M11-P, what more can Leica add?

Masukami

My dream for the M11P is probably more of a dream for the M12. Leica seems to use previous generation sensor tech in new cameras. The A7R4 sensor was released roughly mid 2019. So to me this implies the M12 will most likely use a sensor with global shutter (stacked sensor) like the current Nikon Z9 & Sony A1. Leica could completely remove the physical shutter and simply add a small speaker to the camera. Then have a menu option to let you decide how your M11P or M12 should sound. Vintage M3 click? Modern M11 click? You get to choose! Joking aside, this would free up a bunch of physical space for an IBIS mechanism and make a lot of people happy. 😅  

Am 13.1.2022 um 21:55 schrieb RF’sDelight:

Apart from omitting the red dot…

Leica M9 —> Leica M9-P
Silver chrome cover instead of grey paint, vulcanite leatherette, sapphire cover glass (LCD)

Leica M (240) —> Leica M-P
Doubled RAM (2 GB), sapphire cover glass (LCD), image field selector back again

Leica M10 —> Leica M10-P
Touchscreen, level, more silent shutter

My guesses for the 2024 M11-P, apart from no logo, some where mentioned already:

• Black paint, brass top (brassing!) + silver anodized aluminium top (lighter!)
  • Metal hot shoe covers instead of plastic ones
  • Higher internal memory, 128 GB
  • Knurled pattern on the ISO and time wheel (like M10-R BP)
  • »classic« vulcanite like leatherette again –since using leather is getting political incorrect
  • »Leicavit MP« battery pack silver anodized/black paint, screwed at the bottom like the handgrip, connected via USB-C port (afterwards also available as accessory for M11)

😜

Edited by RF’sDelight

Advertisement (gone after registration)

57 minutes ago, RF’sDelight said:

My guesses for the 2024 M11-P, apart from no logo, some where mentioned already:

• Black paint, brass top (brassing!) + silver anodized aluminium top (lighter!)
  • Metal hot shoe covers instead of plastic ones
  • Higher internal memory, 128 GB
  • Knurled pattern on the ISO and time wheel (like M10-R BP)
  • »classic« vulcanite like leatherette again –since using leather is getting political incorrect
  • »Leicavit MP« battery pack silver anodized/black paint, screwed at the bottom like the handgrip, connected via USB-C port (afterwards also available as accessory for M11)

😜

»Leicavit MP« battery pack? Didn’t see that one coming from the left field!

A body with a thickness between M240 and M10 that offers enough space for a good image stabilizer, max 50 MP sensor, no triple resolution bullshit, internal configurable storage of 500 GB, no SD cards but larger battery, good data interface (like M11), global shutter , no longer a camera shutter enamore . Aluminum or magnesium housing. EVF from the M11, multiple color options for the body, not just black or silver (see Fuji). The electronically supported rangefinder then comes with the M12.😀🙃😇

I could see them doing an M11-s first with a cheaper sensor.

The price increase from 6600 to 9000 between M10 and M11  here in the US, there is nothing really besides the sensor that justifies that and am curious how overall it will sell.

The M11-P would need to be a more significant update, different sensor different shutter I would think. 

1 hour ago, Jk1002 said:

I could see them doing an M11-s first with a cheaper sensor.

The price increase from 6600 to 9000 between M10 and M11  here in the US, there is nothing really besides the sensor that justifies that and am curious how overall it will sell.

The M11-P would need to be a more significant update, different sensor different shutter I would think. 

On Leica's USA store: M10 is $8k, M10-R  and M11 are $9K.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:34 AM, BJohn said:

I do think that due to the fact, that the shutter is the same as in the M10P, at least some manual shutter mode (I give the timings, no metering at all) should be implemented with ease (probably also doable with some FW update). But yeah, EFC depending on the sensor and the current hardware wiring may be tricky and getting back the old metering is not possible without modification. You have a valid point there that this is not P-relevant.

Hence I correct my wish list:
- black paint, 128 GB internal storage, 4 GB buffer :)

Don't understand why electronic first curtain shutter couldn't be done given that the camera already does the first half of the function when in electronic shutter mode.  Just needs to finish with mechanical shutter which is already open.  Very puzzled as to why it is not included. I'd like to see EFCS added to the M11 via firmware (now).

If for some reason that can't be done or Leica won't, Plan B is just to put the metering cell back  + painted shutter blades.  As for the rest of your list, looks spot-on.

5 hours ago, mike3996 said:

The return of classical metering off the shutter.

I want to see 0.58/0.72/0.85 viewfinder options.

And fuck political correctness. I want leather and environmentally unfriendly paints.

I’d definitely be interested in finder magnification options. In fact, does anyone know why they stopped doing that?

I'm always interested in the P version for the lack of red dot. I too am wondering what they will do. Since they made shutter improvements on the M10P, I am hoping for perhaps even shorter shutter options for the Electronic Shutter. I said to myself, and my bank account, that the M11 wouldn't temp me with more pixels, but if I can ditch the ND filters, I would love that. Especially on the mono, where now you have to choose between ND or color filter if you don't want to stack them. Perhaps they are holding back that on the M11. Not sure what tech is required for that, but the Maestro III seems to have lots of gusto. Even the 2.3 stops (1/3 stop in ISO to 64, and 2 stops E-Shutter) gained with the M11 isn't quite enough with the f0.95 and f1.2 lenses. Do we have to wait a year?? How long is it usually?