Finally… peace and quiet 😅

shanefking

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

I readily admit then when I bought my first Leica - an M2 - i thought the base plate was the dumbest thing I had ever seen.  No other camera I was familiar with 'needed' a baseplate.  What a PITA!  

Fast forward many years to now and I can't imagine an M camera without a baseplate.  The fact that Leica did is disappointing. 

And in a few years, you’ll look at the baseplate and say to yourself “What was I thinking!” 😀

On 1/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, RexGig0 said:

I had  postponed buying a Visoflex 020, due to rumors about a better one being in development. My patience may well be rewarded. Leica has stated that the new Visoflex will be backwards-compatible with M10 cameras, when a firmware update is issued, in March 2022.

Maybe you want to reconsider - the new device apparently is metal, so they removed the GPS system.  I too was checking out the new Visoflex, but not any more.  I like what I have now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Maybe you want to reconsider - the new device apparently is metal, so they removed the GPS system.  I too was checking out the new Visoflex, but not any more.  I like what I have now.

Thanks. I had already noticed that, in another discussion, but do appreciate that you thought to notify me. I have not been geo-tagging images, thus far, anyway, unless shot with the iPhones, so, there is no rush to start, now. There is the trusty old notebook/log-book, of course.

For framing the shots, I may decide to remain happy with the 21mm Bright Line Viewfinder, for 21mm, and try using the entire frame of the camera’s optical viewfinder, for 25mm, when I receive the Zeiss 2,8/25mm, tomorrow. Some shooters seem to do well enough, even with 24mm lenses, without any external viewfinder. (I am thinking that Alan Schaller may be one of them. I am not certain.) It is not a problem to use the rangefinder to focus, with wider lenses, so, it is a matter of whether composition is a problem. Actually, I framed some 21mm shots, that I liked, before I had obtained the 21mm Bright Line Viewfinder. 

Edited by RexGig0

5 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

Some shooters seem to do well enough, even with 24mm lenses, without any external viewfinder. (I am thinking that Alan Schaller may be one of them. I am not certain.) It is not a problem to use the rangefinder to focus, with wider lenses, so, it is a matter of whether composition is a problem. Actually, I framed some 21mm shots, that I liked, before I had obtained the 21mm Bright Line Viewfinder. 

I found the video interview, in which Alan Schaller discusses using his 24mm lens, without an external viewfinder. The question about his lens choice is presented to him within the first six or seven minutes.

Edited by RexGig0

On 1/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, AllNoAll said:

Thank you for this thread!! With all the M11 coverage I’m seeing today it has me second guessing my recent purchase of a standard M10. I love the baseplate that is almost the same as my M2! Tell me 24mp is enough!!

So to follow up a bit on this. Being that I’m a control freak, I decided to test if the 24mp of my “new” M10/M246 we’re really enough to print large. I already knew it was more than what I needed for everything else. I sent a full res image file from my M246 to White House Custom Color labs, to be printed as a 20x30 print using their Art Printing service. Just got delivered today. One word. Wow! I can’t  imagine it could look better! 24mp is certainly enough for anything I would ever need. I also like that it forces me to create the image composition in camera, instead of relying on cropping. #masteryourcraft.

• Like 5