Leica M11: A Revolution – Review by Elmar S.

elmars

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

elmars

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M11 a revolution? Of course this is a bit ironic. Nobody dies in this revolution but the traditional baseplate of the digital M cameras, that omitted with the M11. For
LUF Admin

Short notice from the admin: User Łëïčä is banned. Was the – uhm let me count – 4th account of a banned member. Andreas

elmars

I decided to get tough like a craftsman. I will carry the M11 with this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And if I have something to nail (for example the focus) I take the M11 out and nail

Posted Images

1 hour ago, elmars said:

For multifield metering the camera has to be in Liveview (LV) mode, because the shutter has to be open. For that reason the M11 is always in LV.

Thank you for your clear and concise review!

Can you tell us, what happens, when you take off the lens? Shutter remaining open or does it close?

Did you use uncoded lenses? Any differences in shutter reaction?

Last and most difficult question: What happens if you use an LTM-lens with an adpater which does not cover the sensor of the 6-bit-code? Is light metering possible? I think it is not possible as long as you don't switch off lens detection completely. Can you do this and will lightmetering work? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reviewing elms,

A quick question to the metering. In "normal" mode with the "Messsucher" the light is measured on the sensor. There you have different modes. Interesting would be if the spot-mode can be used  and what is the filed for measuring. Is it identical to the square of the the rangefinder? That would be a bit like in the M5.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb UliWer:

Thank you for your clear and concise review!

Can you tell us, what happens, when you take off the lens? Shutter remaining open or does it close?

Did you use uncoded lenses? Any differences in shutter reaction?

Last and most difficult question: What happens if you use an LTM-lens with an adpater which does not cover the sensor of the 6-bit-code? Is light metering possible? I think it is not possible as long as you don't switch off lens detection completely. Can you do this and will lightmetering work? 

When You take the lens off the shutter remains open. It closes only in sleep mode or after turning off.

Shutter reaction is the same with uncoded lenses.

And the camera is metering regardless of any adapter or coding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review. 
Since M11 allows turning Live View on and off, it is confusing to use live view to describe the sensor being active. What are the high-resolution disadvantages in MF sensors not present in M11?

• Like 1

The M11 always shoots at 64MP. The other resolutions are internally simulated.
I have a few questions about this:
1. Same low light performance as 64 MP for all resolutions? No advantages with 36MP or 18MP. Is that correct?
2. The same for the risk of camera shake with longer focal lengths! No advantages with 36MP or 18MP. Is that correct?
3. Sensitivity to diffraction errors with small apertures the same as with 64MP! No advantages with 36MP or 18MP. Is that correct?
What are the advantages of this effort? Smaller Datafiles with 36 or 18MP?

For that they could have built a camera with a 36MP sensor right away.