Lenses and the M11

DocWhite

The „caveat“ that you could  not use the 35mm Summilux (unchanged) and the Dual Range Summicron have been in all manuals for digital M cameras. They were justified because  the Summilux has a sort of collar around the lens tube‘s rear which hits the interior of the camera when you try to attach it. Similar for the special mechanics of the Dual Range summicron. 

Since the M10 has an elevated bayonet flange there is more room and the Summilux‘s rear „collar“ does not touch the interior anymore (at least mine doesn‘t whereas I cannot attach it to the M9). There have been reports here in the Forum that the Dual Range Summicron works as well with the M10, while you could not use it with earlier digital models.

As the M11 has the same elevated bayonet flange as the M10 there is hope that the „warnings“ in the manual are not relevant anymore for both lenses, though this has to be verified by actual user’s testing.

Edited by UliWer

8 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

I think they are referring to the first version of the 35 Summilux, the Steel Rim.

I am not having any problems using my steel rim on the M11. 

It’s a shame that we can’t get @steven’s input on this because he has five of them, as well as several v2s. 

Edited by mon10a
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mon10a said:

I am not having any problems using my steel rim on the M11. 

It’s a shame that we can’t get @steven’s input on this because he has five of them.

Actually this applies to all Summilux 35 pre-asph built in Canada, so that includes V2. Some examples might be ok, others might have been changed during a CLA, hard to know...but I guess if you can focus properly and the lens can focus to infinity you shouldn't worry too much.

53 minutes ago, adli said:

Apparently the "Steel rim" version is supposed to give a better "Leica glow", but I don't understand that, given that the optics remains the same?

You can go check the 35mm pre-asph Summilux Thread in the lenses forum, there are a tons of images there from V1, Infinity lock V2, and regular V2 versions. Feel free to compare by yourself and read the discussions there :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adli said:

Apparently the "Steel rim" version is supposed to give a better "Leica glow", but I don't understand that, given that the optics remains the same?

Yes, it seems odd; one would expect that, if anything, lens performance would improve due to experience in manufacturing, changes in coatings, etc. However, according to @steven there are differences even among the five or so batches of steel rims made from 1960-66. I have only one steel rim, so I can’t say from personal experience, but the collector prices seem to bear this out.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:02 AM, UliWer said:

The „caveat“ that you could  not use the 35mm Summilux (unchanged) and the Dual Range Summicron have been in all manuals for digital M cameras.

Notwithstanding the manual the Dual Range Summicron seems to work as well on the M11 as the pre asph. 35mm Summilux:

I did see one Korean review of the M11 with the 21/4 Super Angulon. So I guess we know now that that problem child lens works with the new camera. There was severe vignetting in the sample images and magenta to the extreme left and right. Sort of a Italian flag syndrome. I dubbed it Austrian flag syndrome in my conversation with the person that sent me the article.

When I get a sample camera again, I'll see what other lenses now work OK with a digital M.

1 hour ago, derleicaman said:

I did see one Korean review of the M11 with the 21/4 Super Angulon. So I guess we know now that that problem child lens works with the new camera. There was severe vignetting in the sample images and magenta to the extreme left and right.

Are you referring to the pictures displaying a cityscape?

http://www.slrclub.com/v/leica_forum/176571

You will have better success than the person who did the review if you choose the lens profile made for the Elmarit 21, which already makes a difference on the M9 and if you focus a little closer. No need to set the lens at the infinity lock to have a sharp horizon with a 21mm.

31 minutes ago, Jul said:

Are you referring to the pictures displaying a cityscape?

http://www.slrclub.com/v/leica_forum/176571

You will have better success than the person who did the review if you choose the lens profile made for the Elmarit 21, which already makes a difference on the M9 and if you focus a little closer. No need to set the lens at the infinity lock to have a sharp horizon with a 21mm.

Yes, that’s the review I saw. Thanks for posting the link. I didn’t think you could use the 21/4 SA on the M10 safely. I’ll have to try it. I’ll use the profile you suggest.

6 hours ago, Alberti said:

I once saw a mint copy of the Elmar M 50mm collapsible at Leica Baumarchais. I wanted to use it on my M240. They did not want to allow me, because it would not fit.

I  didn’t buy. That should be added to the ‘list of suspected lenses’’.

There are several dozen threads in this forum about the usability of collapsible lenses with digital bodies. You can sum them up like this: You can use them, but you should avoid attaching or loosening them collapsed. The only collapsible lens which cannot be collapsed is the old 1:4/90mm Elmar in its collapsible version, because it's rear side is too broad for the narrow "mouth" of the digital cameras. The modern 1:4/90mm Macro-Elmar-M causes no problems at all. You can rule out that the tube of a collapsed lens will ever touch the shutter. If you are still shy to try, nobody forces you to do so, but you can use collapsible lenses for taking pictures with digital bodies. There are thousands of photos taken with collapsible lenses and digital M cameras to be seen in this Forum. 

Edited by UliWer

• 1 year later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

INCOMPATIBLE LENSES
  • Hologon 15 f/8
  • Summicron 50 f/2 with close-up function
  • Elmar 90 f/4 with retractable tube (manufactured 1954-1968)
  • Some examples of the Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 (non-aspherical, manufactured 1961-1995, Made in Canada) cannot be attached to the camera or cannot focus to infinity. Leica Customer Care can modify these lenses for use with the camera.