Comparisons of M11 and M10R

John Smith

I would also be particularly interested in this. Especially given the comments in Jono's review about more vignetting on the M10-R (at least with certain lenses?) that he attributed to the sensor. If anyone with both cameras presently can do some controlled tests that might illustrate any notable differences between the two sensors, that would be excellent.

Well, my camera arrived.  Lots of stuff to go through, so I wont get to a test tonight. I can say that my initial impression is that vignetting, at least with a 53 year old 35mm 'lux shot wide open seems almost absent compared to what I recall seeing previously.  But screw that. Corner sharpness looks off the charts. ISO performance improved. This was a quick snap of the cat shot wide open under crap lighting.  ISO 12500.  Focus was on the eyes, which jut so happened to coincide with the lower right hand corner. I cant ever recall seeing lines that crisp at f1.4 wit this lens.  Obviously non-scientific, but AFAICT this camera is definitely bringing it, 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a few unexpected errands to run tomorrow, but I'll try to do a side by side with the 10-R to see if I'm not deluding myself or if the M11 is truly a step or two beyond.

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me or do the comparisons in that video seem somewhat dubious?  The ripples in the water in both images are in identical patterns, as is the position of the dog, with no difference in perspective. I guess the cameras could be mounted right next to each other with and the shutter release simultaneous, but still, I'm not sure.  At least to my eyes on my monitor, the video quality isn't sufficient to conclude very much.  Forgive my skepticism here. I'll wait for downloadable files to be persuaded. (Please link if you know of any.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The bad news is that it's fa, fa, fa, frigid this more here in the NE, so no real work for a day or two. The good new is that as result, I can sit here today and take requests. 

I did a very quick series of shots with a 35mm 'lux (1969), 50mm 'lux (current BC version) and the 75mm 'lux (Canadian).  Nothing particularly scientific. Just a single shot a ISO 100, wide open, with profiles in place (on a tripod)  Have to say that the new uncoded lens selection stuff is terrific! Any way, 35mm first. Probably a mistake, but I tried to focus on the iiif's lens, so the sides are not in focus, but this was more around the question of vignetting anyway.  I can do a corner acuity test later.  

Files where imported (raw) into LR, then exported with no adjustments. SooC. 

M10-R

M11

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

50mm 'lux:

M10-R

M11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

75mm 'lux

M10-R

M11:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not sure there's much to take away from these shots other than the color balance has changed a tweak or two. At full res here, the 11 does slightly out resolve the 10, but if that's all you're concerned about, I wouldn't be, its just not that noticeable.  Not all that useful I expect, but if there are any requests or suggestions, I'll try to accommodate them today. 

13 minutes ago, jakontil said:

thank you tailwagger for takin time, i couldnt notice difference in vignette here though or may be not wide enough to produce vignette and seemed like the file from M11 a tad warmer than from M10R

getting more and more interesting comparing between these two

My pleasure, hopefully these help a little rather than mislead. I noted virtually no difference in vignetting as well at least in this scenario***.  If I can summon the layers of clothing, perhaps I'll go outside and shoot something were it might be more evident... but no tripod too coooold!  Colors out of the box do seem a little warmer.  To my eye, the truth of the scene lies somewhere in between.  I suppose I could/should a WB card and set both cameras. 

[EDIT***]  What differences I do see, seem to go back and forth. I suspect are more attribute to slight changes in lighting.  (day light from windows on the left).

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb scroy:

While waiting for some more comparisons - here's a side by side - I just found.

is this serious? When looking at the pictures then the M11 or M10R have exactly the same brightness which is unlikeliyto be the case. I propose that you just listen to the music which is quite nice.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

is this serious? When looking at the pictures then the M11 or M10R have exactly the same brightness which is unlikeliyto be the case. I propose that you just listen to the music which is quite nice.

Nope. I’m fairly certain this video (as well as the other videos on YouTube comparing photos from the M10-R and M11 with zero narration) are using duplicate or nearly duplicate images taken from who knows what camera and editing in differences in post. Probably for the intention of cashing in while the M11’s hot. It’s entirely misleading and I’d be careful judging the merits of either camera from videos like these so close to the M11’s release date.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the images. As often the new product is much better than its predecessor. The data far superior. But when it comes to every day shooting the difference seems to be gone (or at least minimalised). To me the M11 examples are more colorful (sorry for the bad wording). But this has to do with the import profile into LR. Otherwise I see no difference that really would  matter.

On the other hand I would buy the M11 because of its new metering system. I just come home from mountains and snow (see my webpage). The Q2 is much easier to have the exposure right in extreme contasts. But I manage quite well with the M10 as well.

Ss you dan read out of my lines I am still looking fir arguments for the M11.

Edited by M10 for me

7 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

Nope. I’m fairly certain this video (as well as the other videos on YouTube comparing photos from the M10-R and M11 with zero narration) are using duplicate or nearly duplicate images taken from who knows what camera and editing in differences in post. Probably for the intention of cashing in while the M11’s hot. It’s entirely misleading and I’d be careful judging the merits of either camera from videos like these so close to the M11’s release date.

Indeed, and the the video’s cover is clearly click-bait.

• Like 2