC is intended (and there's no caveat for needing special conversion software, etc.). I'm sure we'll get to see if there are any hang-ups as more M11s make it out into the world. 

Here's a link to the video -- connectivity segment is from about 12:40 to 13:45.

They do not say anything informative about the connection to Mac in that video. We were not talking about special conversion software. To connect to Mac you can either use Lightroom, Bridge, Apple Photos, etc, to import directly or transfer data via Android Transfer tool. You cannot mount M11 as a disc (see post #6).

• Like 1

To boil this down a bit, can you guys answer some simple user questions? - Let's assume working with laptop only (Mac or PC).  I go out shooting with only the interior card., and come back  I've been doing this for several days.  I want to review just today's shots on my laptop.  How do I do this, 

a) using a USB3.1 C to C cable,or

b) transferring just today's shots to an SD card which I insert in the camera.  ???

7 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

To boil this down a bit, can you guys answer some simple user questions? - Let's assume working with laptop only (Mac or PC).  I go out shooting with only the interior card., and come back  I've been doing this for several days.  I want to review just today's shots on my laptop.  How do I do this, 

b) transferring just today's shots to an SD card which I insert in the camera.  ???

Either way works. With a) you need one of the many apps that support it. 

8 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

c) Wifi?

1 hour ago, elmars said:

Not to the Mac so far only to Leica App on iphone or iPad

Have you changed USB mode to PTP? The LrC on my M1 Mac can transfer from M11 via USB-C cable. Not a Leica problem, but sometimes you need to use the proper cable at the proper port to be able to transfer between a camera and the computer. Computers ;-).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elmars said:

a) with ipmporting in Lightroom.

b) is possible too and the only way if You don´t have LR on Your Mac.

Farkas form LS Miami stated that Apple Image Capture is supported, so the M11 will show up as a listed device that you can select, display lists, and download files from (as I understand it).

vor 35 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

Have you changed USB mode to PTP? The LrC on my M1 Mac can transfer from M11 via USB-C cable. Not a Leica problem, but sometimes you need to use the proper cable at the proper port to be able to transfer between a camera and the computer. Computers ;-).

I meant, a WiFi connection direct to the Mac is not possible. No problem with the right cable.

• Like 1