Baseplate Forever

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just was getting used to handeling the bottom-plate perfectly after two decades : M6,MP,M8,M9,M10.....

Never dropped my camera in changing my batteries or films. ( with the exception when somebody hit me on the elbow during changing the film ).

Maybe I won't miss the feeling, but ...Let's contemplate the good times, before nobody else will, in a decade.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am using an Arte Di Mano case with quick access to the card and battery. The M10M fits inside the case without the bottom plate. I prefer it this way like the Q and SL2. I wish the M can be more ergonomic rather than nostalgic. Glad the M11 is moving to that direction. I don’t need it to be pretty.

• Like 1

I've never had any problem using the classic removable baseplate.

I like the one-stop-shopping for handling the "insertables."

And having worked in a camera store, and seen how many digital cameras came in for repair because stupid plasticky hinged SD-card/battery doors had ripped off or otherwise been "buggered," I would not tolerate such really "cheap and nasty" doors as replacements.

However - I don't really have a problem with the Leica pop-out implementation either. No hinges, still "one-stop shopping."

Elegant in the engineering sense.

But frankly, a complete non-issue for me, either way. If Leica were swapping the other direction (from plug-in battery to removable baseplate) I'd just shrug. The issue ranks about 1547th on my list of the 100 most important things to worry about in photography. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toastybunzz said:

The bottom of the M11 looks a bit unfinished with the battery release lever and the fully exposed USB-C port.

Any new Android phone has a fully exposed usb-c port and you treat it much worse than you would a Leica. No problems so far.

I always thought the baseplate on the digital M was an unnecessary, but quaint, nod to the camera's heritage. Unlike the optical viewfinder/rangefinder, I don't think it offers any functionality that I'd like to keep. That said, I'll be holding onto my M10-P indefinitely and I may consider an M11P/Reporter or Monochrom in the future. I stopped selling anything Leica once I own it. You can never get it back at the same price again. 

I am just curious that the exposed USB-port may create some issue to design a third-party plate such as RRS. Yes it is easy to open a hole but for such a small port?

Most of the camera ports are on the side, however there is exceptions. Fuji GFX50R has the DC port at the bottom.

To be honest this power port design is tricky, because there is no lock mechanism, hanging a USB-C plug there while on a tripod seems very... insecure... 

In such context, I think a better design is putting the base plate and move the port on the side, with a locer - my Nikon camera has a locker accessory to 'help' fix the USB plug a little bit tighter.

But I am not the designer for Leica, what do I know...