M11 software improvements for M10?

charlesphoto99

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Leica, just wondering if a few of the M11 software improvements could make it to the M10(R), such as more custom functions for that nearly useless front button, or the LV button on the back (I have LV permanently turned off)? Perhaps the new non-coded lens listing as well, and I'm sure there's a few more things. Certainly would be nice if it was possible. 

sorry...missed this and started a similar thread. What I'm thinking, given the some of the 10s have the touch screen and we know an EVF update is necessary, might Leica not change the interface to more resemble the 11 (and SLs)? 

I guess that all depends on if the processor can cope with any update.

The cynic in me would suggest it won’t be done (even if it could be) as the new features of the M11 will help aid sales and if some of the upgrades get pushed down to the M10 series, less people will upgrade to the latest. 

It seems unlikely they would dedicate engineering resources to the M10 when those engineers are very busy improving the M11 firmware and probably building things for future cameras (Q3, SL3, M11M, EVF M, etc). I imagine all future M10 firmware updates will be to add additional lenses to the firmware. I think we were very lucky to get the perspective control feature last year. Ether way, I do hope they add features!

7 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Indeed.  Something that apparently is sadly absent in the M11. 

Wow I am surprised they don't have it in the M11. Hopefully the hardware exists and they add it in a firmware update. It's a pretty unique feature and I've used it a few times. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, Crem said:

Wow I am surprised they don't have it in the M11. Hopefully the hardware exists and they add it in a firmware update. It's a pretty unique feature and I've used it a few times. 

Interesting point. I hadn't noticed nor thought to check whether or not the M11 has an e-level.  The spec, doesn't mention it. I'd be pretty bummed if neither were present. Think I'll ask in one of the other threads.

7 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Interesting point. I hadn't noticed nor thought to check whether or not the M11 has an e-level.  The spec, doesn't mention it. I'd be pretty bummed if neither were present. Think I'll ask in one of the other threads.

I'd also be bummed. My guess is the hardware exists in the camera (so needs a firmware update), but I have no proof of it. If not, I think you just found a feature that they will bring back in the M11P.

Edited by Crem

Just now, Crem said:

I think you just found a feature that they will bring back in the M11P.

Yea, thats exactly what I'm afraid of.  I'm asking for clarification about it over here. I should have my camera tomorrow. If theres no response, I'll let you know.

5 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Yea, thats exactly what I'm afraid of.  I'm asking for clarification about it over here. I should have my camera tomorrow. If theres no response, I'll let you know.

Thanks! and congrats on getting the M11. I have no doubt it will be a great camera and I'll be shocked if they don't have it. Absolutely shocked. It will be Leica Levelgate 2022 if they somehow forgot it.

1 minute ago, Crem said:

Thanks! and congrats on getting the M11. I have no doubt it will be a great camera and I'll be shocked if they don't have it. Absolutely shocked. It will be Leica Levelgate 2022 if they somehow forgot it.

Artin just claimed in the thread I ref'd above that its not in the menus anywhere. Not a dealbreaker, but really disappointing if that was omitted. 

9 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Artin just claimed in the thread I ref'd above that its not in the menus anywhere. Not a dealbreaker, but really disappointing if that was omitted. 

Hopefully someone on the forums has enough leverage with Leica corporate to find out if it's in the hardware or not. Sad to hear it's not in the software. I really can't imagine a world where Leica would remove these key features. I'm adding them to my M11P wishlist!

UPDATE: ignore my comments. Just saw a message saying the feature exists!

Edited by Crem

1 minute ago, Crem said:

Hopefully someone on the forums has enough leverage with Leica corporate to find out if it's in the hardware or not. Sad to hear it's not in the software. I really can't imagine a world where Leica would remove these key features. I'm adding them to my M11P wishlist!

The e-level is present. Only PC is absent. Phew... My guess is, as I helped out in the beta program for PC last year, that it was developed independently for the 10 and they had so much more to do that they left that off the table for the initial release. 

10 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

The e-level is present. Only PC is absent. Phew... My guess is, as I helped out in the beta program for PC last year, that it was developed independently for the 10 and they had so much more to do that they left that off the table for the initial release. 

Very cool. I didn't know you were a beta tester. If I had to guess, the firmware for the M11 is based on the SL2 firmware since they appear to share processor generations and menu systems. The engineers probably have to do a copy/paste of the PC code from the M10 to the M11 and then do a significant amount of editing to make it work. I'm guessing you'll see it in about 3 - 6 months. All speculation of course. I have no inside info.

Edited by Crem

Soon after PC was introduced for the M10-P/M/R, Leica did a customer survey asking what we thought about adding new features - like PC - and whether we thought they would be acceptable as chargeable extras. I think the overwhelming response was that given what they charge for the cameras, they should damned well include all the features as standard!

I hope they don't go down the route of charging for features. if they do, I will ask for a firmware fix to disable video on bodies that have it, and a corresponding discount.

John