Leica M11 image quality (?)

AZN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/1/2022 at 5:42 PM, Photoworks said:

here is few DNG at 12500 ISO

just tests, nothing special, but I think the camera is quite good at 12500

DNG link here up for a week

Nice photos, and @Photoworks really appreciated you making truly higher ISO DNG's available. These cemented my decision to upgrade to the M11 as I see banding/artifacts randomly as low as ISO 8,000 in my M10. Almost four years ago I tested the Sony α9 before deciding to get my first Leica, an M10 and wrote about it, and back then the Sony easily could shoot at ISO 25,600. Nice to see the Leica's reportage camera finally getting up to speed. I just 🤣when some say ISO 800 is high ISO - I shot a ton of color film at higher ISO's than that before digital. If you have some at even higher ISO love to see them.

Edited by Rollin
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:36 PM, Nick Bedford said:

Thanks @tom0511! Yeah, I must admit that making custom image profiles requires a good deal of research and experimentation and a good deal of restraint too, haha. It's only after 12 years that I finally was able to produce my own custom preset that actually looked and worked quite well. Prior to that, I used VSCO Film presets.

Your definition of pop makes sense. Edge definition is often sacrificed in cheap lens optics as well as handling of colours in a sensor. Pop I guess is a multi-faceted result that includes both the sensor and the lens qualities.

That makes sense too. I remember editing a raw sample from the M9 CCD sensor and by default, it's colours were quite stunning, regardless of the quality of the actual subject (Yosemite Valley). High dynamic range CMOS-sensor raw files aren't quiote as magical by default, so that's where a good image preset can help to introduce some of that magic back into the result.

Dear Nick

Could you share some of the methods that you have found useful for the making of your own camera profiles ?

You mention presets. In which way is it different to apply a camera profile or to apply a preset that you have created (which I often do) ?

Do you have a link or do you know where I can find info on the making of color profiles (not general technical info but concrete advice) ?

Thank you !

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, AZN said:

Downloaded a few of the RAW DNGs available on the DPReview website at:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/1811299675/leica-m11-pre-production-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv

Because they are DNGs, they can be opened and edited in Capture One Pro without problem.

Thing is, am not blown away by the image quality.  Yes I know they are pre-production samples taken by less-than-expert photographers, but the image quality just isn't there IMO.

Especially for $AUD 13 500 (!)

Feel as though you could easily slot in images from a (say) Sony A7RIV and no-one would notice the difference…

Hoping better samples show up soon(ish).

Also, haven't seen any RAW-DNG samples yet of in-camera pixel-binned 32 MP images.  Anyone?

Two suggestions:

1 - Don't judge a book by its cover

2 - Don't judge a camera by its RAW files. 

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, lct said:

Sorry i don't understand what you mean by « don't judge a camera by its RAW files ».

In his original post @AZN said "...Thing is, am not blown away by the image quality.  Yes I know they are pre-production samples taken by less-than-expert photographers, but the image quality just isn't there IMO..."

What I was getting at is that RAW files from any camera are going to look "flat" - low contrast, colors that are a bit drab and lifeless, etc. 

The purpose of a RAW file is to deliver as much visual information as is possible for the photographer to work with, not to present a finished image for display.

Everyone knows that;  judging the M11 - or any camera - by the appearance of its unprocessed RAW files seems pointless.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Everyone knows that;  judging the M11 - or any camera - by the appearance of its unprocessed RAW files seems pointless.

Er, which is why I processed them in C1 v22.   ?

Since I wrote my original post, other RAW files have been made available, in a range of sizes (60 MP, 36 MP, 18 MP). Playing with these – again in C1 v22 – has yeilded impressive results.

Here be the discussion thread:

Now just to wait for the camera hardware/ firmware bugs/ snafus to be ironed out before dropping $AUD 13 500 for just the body…

Edited by AZN