Leica M11 Review by Jono Slack

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the things that put me off considering an M was only the one card slot.  If you have ever spent hours shooting only to see the dreaded message "Card cannot be accessed" you'll know exactly what I mean.  So the internal 64GB store is most welcome.  I realise also that using the battery for access to the removable card slot saves space, but it also means that (unless tethered) you cannot possibly insert or remove a card while the camera is powered up. (And no, I certainly won't miss the removable base plate.)

As for the review insert ab out upgrading the worse of the sensor or lens to obtain better quality images, I suspect that with the enormous number of pixels the main factor will be the quality of the photographer's technique.   But with 60Mp and 'near medium format quality images, I guess we'll need an M11 / S3 comparison review next.

• Like 1

While I enjoyed the words, I could take a bath in some of the images and just let them wash over me. As was hinted at elsewhere, the color seems completely transformed.  They do seem a little cooler, but personally, I'm more about blue than yellow so it suits me.  My only critique is that I wish you'd include the lens used... I'm wondering how much of the extraordinary ease of the color rendering is down that 35 APO.

As always thanks deepest appreciation for the review and all the time and work that went into it. This time around must have been a bit more difficult... I'm assuming your tongue is a little bloody from having to bite it over the past few weeks. Looking forward to receiving my copy tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Thank you, Jono!

I love your attitude, and I love your work/photos. Your reviews are pretty darn good, as well. Thanks again, MarkI love your attitude, and I love your work/photos. Your reviews are pretty darn good, as well. Thanks again, Mark

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb jonoslack:

Variable Sized DNG Files

This is an interesting idea, and I'm not aware of any other company doing the same thing. This is not a crop, it's a full frame image, but with a lower Megapixel count - with either 60, 36 or 18mp....

First: Thanks a lot for this nice review!

The variable filesize is indeed a great feature.
I know it from Nikon, they call it RAW, mRAW or sRAW. (full, medium, small)

Interesting, that Leica takes this approach!

Edited by cp995
  • Like 1

Excellent review as always Jono, a pleasure to read!

One thing you mentioned which I wonder if you are able to elaborate a bit more on:

"The M11 also shows noticeably less vignetting than the M10-R" 

Under what circumstances are you experiencing this?  And is it for particular lenses?

• Like 2

Fantastic review Jono, with so many beautiful photos. Thank you very much.

I have only a little doubt, how is it possible to shoot 60mp without any sort of stabilization.
Did you find any issue with some kind of micro blurred images when opened at 100%?

In my experience it is very very difficult to have spot on images above 45mp without an IBIS or using a tripod.

Thank you in advance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, adli said:

One thing you mentioned which I wonder if you are able to elaborate a bit more on:

Under what circumstances are you experiencing this?  And is it for particular lenses?

I would assume that BSI design helps with corners.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kwsmith45 said:

Juno, great review. I have already contacted my dealer to order one. Does the M11 still have the perspective control that was introduced with the M10R? I know you can use Lightroom to do the same, but I find the in camera version is very effective using Live View to frame a shot when pointing the camera up or down. 

Hi There

Sadly it doesn't have it - I think that Leica have been requested to 'put it back' but it's not there right now

All the best

Jono

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kwsmith45 said:

Juno, great review. I have already contacted my dealer to order one. Does the M11 still have the perspective control that was introduced with the M10R? I know you can use Lightroom to do the same, but I find the in camera version is very effective using Live View to frame a shot when pointing the camera up or down. 

I just read the M-11 review at Red Dot Forum and seems the perspective control is ABSENT.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

While I enjoyed the words, I could take a bath in some of the images and just let them wash over me. As was hinted at elsewhere, the color seems completely transformed.  They do seem a little cooler, but personally, I'm more about blue than yellow so it suits me.  My only critique is that I wish you'd include the lens used... I'm wondering how much of the extraordinary ease of the color rendering is down that 35 APO.

As always thanks deepest appreciation for the review and all the time and work that went into it. This time around must have been a bit more difficult... I'm assuming your tongue is a little bloody from having to bite it over the past few weeks. Looking forward to receiving my copy tomorrow. 

Hi There

I'm glad you enjoyed it - somehow biting my tongue isn't so much of a problem, but reading that thread was useful. If you look at the version on my website there is lens information there as well https://www.slack.co.uk - and you can zoom in and see where i had camera shake too!

All the best

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, adli said:

Hi There

I thought that rather strong vignetting was the only real vice of the M10-R (I didn't mind it much, and it was easy to fix). It was more often an issue with wides wide open at a distance . . . .the M11 seems to have improved on this. I guess it's because of the BSI Sensor

I hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Thank you for the review, Jono, and thank you for sharing Roger's wisdom regarding lenses and high MP cameras.

Have you used a prerelease Lightroom with M11 support or the 11.1 version?

Hi there - I'm glad you enjoyed it - and yes - I thought Roger could be rude about it instead of me!

I'm pretty sure that it's using the embedded profile PROFILE M11. but I certainly haven't had any difficulties with it. On the other hand I generally shoot 'Daylight' and then leave the colour as it is, particularly the case here, I really like it - files are fantastic to work with.

best

Jono

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There

I'm glad you enjoyed it - somehow biting my tongue isn't so much of a problem, but reading that thread was useful. If you look at the version on my website there is lens information there as well https://www.slack.co.uk - and you can zoom in and see where i had camera shake too!

All the best

Thanks again!  No more talk of shake though... despite all my wriggling and whining, I wound up taking a black one for the good of the planet (and the fact that I would have had to wait for an unknown period to get silver).  I gave up golf years ago, but I still have some lead tape somewhere if it turns out to be a problem. 😃 

• Haha 1