sl2-s for weddings

Gavin Cato

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For anyone in the wedding game

I've shot weddings with 2 of the 47mp SL2 for say 18 months or so. The sl2-s didn't exist back then. Been super happy with the files, admittedly I did try and stick below 3200 iso.

I had a sl2 break the other day so on a whim I bought 2 x sl2-s's, and I'll sell one of my SL2 bodies and keep one as a 3rd spare, personal landscape camera.

I've done 3 weddings on the sl2-s's since then and they are fantastic. 

- The files are super clean with GREAT DR / ISO. Even at 6400/8000 odd iso the files are still very good. I would often slow down my shutter speed a bit on the 47mp body indoors to keep the iso reasonable but on the s model I have much more flexibility. 

- Practically every shot I took yesterday is in perfect focus. 3700 odd photos, and maybe 12-15 out of focus? Pretty good. Whilst I didn't struggle with the 47mp sl2 as such, I would often need to check the focus was ok when shooting fast. These new bodies are at near a 100% success rate.

- Despite having the new firmware on my sl2 - the sl2-s is sure as heck faster in afc and on the rare occasion I use the face detect. It's still obviously nowhere near a sony, but hey I'll take what I can.

- The files being half the size feels like editing small jpegs on the computer. Still plenty of Rez for customers, but so snappy to edit.

- The skin tones are FANTASTIC. Honestly after importing into C1 with my preset I'm looking at tons of photos that literally don't need editing.

Huge thumbs up for me for anyone shooting weddings/people. I still love the 47mp body, but I'll just use it as a remote camera at weddings or for personal use.

Edited by Gavin Cato
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Gavin Cato said:

- The skin tones are FANTASTIC. Honestly after importing into C1 with my preset I'm looking at tons of photos that literally don't need editing.

That must be a relief after coming home from a wedding with over 3700 images.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dennis said:

I think 24MP just perfect for weddings. I tried the SL2-S on loan for one day, and I have to tell you that yes, is a great camera, no doubts. But the AF I found not as fast as I would want.

it's certainly not as fast as a sony/canon etc. but I manage to make it work ok. When in doubt, single point af with afs is reasonably fast.

15 hours ago, littlelio said:

May I ask what flash system you used? Any comment?

I don't use flash on the leicas. 

Hi Gavin love the post! Just picked up a SL2-S recently but also have extensive Canon and Sony gear. I absolutely fell in love with the Leica. I’m now considering just shooting with Leicas for weddings and was wondering what lenses you use with your 2 bodies?
Also, I can’t decide between another SL2-S or SL2 for my second. Are there times when you miss your SL2 on a wedding day?
Lastly, which focus combo do you find works best during the Processional/Recessional? 

I use the SL 35/2, SL 50/1.4 lux, SL 90/2 & SL 90-280 and a sigma 14-24

The 35 & 50 are 80% of the day. I use the single field for af most of the time and steer with joystick. 

I use the face af mode for group shots and quite a bit of the couple portraits. The af is still nowhere near a sony but you learn to live with it.

I don't "miss" the SL2 but I do use it as a remote 3rd camera (i.e. back of bride coming down the aisle). I am still keeping it for personal use i.e. I'd prefer 47mp for landscapes on a holiday. But LOVE the sl2-s.

Edited by Gavin Cato
  • Like 2

I started shooting both photo and video with SL2-S (the SL2 before that) and it has been as wonderful as everyone is talking about here! I was coming from Sony, and as standard as their system is becoming when it comes to weddings, Leica takes the cake with its colours. No regrets moving from Sony to Leica for wedding work. One of my latest videos with the SL2-s can be seen here :)

Would love to see more video work with this beautiful camera!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 6:27 PM, Gavin Cato said:

I use the SL 35/2, SL 50/1.4 lux, SL 90/2 & SL 90-280 and a sigma 14-24

The 35 & 50 are 80% of the day. I use the single field for af most of the time and steer with joystick. 

I use the face af mode for group shots and quite a bit of the couple portraits. The af is still nowhere near a sony but you learn to live with it.

I don't "miss" the SL2 but I do use it as a remote 3rd camera (i.e. back of bride coming down the aisle). I am still keeping it for personal use i.e. I'd prefer 47mp for landscapes on a holiday. But LOVE the sl2-s.

Thanks so much! Love the lens lineup and so smart on the remote use!!!