Leica M11: A Revolution – Review by Elmar S.

elmars

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

elmars

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M11 a revolution? Of course this is a bit ironic. Nobody dies in this revolution but the traditional baseplate of the digital M cameras, that omitted with the M11. For
LUF Admin

Short notice from the admin: User Łëïčä is banned. Was the – uhm let me count – 4th account of a banned member. Andreas

elmars

I decided to get tough like a craftsman. I will carry the M11 with this:

And if I have something to nail (for example the focus) I take the M11 out and nail

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, John Black said:

Thank you for replying.

I'm not worried about the sound, it's the timing and physical sensation (tactile feedback).  The cadence and physical sensation with the M10-P/R/M when using LV or EVF is awkward.  I'll think the camera is done taking a shot, but it's still finishing up its work.  So when shooting with the EVF on the M10-R, etc., I have to make an extra to freeze for an added second to hopefully avoid adding some camera shake into the capture.  It feels very awkward compared to more casual flow with the OVF.

I'm guessing if it was horrible, then reviewers would delicately broach the topic.  So the lack of discussion - I'm hoping - means it's a non issue.  I had pre-order placed awhile back, so one or another I'll find out firsthand :) 

On a slightly different topic, in the DP Review video, they said the shutter was the original M10 shutter.  Then Leica Miami (David & Josh) said the shutter was the newer version used in the M10-M/R/P.  Do you know who is correct?  

The difference in  live view on M10R and live view on M11 is considerable.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb John Black:

Thank you for replying.

I'm not worried about the sound, it's the timing and physical sensation (tactile feedback).  The cadence and physical sensation with the M10-P/R/M when using LV or EVF is awkward.  I'll think the camera is done taking a shot, but it's still finishing up its work.  So when shooting with the EVF on the M10-R, etc., I have to make an extra to freeze for an added second to hopefully avoid adding some camera shake into the capture.  It feels very awkward compared to more casual flow with the OVF.

I'm guessing if it was horrible, then reviewers would delicately broach the topic.  So the lack of discussion - I'm hoping - means it's a non issue.  I had pre-order placed awhile back, so one or another I'll find out firsthand :) 

On a slightly different topic, in the DP Review video, they said the shutter was the original M10 shutter.  Then Leica Miami (David & Josh) said the shutter was the newer version used in the M10-M/R/P.  Do you know who is correct?  

The shutter is basically the same but they optimised its processing. I think Your worries are unfounded. You will see after Your own tries.

Thanks Elmars I found your review informative and not duplicative of Jono's (I also found his excellent).

You seem to be very definite that the "M11 has none of the short comings" of previous Leica sensors.  Does the M11 maintain or improve the legendary Leica "Look" in image? Does the extra 20 MP enhance or detract from the "LOOK"?.

Your M11 images have a bit of a different feel -- do you see that or is my cynicism influencing my aesthetic taste?

Thanks for the review and your time!! CHIPS

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb elmars:

The multifield metering of the M10 was not very sophisticated in my opinion. The one of the M11 gives very good results. I could always restore highlights, what is the most important to me. 

Are you saying that with the new metering system one can use multifield metering and there is no need to put the EV to -1 to protect highlights?

I never really had a problem with the old metering system, center weighted and EV at -2/3 on the M10-P and -1 often on the SL2-S in order to protect highlights because the BSI sensors capture a lot of light.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Chips:

Does the M11 maintain or improve the legendary Leica "Look" in image? Does the extra 20 MP enhance or detract from the "LOOK"?

I never knew what the Leica look is. Perhaps that what Jono calls realistic or others neutral? In this sense the M11 has the best Leica look ever.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Chips:

Your M11 images have a bit of a different feel -- do you see that or is my cynicism influencing my aesthetic taste?

Sorry, I don´t understand this remark.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Chaemono:

Are you saying that with the new metering system one can use multifield metering and there is no need to put the EV to -1 to protect highlights?

