Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

I will be sticking to my GFX100S, but possibly I will now pick up a used 24mp M10 for light-weight travel and smaller prints. The M11’s DNGs that I’ve played with today do remind me of the rendering off the GFX100S sensor (great tonal depth, etc). For very very large image sizes, I can still see the benefit of 100mp and I still think there are benefits to image quality of using larger telecentric lenses (eg, better edge performance) over M lenses ….but if I was only printing to 30-40” it might be a harder decision, and I’d expect that I’d very closely be looking at the M11.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IkarusJohn said:

If my M10-D dies, I might look at a considerably refined M11-s (for simplified):

• no electronic shutter
  • return to metering off the shutter, save when using the EVF
  • no variable MP (just make it 36, 40, 60 or whatever)
  • no cropping
  • no red dot
  • black paint with Leica script

and … no LCD … 😀

I would add remove the unnecessary thumb dial and extra custom button on the top plate. 

after all these years I have not used the thumb dial on the M10D, I have no idea what it even does!

• Like 2

I won’t buy it before I shoot a few pics with the new Beast, to experience the electronic shutter (and on the rest of the camera). Opening - shutting -reopening the shutter to take a pic seems a bit weird to me, but maybe there is no reason to. I’ll have to test it !

Apart from that, the rest of the specs and the design evolution look great and very tempting

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenTanaka said:

... A $9,000 camera that still hasn’t added IBIS but, worse, added an IBIS simulator?  Is this true?

The digital stabilization does not affect the images – it's just there as an option in case you want a more stabilized view in the EVF/LCD in order to more easily focus. It's a nice option, IMO.

at only 22% more resolution than a M10R, I will wait for a 2nd hand M10R. 

If I were to buy one in the future, it would be the silver - I prefer the heft of the brass to aluminium. 

Longer battery life - nice, but I have 3 M10 batteries already. 

Why didnt they use the SL battery as it is standard across SL series and Q2

• Like 1

I purchased a 50mm summilux yesterday which is money better spent at the moment for me ahead of upgrading from the M10 to M11. I can see the M11 being a great camera for me in the future, but for now, the M10 stays, which is still adore shooting with. Oh, and of course my M6 still gets a lot of love

Edited by LondonL
  • Like 3

The ideal M camera for remote and challenging terrain hiking for my landscape photography.  Bought and received the black version today.  Over 40 improvements, many make me wonder if I need the SL system.  I will put the M11 through its paces this week.  Sample photographs taken by the staff at Leica Store San Francisco are incredible.  The M11 might well be a true legend for me....

• Like 4

The M10M is such a great improvement over the M10, I bet this is going to be great.  The Live View instant shutter will be great.  I was just trying to catch some dolphins today and that would have made life easier.  Visoflex 2 will be awesome too.  I always have a 21 or 28 on there and that should be good.  We'll see what the reviews of that are like.

Surely I'll get the 35 apo first, however.

I think.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Artin said:

it was 11,490.00 CND .. basically same price as M10R.  

the packaging has gone down a few notches the nice box with the trays are no longer ..

the Black finish is a bit odd feels like shark skin. but it is considerably light compared to the M10 R  

over all feels ok time will tell 

I like the new packaging better. It is nice that the Lightning cable is also included.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Note: Only Quick Start Guide is included.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, setuporg said:

But you can test the strength of the bonds by exposing them to who you really are.  Your partner should accept no less!:)

Oh don’t worry, she knows who I really am 😉

Chicken!! 

• Haha 2

So far the new m11 spec sheet/ features is not enough to sway to change what I do with my M. The core M features still exist in the previous iterations, and that is enough for my needs and what I expect and want in a M system. 

I guess for every new iteration one has that existential dilemma of whether if the new features would help in anyway with ones own photography or if one is missing out from not upgrading. To others who think that it'll improve their workflow or as a photographer / experience all the power to them.

As polarised it may be at times we are all  excited about the M11 and looking forward to the new reviews and images from the new camera!