Leica M11 image quality (?)

AZN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Torontoamateur said:

Then you should consider the Hasselblad 907X, But that is such a NON -Leica experience  Ugh !!!

actually i have it and a Hassy experience is an amazing experience in its own right. I am not yet 100% sold on the viewfinder though ..

11 hours ago, tom0511 said:

I like your images and the color! Personally I tried custom profiles once upon a time, but I am not good at it and my profiles worked fine for some images, and then npt goof for others, and I found it hard to get consistency. So for me its very welcome if a camera in combination with a raw processor and its profiles produces a look close to what I like.

In regards of "pop". For me it means that colors are saturated but should not look articial, image should have nice contrast and microcontrast, but also good tonality, there should be a "3d-look", good details.

Thanks @tom0511! Yeah, I must admit that making custom image profiles requires a good deal of research and experimentation and a good deal of restraint too, haha. It's only after 12 years that I finally was able to produce my own custom preset that actually looked and worked quite well. Prior to that, I used VSCO Film presets.

Your definition of pop makes sense. Edge definition is often sacrificed in cheap lens optics as well as handling of colours in a sensor. Pop I guess is a multi-faceted result that includes both the sensor and the lens qualities.

10 hours ago, otto.f said:

I read the idea of ‘pop’ first and foremost at Steve Huff’s site. This was in the context of properties of a lens, meaning how the focused subject stands out clearly from the unfocused area, so it has to do with edge definition and microcontrast indeed. When you follow the evolution from M8 to M11, you can see that the pop becomes less as the dynamic range increases. So in that sense pop can be a trait of the sensor too. 

That makes sense too. I remember editing a raw sample from the M9 CCD sensor and by default, it's colours were quite stunning, regardless of the quality of the actual subject (Yosemite Valley). High dynamic range CMOS-sensor raw files aren't quiote as magical by default, so that's where a good image preset can help to introduce some of that magic back into the result.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, charlesphoto99 said:

The image quality is fine, but overkill for most. Boring if not processed, which many members here don't do (and exact same thing for previous gens). It's kind of like hi-end hifi - at a certain point things can become too smoothed out, and lose that toe tapping quality at the expense of less 'noise.' Thing is, having disposable income doesn't equal talent (though I think we all know that, but also nothing wrong with having it and spending as one likes). It used to be pro cameras trickled down to the amateurs - now it's the other way around. Pros can only afford what's absolutely needed and/or tend to stick to something for longer times in order to keep a unified look. When the amateurs get bored and move on to the next iteration and dump their perfectly overkill $9K cameras is when us pros get to pick them up.

So please everyone, I insist the image quality of the M10M is really subpar to that of the M11 b&w conversion! Now flood the markets with those outdated obsolete bodies and help drive the prices down! My M10-R BP needs a companion...

Looking forward to seeing what the M12 can do. In the meantime I think a MacBook Pro Max 10/24 64GB 1TB machine has my name on it (and much harder to get than an M11!)

Oh my god Mr Peterson! I'm new here and I just saw in your portfolio that you portrayed Nirvana and Sonic Youth. You instantly became a God to me! Your photos are superb, I would have killed for having them in my room in the 90s. xxx

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Artin said:

What part of the 907 x is anything like a Mamiya 7 ?   Where is the rangefinder ? How is it relatively compact manual focus lenses ? Hasselblad is a lost cause they have not done anything that excites me in years 

I had serious FOMO over the 907x until I actually picked one up and handled it. Immediate thought was - I'm going to drop this sooner rather than later! Needs the $$ grip for sure. Pass. 

1 hour ago, Lagavulin27 said:

Oh my god Mr Peterson! I'm new here and I just saw in your portfolio that you portrayed Nirvana and Sonic Youth. You instantly became a God to me! Your photos are superb, I would have killed for having them in my room in the 90s. xxx

Thanks and those were some good - and at times bad - times. We were all just doing our thing. So happy I was a part of it and came away with some good photos to boot. Best, CP

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:41 AM, charlesphoto99 said:

The image quality is fine, but overkill for most. Boring if not processed, which many members here don't do (and exact same thing for previous gens). It's kind of like hi-end hifi - at a certain point things can become too smoothed out, and lose that toe tapping quality at the expense of less 'noise.' Thing is, having disposable income doesn't equal talent (though I think we all know that, but also nothing wrong with having it and spending as one likes). It used to be pro cameras trickled down to the amateurs - now it's the other way around. Pros can only afford what's absolutely needed and/or tend to stick to something for longer times in order to keep a unified look. When the amateurs get bored and move on to the next iteration and dump their perfectly overkill $9K cameras is when us pros get to pick them up.

So please everyone, I insist the image quality of the M10M is really subpar to that of the M11 b&w conversion! Now flood the markets with those outdated obsolete bodies and help drive the prices down! My M10-R BP needs a companion...

Looking forward to seeing what the M12 can do. In the meantime I think a MacBook Pro Max 10/24 64GB 1TB machine has my name on it (and much harder to get than an M11!)

You touch on a really interesting thing I see a lot and that is the lack of any post processing styles (except maybe exposure and WB?). If we take film, it's always post processed by nature and has its own fascinating colour and tonal rendition, grain, texture, etc.

But the digital Leica DNG profile on its own? I find it boring as hell to look at. It's just so perfectly... normal?

Here is a Kodak Portra 400 scan from my old Nikon FA / 50mm shot at sunrise. A digital raw file with no editing would never look anywhere as beautiful as Portra does with the same shot. The photographers I look up to always use some form of extra colour profile on their raw files and that's part of what makes their work so good.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Nick Bedford

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/19/2022 at 2:12 PM, algrove said:

Reid's review on M11 color versus M10R is interesting and food for thought.

Can anyone let me know how much (approx) it costs to subscribe to Reid Reviews these days ?  I can get to a 'subscribe' page but there's much to fill out and AFAIK no price advertised - perhaps it comes later int he process.  Thanks 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:41 AM, charlesphoto99 said:

I concur with the hifi analogy, and I've often thought the same. A few years ago I acquired a somewhat expensive hifi (Naim gear) which, initially, disappointed due to its detailed, but what I thought was too mellow, nature. Now I wouldn't go back. It just sounds more 'right' 😂

Also, take it from me that the M10M really is the perfect companion to the M10-R BP. That's the combination I have and having to decide which one to take is a great dilemma to be in!

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nodrog said:

I concur with the hifi analogy, and I've often thought the same. A few years ago I acquired a somewhat expensive hifi (Naim gear) which, initially, disappointed due to its detailed, but what I thought was too mellow, nature. Now I wouldn't go back. It just sounds more 'right' 😂

Also, take it from me that the M10M really is the perfect companion to the M10-R BP. That's the combination I have and having to decide which one to take is a great dilemma to be in!

Peter

Naim user here myself (DAC V1 into a Chrome Bumper 160 Bolt Down amp). IMO the most Leica-like of hifi brands. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lct said:

60 and/or 30MP would be perfect :).

here is few DNG at 12500 ISO

just tests, nothing special, but I think the camera is quite good at 12500

DNG link here up for a week

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8