Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

I chose “Other.” I am still sorting-out whether to prioritize the Monochrom path, by experimenting with my M10 and Type 246 cameras. My next significant Leica purchase is more likely to be an M10 Monochrom, or a “faster” wide-angle lens, than an M11. I am not disappointed by anything I have learned about the M11. There is, simply, no hurry.

Why is there no hurry, for the higher-performance, higher-resolution sensor? Well, I can shoot higher-resolution images, if necessary, with 50MP and 47MP DSLR cameras. I added the Leica-M system, in 2018, acquiring a pre-owned Summilux 50mm ASPH, but also bought a Nikon F-mount Zeiss Otus 85mm, at the same time. I had planned, and saved, to buy a Nikon “super-telephoto” lens, perhaps a 600mm f/4, or 400mm f/2.8, as a retirement gift, for myself, but a left rotator cuff injury was still healing, so I spent the money to start with Leica, and settled for an 85mm short telephoto for Nikon. With the gift of hindsight, in 2022, I believe that I made the correct decision. I like 85mm for landscapes and general nature photography, and my wife, who is an avid naturalist, and serious “citizen scientist,” is concentrating on plants, soil, fungi, and the wee beasties, so long telephoto lenses are much less relevant, than I had anticipated.

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman
13 hours ago, adan said:

...While most people are just salivating over the 60 Mpixels, the ability to provide varied output in a real RAW format seems to actually be the place where Leica is suddenly leading the industry (for the moment)...

My own view is essentially the one expressed in my pre-announcement post here, that the 60 MP resolution, which has  increasingly been referred to as "medium-format territory", is not what I am after having been been interested, since film days, in the "35 mm aesthetic" for my photography; and considering that the look I want is easier to achieve from a lower resolution image.

One the other hand, some of the reviews suggest that highlight rendition of the M11 can achieve a gentler (more film-like) highlight roll-off; but I'm not yet sure how that plays out in the three DNG resolutions (60, 36, 18 MP) of the M11. And I am interested in seeing more on how the color rendition differs among the three resolutions.

These above are the main things that interest me in the M11; and, since we're now going into another  Covid peak, there is no rush for me to decide, since I'm not likely to be shooting much in any case as I won't be getting back to Paris and Bangkok for some time. Also, I have the new Ricoh GR IIIx, in addition to my Ricoh GR III and, of course, my M10. In the meantime, I'll be watching what @adan,  @charlesphoto99, @Steven and others find and conclude.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Immediate possible reasons for switching to the 11 (have a regular M10); battery life and shutter speed (nice to get rid of a couple of ND filters for my Lux´es). But my no means enough to switch… at least not now 😉

Edited by Stein K S
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It certainly looks interesting. However I neither have the funds nor the skills to fully utilize its capabilities. As far as Leicas go I've been going backwards, from an M4->M6 to an M2 and iif. On the digital side I'm pretty happy using my Leica lenses on a Sony A7Rii, although sometimes I do miss the rangefinder. So obviously my answer is No.

• Like 1

While the M11 looks like another leap forward with a great deal of capabilities my personal needs are being met with my ultimate camera: M10 Monocrom. I have a M262 for color work as well. These cameras fit my needs as well as lending themselves to my style.

Best of luck to those of you who dive into the M11 system. I look forward to hearing of your experiences and, of course, seeing your images.

• Like 2

- Excited about battery life. 😃

- Shutter/Start up lag? 🤔 Waiting for real numbers. Can't believe my M9 was faster to start/wake up than any other digital Leica that came after....

- Add black paint on top of brass and I am sold. Like to match with silver lenses - real brass ones. If not Silver P version.

- Off putting Red Dot.... gonna wait for P version or S with lower mp count/bigger pixels - lower price tag? Hello SL2s. 😅

- What's the point if you can't shoot slower than 1/125s b/c of motion blur....

Is it true the shutter sound is more like M10 than M10P ?

Edited by Slender

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Slender:

- Excited about battery life. 😃

- Shutter/Start up lag? 🤔 Waiting for real numbers. Can't believe my M9 was faster to start/wake up than any other digital Leica that came after....

- Add black paint on top of brass and I am sold. Like to match with silver lenses - real brass ones. If not Silver P version.

- Off putting Red Dot.... gonna wait for P version or S with lower mp count/bigger pixels - lower price tag? Hello SL2s. 😅

Is it true the shutter sound is more like M10 than M10P ?

-battery life you can read in Jonos review. Much longer than M10r (for me even M10r was fine)

-Lag times are in the same range as M10r. Jono has written more precise numbers. For me they now feel nearly the same.

-Red Dot. Personal thing. For my part I never understood, why waiting the half life cycle of a product to get the "luxury" edition. IMO it would make more sense to first sell the luxury edition for higher price at start of life cycle and then offer the standard version later.

-you can shoot slower than 1/125, just like other M cams. Just don't zoom in to 200% afterwards.

-no, shutter sounds closer to M10r than M10. There is a  difference, but for me I believe its close enough to not think about t any more after using the M11 for a week or so.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slender said:

What do you mean by that? Are you talking about the motion blur caused by camera movements? The shutter speed requirements are pretty much the same as with M10-R.

2 minutes ago, Reciprocity said:

Well, to be fair he did also say photojournalist. But yeah...human conflict photography is a whole other ball game. 

Yeah, he did. 

Business as usual with reports on this new camera being all over the board. Ultimately though, I’ll eventually get one in hand to try before a hard judgment can be made. 

It’s been quite awhile since owning a digital M, the M10M and M10R were the last. Nice cameras but I don’t miss them. Maybe the M10M a little but…

When the time presents I’ll get the M11. Until then… just marching along with film. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

One the other hand, some of the reviews suggest that highlight rendition of the M11 can achieve a gentler (more film-like) highlight roll-off;

Which can be equally achieved by careful exposure and adequate postprocessing. But that depends on the requirements of the user, of course.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

At my age, I'd have to think long and hard about going into combat... with or without an M.

Totally! 

Checked those blocks ten times over and I’m still living with it on a daily basis. 

Although three years into being a Covid nurse and I’m wishing I was back in Iraq and Afghanistan! 😝 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1