Capture One profile for M11

Hanno

I realized that buying a Capture One perceptual licence would force me to pay a new licence if I want to gain the functionalities offered in a next version. I didn't realize that Capture one would only include new camera models in their latest C1 software version.

Shame on you C1. 

In C1's defence, they make it quite clear that a perpetual licence on a version does not entitle you to changes in future versions.  That is why they also offer a subscription service.  

Edited by digger1914

17 hours ago, digger1914 said:

In C1's defence, they make it quite clear that a perpetual licence on a version does not entitle you to changes in future versions.  That is why they also offer a subscription service.  

Very true.

As food for thoughts, while the annual subscription is cheaper than buying a perpetual license and upgrading it each year, if you don't renew the subscription, you would lose access to the software. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansvons said:

It's beyond me why someone who buys into the Leica M system (camera only 8k+, and that's only the beginning) doesn't have the pennies or willingness to pay developers for a proper postproduction application. 

Some people like to own things, or not be in a dependant agreement that's subject to change, not everyone wants to have updates and changes forced at therm. Not everybody needs to have the latest brushes and masking tools in order to have better photographs, not everybody needs to have both LR and PS. 

My newest camera is the M10, and I have LR6 that means had I chosen CC instead of standalone back in 2017 (when there was choice), I would have payed over £500 for camera model updates that I don't need, why should I do that? 

I just switched to mac so I have to go with CC now, yeah LR is faster (although perhaps that's just mac m1 pro chip!) and there's more tools and features, but I don't suddenly feel that I need to go and re-edit all my old pictures because LR v11 is so amazing.

The developers were getting paid before, and people were paying for their software and getting updates when they needed them. It's not like adobe, Microsoft and phase one suddenly said, "ok the free ride's over kids, time to get a job and pay your way" nope, they all saw a way to maximise revenue by renting instead of selling, which is fine until they make that the only option, then there's no freedom of choice, and it's always a shame to lose freedom of choice.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

yeah LR is faster (although perhaps that's just mac m1 pro chip!)

Not just the mac m1 pro chip.   The latest LrC on my 2019 intel iMac is much, much, much faster than the latest C1 on the same machine.   It is faster editing, faster browsing images, and at least an order of magnitude faster searching on metadata fields.

I prefer the C1 editing tools, yet find I can usually get the same results from either program.  What pushes me more toward LrC is NegativeLabPro for processing film scans.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Not just the mac m1 pro chip.   The latest LrC on my 2019 intel iMac is much, much, much faster than the latest C1 on the same machine.   It is faster editing, faster browsing images, and at least an order of magnitude faster searching on metadata fields.

I prefer the C1 editing tools, yet find I can usually get the same results from either program.  What pushes me more toward LrC is NegativeLabPro for processing film scans.

C1 v22 runs faster than my LrC on the mac, but the LrC performance is fine

5 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

but I don't suddenly feel that I need to go and re-edit all my old pictures because LR v11 is so amazing.

LR CC is a lot better, not just new features, but better algorithms resulting in (technically) better photographs. You may -understandably- not wish to reedit the bulk of your photographs, but redoing the best of them is certainly worth the trouble.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

LR CC is a lot better, not just new features, but better algorithms resulting in (technically) better photographs. You may -understandably- not wish to reedit the bulk of your photographs, but redoing the best of them is certainly worth the trouble.

Ahahaha maybe… for the really old ones I own a better external screen with a wider gamut now (which might be a better reason)

In my digital life I’ve gone from sooc jpegs, edited sooc jpegs, edited raw, edited raw with a colour calibrated workspace, and edited raw with (the same workspace and) custom profiles

In that time some pics have been popular, some have made some money, some have brought in some attention, but no one’s ever mentioned of the evolution of my workflow process 😅

On 1/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, Adam Bonn said:

C1 v22 runs faster than my LrC on the mac, but the LrC performance is fine

Interesting that we have different experiences.   I basing my experience on two things.

1) I've digitized lots of negatives and prints recently.  Dust is always an issue along with damaged negatives from being improperly stored.  Because of that I spend more time than I like using a healing brush.   Capture One 22 does not keep up with my brush dabs/strokes after a short period of time.  It stops trying coloring the strokes and eventually the cursor isn't responsive until I pause and let it catch up.   LrC will also slow down, but not until I've edited many 10s of photos.  I think it is a memory issue as I can get back to full speed in LrC by shutting down and restarting the program.   Good that that LrC starts up much faster than C1, too.  Restarting C1 does not help the issue.

2) I use smart collections based upon assigned keywords as an alternate method of organization.   Switching between collections is near instantaneous with LrC.  It is very slow with C1.

C1 catalog size is about 47K pictures.   LrC catalog size is about 54K pictures.   I have images in my LrC catalog that are not in the C1 catalog.  Catalog lives on my primary internal SSD.  Images are stored on an external SSD.

I don't really do those things, my C1 is faster to export and import than my LRc,

But you're right it is curious how different usage scenarios make for different experiences, IMO C1 isn't much of a DAM app, anything it does involving data extrapolation is sluggish compared to LR

But it seems C1 is better at using GPU, whereas LR seems to need CPU and RAM to run well