Finally… peace and quiet 😅

shanefking

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, now thats done with we can get back to the important discussion: appreciation for base-plates.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, AllNoAll said:

Thank you for this thread!! With all the M11 coverage I’m seeing today it has me second guessing my recent purchase of a standard M10. I love the baseplate that is almost the same as my M2! Tell me 24mp is enough!!

Yes of course 24 MP is enough

untill now 😉.

Baseplate,

you would not like the "other-side-locking-key of M10" the right side is on M2 !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ppkarppi said:

I have requested that the administraors will delete my account. I do not want to be a part of LEICA circle jerks we see here.

You get all sorts, particularly on the internet.  Sometimes, you just need to filter what doesn't interest you, and use the Ignore function.

I do get the feeling that there has been a surge in new members over the last year or so, and a drop off in the older voices which were, frankly, more informed and more interesting. There have been times when I have wondered if I've logged into DPReview by mistake!

But, the signal to noise ratio is pretty good here, and things do settle down as some of the more ... opinionated(?) newcomers get the hang of the forum.  New voices are always interesting, particularly if they are informing rather than just expressing opinions - everyone has them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

You get all sorts, particularly on the internet.  Sometimes, you just need to filter what doesn't interest you, and use the Ignore function.

I do get the feeling that there has been a surge in new members over the last year or so, and a drop off in the older voices which were, frankly, more informed and more interesting. There have been times when I have wondered if I've logged into DPReview by mistake!

But, the signal to noise ratio is pretty good here, and things do settle down as some of the more ... opinionated(?) newcomers get the hang of the forum.  New voices are always interesting, particularly if they are informing rather than just expressing opinions - everyone has them.

Thank you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AllNoAll said:

Thank you for this thread!! With all the M11 coverage I’m seeing today it has me second guessing my recent purchase of a standard M10. I love the baseplate that is almost the same as my M2! Tell me 24mp is enough!!

If you print to say 20" wide, then 24mp is absolutely enough IMHO.....the M10 or M240 is exactly native resolution for that print width at 300dpi output.   Now ..... for the BIG prints, admittedly, I do also own a Fuji GFX100S and 5x4 film camera, both of which have remarkable resolution (the GFX100S can also do multi shot mode, a bit like the SL2, to boost apparent resolution ....it really is incredible if you really want tons of fine detail). 

But for lighter weight travel and smaller prints, and well, because I just like to use Ms occasionally, I'm now considering picking up a used 24mp M10 - I'd guess there might be some on the market soon!

I quite like the baseplate too FWIW. It's quirky and fun, even if I've had near misses dropping it quite often. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AllNoAll said:

More than enough!  I shoot professionally, and unless you’re shooting for very large format prints of landscapes, even 18mp is sufficient.  Honestly I wouldn’t even want 40mp… the higher resolution means significantly more retouching if you are striving for perfection.  Most people do not want to see their skin blemishes in ultra high resolution. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jon Warwick said:

If you print to say 20" wide, then 24mp is absolutely enough IMHO.....the M10 or M240 is exactly native resolution for that print width at 300dpi output.   Now ..... for the BIG prints, admittedly, I do also own a Fuji GFX100S and 5x4 film camera, both of which have remarkable resolution (the GFX100S can also do multi shot mode, a bit like the SL2, to boost apparent resolution ....it really is incredible if you really want tons of fine detail). 

But for lighter weight travel and smaller prints, and well, because I just like to use Ms occasionally, I'm now considering picking up a used 24mp M10 - I'd guess there might be some on the market soon!

I quite like the baseplate too FWIW. It's quirky and fun, even if I've had near misses dropping it quite often. 😊

300 dpi is perfect resolution if you are standing very close, I think you could even do 180dpi and print larger with hardly anyone raising an eyebrow.  Add in Adobe’s improvements in using machine learning to up-res images, and I think its safe to say one can print pretty dang large without much effort.  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, peaceful, thankfully. Noting wrong with the M11, but, I am still learning things about my M10 and Monochrom 246 cameras, and the lenses that I have, on hand. I started Leica shooting, with an M10, in April 2018, and added a pre-owned Monochrom soon afterward. I might rather upgrade along the Monochrom path, but the Red Dot Forum’s ISO comparison shows that the Monochrom 246 does amazingly well, when compared to the newer M10 Monochrom, which has me thinking that a “faster” lens, to enable keeping the ISO lower, might be the better choice.

The newly-announced Visoflex does have my attention. I would like to learn more. I had  postponed buying a Visoflex 020, due to rumors about a better one being in development. My patience may well be rewarded. Leica has stated that the new Visoflex will be backwards-compatible with M10 cameras, when a firmware update is issued, in March 2022.

18 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Indeed, peaceful, thankfully. Noting wrong with the M11, but, I am still learning things about my M10 and Monochrom 246 cameras, and the lenses that I have, on hand. I started Leica shooting, with an M10, in April 2018, and added a pre-owned Monochrom soon afterward. I might rather upgrade along the Monochrom path, but the Red Dot Forum’s ISO comparison shows that the Monochrom 246 does amazingly well, when compared to the newer M10 Monochrom, which has me thinking that a “faster” lens, to enable keeping the ISO lower, might be the better choice.

The newly-announced Visoflex does have my attention. I would like to learn more. I had  postponed buying a Visoflex 020, due to rumors about a better one being in development. My patience may well be rewarded. Leica has stated that the new Visoflex will be backwards-compatible with M10 cameras, when a firmware update is issued, in March 2022.

We are on the same path! My digital M's are the M10 and M246 also! I do have an M2 for film. The Red Dot Forum guys did state that the new Visoflex could be backwards compatible with the M10, but they said it would be at a lower resolution than what it is capable of on the M11. I guess the M10 is only capably of outputting to around 2mp to an electronic viewing device.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I followed the M11 thread pretty close because I thought about upgrading from my M-P240 .  Is seemed like there were a lot of vocal posters with low post counts.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AllNoAll said:

The M10 is still and will be for a long time quite a wonderful camera. 24mp is enough for 90% of my photography and that 10% when more pixels would be nice, is not enough to justify the M11. I didn't upgrade to the M10r for the same reasons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1