Leica M11 Adobe Profile

Adam Bonn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is a thing that's needed or not (I'm not an adobe CC subscriber)

Anyway, I've used adobe DNG converter to convert an M11 dng to erm a dng, then extracted adobe's standard camera profile (using adobe's DNG profile editor*), and attached it here

Maybe y'all CC users got this already, but if not or if you have pre-CC adobe, add this file to correct place** and you'll have the adobe file that supports the DNG in ACR/LR

HTH someone?

*these are all freeware tools from adobe so no one start jumping and down about hacking, copyright or crap like that x

** in Windows

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

**in Mac (AFAIK...)

Macintosh HD / Users /*YOUR USERNAME* / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

Adobe Standard (LEICA M11).dcp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Adam!  Really great to have a DNG expert here.  I’ve been a convert (pun intended) since a 2007 Santa Fe DAM workshop with Peter Krogh, using Lightroom 1.0-Beta.   It’s great that Leica adopted it.  One problem is that the DNG out of camera do not have the validation checksum, which would help ensure archive integrity.  Wish Leica add it in camera!  For now it’s a valid reason to run OOC DNGs through the Adobe DNG Converter upon ingestion.

Edited by setuporg
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

Thank you Adam

You're very welcome

Really great to have a DNG expert here

I'll take the compliment but that's a massive stretch - I know a thing or two about how DCP works, but DNG is a whole massive complicated thing!

FWIW (believe it or not), I struggle to get my geek on if it's something I can't really do anything with, but if by learning about something I can change something that I get the benefit or the perceived benefit at least, then I'll make an effort... (as long as it's not language based, so so rubbish at that)

I'll never write a RAW editor or make a camera, so knowing the DNG spec (or how to make a sensor etc) is but a passing interest... creating my own profiles is something that will have an impact on me, so I made the effort to try and get my head round what's happening in a dcp file, doesn't really make any difference to the profile really... like you don't need to know how a starter motor works in order to start a car!!

ne problem is that the DNG out of camera do not have the validation checksum, which would help ensure archive integrity.  Wish Leica add it in camera!

If you're inclined.. get a leica dng that's never been in an adobe product, duplicate it, then open one of them in DNG converter then open each DNG with exiftool/rawdigger/whatever and be amazed at just how much stuff adobe feels it has to add in there...

6 minutes ago, 1400700226 said:

Could you please share some raw comparisons of full frame 60 36 and 18 megapixel mode? I am curious how they do this. 

I don't have the camera, I only lifted a DNG from DPR, converted it too adobe DNG, then lifted the profile out, so that folks like me with old adobe (or if adobe haven't released the profile to CC  users yet, I dunno about that...) could see the adobe profile for it

They'll be plenty of feedback on that soon enough and DPR have a suite of DNGs to play with!

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

be amazed at just how much stuff adobe feels it has to add in there...

I can see how there can be extra stuff, but a checksum validating original data, independent of the XML envelope and accretions, is priceless.  Peter Krogh, as an advisor to Adobe on LR and DNG pioneer, pushed for it for archival purposes, and it got added.  IMHO this is a crucial feature for integrity testing that must be added in-camera.

Here's Peter explaining it:

https://www.dpbestflow.org/data-validation/dng-validation

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is a thing that's needed or not ...

I bow to the power of your supremely, cool nerdiness, Fonz.  You da man. Consider the shark successfully jumped. 😃

In all seriousness, thanks for providing this! Looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I bow to the power of your supremely, cool nerdiness, Fonz.  You da man. Consider the shark successfully jumped. 😃

In all seriousness, thanks for providing this! Looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow.

ahahaha, if you don't have the latest adobe you can use dng converter to convert your Z9 (or whatever) RAWs into DNGs to open in your Lightroom 3 (or whatever), so this must mean doing that embeds something (a .dcp file) into the DNG...

...not at all hard to find it and take it out!

I was planning a fun day of M11 DNG acquisition (the actual camera is beyond me) and editing...

But then my macbook pro turned up a week early... I've never used a mac in my life and I've been on windows since the 90s, so I've been having a fun (largely to be fair) day with that instead

I can see how there can be extra stuff, but a checksum validating original data, independent of the XML envelope and accretions, is priceless.  Peter Krogh, as an advisor to Adobe on LR and DNG pioneer, pushed for it for archival purposes, and it got added.  IMHO this is a crucial feature for integrity testing that must be added in-camera.

Here's Peter explaining it:

https://www.dpbestflow.org/data-validation/dng-validation

The Leica DCP file is perhaps (give or take an illuminant) the most basic thing

Here's the M11 (Leica) one

"UniqueCameraModel": "LEICA M11",

"ProfileName": "Leica M11 Embedded",

"ProfileEmbedPolicy": "Allow copying",

"ProfileCalibrationSignature": "com.adobe",

"CalibrationIlluminant1": "StdA",

"CalibrationIlluminant2": "D65",

"ColorMatrix1": [

[ 0.438800, -0.101600, -0.012300 ],

[ -0.463000, 1.172400, 0.332200 ],

[ -0.075000, 0.148300, 0.652100 ]

"ColorMatrix2": [

[ 0.431200, -0.082700, -0.050700 ],

[ -0.597100, 1.371900, 0.247000 ],

[ -0.155200, 0.247500, 0.577300 ]

By comparison the adobe one is about 1500 lines of text long...

I'll check the link later! Thanks for it

• Thanks 1

switching from windows to Mac... anyways, long story short..

Last night I installed C1 on the mac and it now has their correct profile for the M11 so all you C1 using M11 buyers out there just need to check for updates (or whatever it is in C1)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

Adobe has officially released Camera Raw update for the M11...is this embedded profile supplied by Leica?

Which version would that be? ACR 14.1 was launched in December. Adobe does not list M11 as supported by any of its software (link).