I never really had a problem with the old metering system, center weighted and EV at -2/3 on the M10-P and -1 often on the SL2-S in order to protect highlights because the BSI sensors capture a lot of light.

I never put a correction to EV on any digital M. If You know how the center weighted metering works You can deal with it but You have to think. That is unnecessary with the multifield metering of the M11.

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

According to Steve Reid, you will still need some negative EC when working in sunlight. Only Highlight-weighted metering could avoid adding negative EC (but sometimes needs positive EC). You can quickly switch to live view and use the histogram to set the best exposure if the situation permits. Switching between RF and LV mode is much improved with M11.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

So I've been meaning to ask. Is Live View now merely a euphemism for Display Off, or is there some other properties that differentiate them?

LV means either EVF or LCD is showing the image. Turning the menu on or doing image review is not LV :).

23 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Yours is great Elmar and really informative. I’ve spent too many years being flippant!

Flippant? Ha. I think not. You are an exemplar of online behavior and your reviews reflect that same sensibility. 

I too really like Elmer’s review as well. 

Edited by SoarFM

vor 46 Minuten schrieb elmars:

I never put a correction to EV on any digital M. If You know how the center weighted metering works You can deal with it but You have to think. That is unnecessary with the multifield metering of the M11.

Thanks. Thinking is not one of my strengths. It’s interesting how the same thing said in one language sounds perfectly fine and in another could be construed as offensive. 😂

Edited by Chaemono
  • Haha 1

Even with the SL2(s) exp metering I feel I need to dial in exp comp in certain situations. With the SL I rely a lot on the EVF what I see.

With the M11 my experience has been a little different than Siggis: I feel it sometimes exposes a little brighter than M10r. So while with the M10r I sometimes dial in +.3 I would sometimes dial in -.3 with the M11. But I haven't used it long enough to be able to tell when, but in certain light situations it was necessary to avoid overexposure.

For me the new metering is a real benefit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Am 13.1.2022 um 18:11 schrieb elmars:

I am not a tough but funny guy.

But the camera is a "Toughy" made for the street..... ? What is Your impression with this aspect, or do You think its more a caffehouse  salon and a  dandy kind of a  "don't got to the bad side of town with this around You neck " camera. ( As You are not a Thoughy / having good insurance conditions ).  

Its hard to imagine any shutter sound better than the M10M (or M10R). While these things shouldn't matter... that simple "snick"  brings up memories of the M2, an early love. Hard to give up perfection. 

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb becker:

But the camera is a "Toughy" made for the street..... ? What is Your impression with this aspect, or do You think its more a caffehouse  salon and a  dandy kind of a  "don't got to the bad side of town with this around You neck " camera. ( As You are not a Thoughy / having good insurance conditions ).  

I decided to get tough like a craftsman. I will carry the M11 with this:

And if I have something to nail (for example the focus) I take the M11 out and nail it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

vor 5 Stunden schrieb elmars:

And if I have something to nail (for example the focus) I take the M11 out and nail it.

As well opening Beer bottle caps. Good to see "Luig" presents actual trends in their case line , can't wait to see Ostergaards answer- 

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, SrMi said:

According to Steve Reid, you will still need some negative EC when working in sunlight. Only Highlight-weighted metering could avoid adding negative EC (but sometimes needs positive EC). You can quickly switch to live view and use the histogram to set the best exposure if the situation permits. Switching between RF and LV mode is much improved with M11.

I haven't used the M11 yet, but it's the same sensor as the GFX 100/S cut smaller. On the GFX 100S, I can overexpose the heck out of an image and easily recover the highlights. I'm wondering if those needing some negative exposure comp on the M11 are using the M10/R as a guide for what will be recoverable in post. It could be the M11 exposure meter is giving a nearly-perfect ETTR image. One could examine the M11 images in Raw Digger to know for sure.

Edited by hdmesa
grammar