Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, jaapv said:

Which can be equally achieved by careful exposure and adequate postprocessing. But that depends on the requirements of the user, of course.

That's what I have been doing with the M10, but wonder whether that's been made much easier in the M11, and how the three resolutions differ in this respect. Some M10-R users claim that they can recover highlights better than with the M10. I've been skeptical about this because the dynamic range, as shown on the PtoP site, is similar. It seems to me that in the M10-R firmware relatively more of the available dynamic range has been allocated to highlights while on M10 relatively more has been allocated to the shadows — but this, as you suggested, can be handled by underexposing the M10 and raising the shows in post.

4 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Some M10-R users claim that they can recover highlights better than with the M10

Instead of recovering, we M10-R users just get perfect highlights straight out of the camera.  It just makes everything so much easier.  @jonoslack says that it’s somewhat easier to blow highlights on the M11 again; that made me pause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

Totally! 

Checked those blocks ten times over and I’m still living with it on a daily basis. 

Although three years into being a Covid nurse and I’m wishing I was back in Iraq and Afghanistan! 😝 

Is it really that tough in the Hostpitals at the moment?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

That's what I have been doing with the M10, but wonder whether that's been made much easier in the M11, and how the three resolutions differ in this respect. Some M10-R users claim that they can recover highlights better than with the M10. I've been skeptical about this because the dynamic range, as shown on the PtoP site, is similar. It seems to me that in the M10-R firmware relatively more of the available dynamic range has been allocated to highlights while on M10 relatively more has been allocated to the shadows — but this, as you suggested, can be handled by underexposing the M10 and raising the shows in post.

I'm sure the M11 makes it easier (probably a lot) but if I can do it with the DMR or M8, I am happy to leave it be. My CL and Panasonic S do me fine :).

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

Ah, I did see that. Ignorance is bliss and that’s a beautiful thing. 

Well to be honest the hospitals are in a state of emergency here as well. Massive shortage of staff and they are seeing if they can have people from the other Nordic countries fly in to help. 

I just would have thought a war zone would be worse…

16 minutes ago, sebben said:

Well to be honest the hospitals are in a state of emergency here as well. Massive shortage of staff and they are seeing if they can have people from the other Nordic countries fly in to help. 

I just would have thought a war zone would be worse…

You’d think but it’s not the case. 

As complex and chaotic a war zone can be, it was much, much more simple. With Covid, it’s everywhere. It doesn’t end as you leave the hospital because it’s waiting for you at home, every step you take socially. When you mix in older parents, little ones at school…. I’d gladly take that war zone again. 

So how about that M11? 🥴

• Like 1

I use my M cameras mostly as a light weight high quality landscape camera.  GNSS (primarily GPS) tagging is a feature that is important to me, adequately if not perfectly supported by the Visoflex 020.  The interaction of power saving/timeout features between cell phones and cameras has made cell phone-camera links for location ineffective for me in the past,  The communication issues has not been with cell phone to camera communication bandwidth (which appears solved with the M11) but other aspects of integration of cell phones and cameras.  The issue seems to be mostly time outs and power saving on both the cameras and cell phones and the intrinsic acquisition time following loss of connection for GNSS signals due to the basic structure of the GNSS navigation massages.   Testing GNSS support for the M11 can be demonstrated with a rigorous program of testing under field conditions. However no data has been presented by Leica yet to indicate they have achieved a viable approach location tagging without an on-camera GNSS/GPS/GLONAS/Galileo receiver.  

16 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

….fully agree; and IMHO also going up a sensor size into medium format can also help a lot

I agree. Sorta. The M10r highlights are quite a step ahead of the previous models. I was totally skeptical until I owned one. The highlights just “dig” a little deeper. 

Medium format? Yes, the files from the Fuji GFX100S are breathtaking. It’s a whole new ballgame. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

You’d think but it’s not the case. 

As complex and chaotic a war zone can be, it was much, much more simple. With Covid, it’s everywhere. It doesn’t end as you leave the hospital because it’s waiting for you at home, every step you take socially. When you mix in older parents, little ones at school…. I’d gladly take that war zone again. 

So how about that M11? 🥴

Are you taking images in the hospital?

I have been following your photography since the early RFF days when you were posting images from Iraq and Afghanistan. I always found them to be emotionally engaging as well as hauntingly beautiful so I’m quite sure you would make a powerful photo project on the subject of Covid.

Even without the M11. 

• Thanks 1

No.

For my way of shooting (digitally) Leica produced the perfect camera(*) with the M-D Typ-262. Were an M11-D (or any future M)  to revert to that stripped-down simplicity in every way and feature the new sensor along with the improved ISO performance then, absolutely, I'd change my mind.

That's never going to happen, though. Is it?...

Philip.

* With the technology of the time.

• Like 1

I will consider it.

I bought the M 240 when it first came out, and have loved using it for 8 years. None of the M cameras Leica have produced since has been of any interest.

A lot of "purists" didn't like the 240, and it seems that they don't like the M11. That would suggest that it might be the next camera for me.

• Like 1

I’m not sure. Primary reason to buy would be the electronic shutter. (For totally silent operation.) Though it depends on how bad rolling shutter issues are. What are the chances of a future M camera with a global shutter?

The way the new M11 has been designed makes it look like it was intended to be an EVF / live view camera first. With the OVF rangefinder being an addition to this foundation.

It wouldn’t be too difficult to imagine a scenario where the underpinnings of the M11 could form the foundation of a range of new mirrorless cameras. New EVF bodies with M mount, L mount or fixed lens (Q etc.)

I wonder if the M11 could be an exercise in consolidation? Sharing technology, components and accessories across future EVF / mirrorless product lines.

When the M9 was first launched it was an easy decision to purchase one. At the time no other company offered a camera with a 35mm sensor in such a small package. It was amazing to have that image quality in such a compact digital camera. One that was also very simple and intuitive to use, with access to a fantastic range of lenses. The majority of which were compact optical marvels.

As time has moved on there are now many other digital options offering great performance in a compact package. Although lenses have got bigger. And each subsequent iteration of the digital M has also introduced trade-offs in technology, design and function. With the promise of something new always on the near horizon.

The result is a state of constant choice paralysis with digital cameras. I chose to step back a bit from the technology race. My answer was an M-A and a Texas Leica instead of a new digital M.

Happy to watch the world go by until something impossible to ignore signals the start of a new epoch.   

• Like 5

What I like most is the buzz surrounding the new M! It's a given that's it's the best digital Leica M iteration to date ( perhaps arguably so). Like it wasn't overly obvious but some reviewers seem drive that point out at nauseam, which I find funny. From a photography perspective as pointed below the M11 won't make anyone a better photographer. Lol. But seeing this mainly a gear forum I enjoy the techie side of things and love the discussions / reviews!

6 hours ago, sebben said:

Are you taking images in the hospital?

I have been following your photography since the early RFF days when you were posting images from Iraq and Afghanistan. I always found them to be emotionally engaging as well as hauntingly beautiful so I’m quite sure you would make a powerful photo project on the subject of Covid.

Even without the M11. 

Sadly no. I don’t think there are good “enough” images coming from within Covid units, at least none I’ve seen. And those that do exist, they certainly do not represent what Covid means for those who have contracted, lived, survived, and yes, died from it. Our televisions are filled with static images of patients intubated, rarely nothing more. But past the big network agenda, there are some awful complications brought on by the disease that no one sees. 

I’m glad you appreciated the Iraq images… they have become volumes for all of us to discuss into the future. 

• Like 1