Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, adan said:

Just as a reminder of the math of all this:

60 Mpixels is only a 22% increase in linear resolution over 40 Mpixels. I.E. if you take 12 pictures with the M10-R and the M11, only 2 of the M11 pictures (statistically) will show a slight blur, if the M10-R shows no blurs at all. (and that's worst case - shooting right on the edge).

If that seems intuitively wrong, recall that pixels cover area - shake-blur and resolution covers lines.  And movement-blur has to appear on at least two pixels to show as a blur. One has to compare the square-root of the pixel counts - ratio 6.32 to 7.74 = 1.225

Compared to 36 Mpixels, the ratio will be about 1 to 1.3 (30% more chance of 60-Mpixel blur)

To consistently and commonly show more blur compared to 36 Mpixels would require a 144 mpixel sensor (36 x 4).

60 Mpixels is just not that much larger or more detailed than 40 or 36 Mpixels in the first place.

One of the little tragedies of digital photography - to get "twice as sharp" or show "twice as much blur" requires "four times the pixels" - and file size. The M11 doesn't qualify.

And, of course, the M11 offers the option of 36 (or 18) Mpixel images anyway - which will downsize the effective size of blurs (in a given overall viewing size) just as much as it downsizes all of the resolution.

So in fact the M11 gives you EXACTLY your wish - three (not two or one) new cameras. Of selectable megapixel count. In one unit.

Wow,

Clear and understandible.

Thank you.

My M11 remains on order and I can't wait for it arrive.

• Like 1

ps I am also buying an M3 DS 1956, for my father. He came to this country in 1956. He bought an M3 1956 in about 64 with a couple of lenses.It cost him nearly one year salary. He loved that camera. Unfortunately , the cloth sutter curtain had a burn hole from the sun and he couldn't afford to repair it. he is 87 years old and he still develops my films for me.

I don't care what the photos look like it makes me proud of him. He once bought a durst and some collapsible russion reporters emlarger, maybe 25 years ago. They didn't have lenses, so he bought several lenses in junk shops and fashioned a new ones that fit. They work wonderfully. :D

He worked in the dark (Hahahah). Mother never new how much he spent on these things.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ianforber said:

Hi, 

We seem to be in a similar position - in London (near Kingston?), in our 50s and waiting for an M11 as a first digital rangefinder (and in my case a first Leica M). I ordered mine on 05 Feb and I’m promised it at the end of this month. We’ll see…

I confess not to be too bothered about reports of camera shake but that’s in part because my style of photography doesn’t often involve low light situations. I’m just looking forward to getting my hands on the camera and seeing what it can do! Hope yours comes soon.

Ian

Hmm, Brilliant yes the north river roads, in Kingston. That's so cool. 

Let's meet when we see something   Mine is silver. I will be in the corner somehere wearing it :))

• Like 1

In the words of David Byrne...'How did I get here?'   well, I'll always use film and love it but my digital progression has been interesting...started with the canikoly plastic fantastics but quickly got an M8 over 10 yrs ago, from there...eventually went M240, then M10 and as I love my 35 'cron...wanted to crop a bit more so traded the M10 for an SL2.....while it was a fabulous camera and I loved the menu system, I just hated its heft and evf.....so It has a new home and My M11 (silver) arrives today.....Thanks Leica of Manchester...Great guys and put up with all my chopping and changing shenanigans ! ..... M11 + summicron 35 asph....all the camera I need (just now) 🙂

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:20 AM, johntobias said:

In the words of David Byrne...'How did I get here?'   well, I'll always use film and love it but my digital progression has been interesting...started with the canikoly plastic fantastics but quickly got an M8 over 10 yrs ago, from there...eventually went M240, then M10 and as I love my 35 'cron...wanted to crop a bit more so traded the M10 for an SL2.....while it was a fabulous camera and I loved the menu system, I just hated its heft and evf.....so It has a new home and My M11 (silver) arrives today.....Thanks Leica of Manchester...Great guys and put up with all my chopping and changing shenanigans ! ..... M11 + summicron 35 asph....all the camera I need (just now) 🙂

Thank God for that another 'chopper and changer', I hope when my M11 arrives, this will cool the spirit for chopping and changing.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:20 AM, johntobias said:

You lucky chap!

There are quite a few M11 images appearing on the forum now.  Looks like it is a winner.

Have fun!!!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/27/2022 at 8:50 AM, adan said:

Sorry I can't give you both a "Laugh" and a "Thanks."

Your words will not be taken down and used against you in a Court of Law.

I still wish Leica (being innovative and oddball, and always ready to acquire our cash with accessories) would just create something like the image below - simple credit-card-sized LCD screen with a foot that slides into the hotshoe, and uses the EVF contacts. More elegant than a flip-out screen.

And totally optional and removable.

It is the one thing I miss from the old pro SLRs before digital. Even the regular LV LCD won't always work - unless one has a neck like a giraffe.

But I suspect Leica thinks FOTOS serves the same purpose (except for those of us who don't use smartphones, either ;) )

(EDIT: Anyone got Stefan Daniel's or Janko's (?) email? PM is fine - for their privacy).

This is a nice idea. It would also work on a new M11-D (where D stands for Discrete or Dumbies or so)  making it less discrete. But it is mucho better than a swiveling screen (adds some 2mm in body depth, introduces vulnerability issues). And of course, the hot shoe contacts can easily be designed such to be used to also work like a USB interface, in fact I brought that up in the past also. [I do have an L-mount camera, do not appreciate it, my wife hates it, it requires >1.000 hours of shooting to use it probably, I just made a 1.000 shots).

The M11 is the first M that doesn’t inspire me to buy it. The M10 I think is the final M for me.

I cannot say why, I do not know. But I won’t be buying. 60mp on that sensor is asking for trouble. I’ve gone digital medium format instead, and the M10 I have has been relegated to something lovey to own and hold. My SL system is all but sold.

29 minutes ago, P1505 said:

The M11 is the first M that doesn’t inspire me to buy it. The M10 I think is the final M for me.

I cannot say why, I do not know. But I won’t be buying. 60mp on that sensor is asking for trouble. I’ve gone digital medium format instead, and the M10 I have has been relegated to something lovey to own and hold. My SL system is all but sold.

My M11 is still on order. I never got into M digitals. I was about to buy the m10R because of the timer and improvements. 

Sad to see your comment. I had though about buying the M10p instead because of my worries. But I'm signed up and watching the M11 images thread now.

There are lots of great pictures coming out with M11 now. Is it a better camera? Who knows, if it is the camera you are carrying at the time then yes :).

Perhaps once the dust settles and the idiosyncrosis (spelling?) are worked out it will become a classic (or an M5 or a Porsche 944 or 914) erm ?

On 2/14/2022 at 3:51 PM, peterinkingston said:

ps I am also buying an M3 DS 1956, for my father. He came to this country in 1956. He bought an M3 1956 in about 64 with a couple of lenses.It cost him nearly one year salary. He loved that camera. Unfortunately , the cloth sutter curtain had a burn hole from the sun and he couldn't afford to repair it. he is 87 years old and he still develops my films for me.

I don't care what the photos look like it makes me proud of him. He once bought a durst and some collapsible russion reporters emlarger, maybe 25 years ago. They didn't have lenses, so he bought several lenses in junk shops and fashioned a new ones that fit. They work wonderfully. :D

He worked in the dark (Hahahah). Mother never new how much he spent on these things.

Yesterday, I bought the M3 1957, and a collapsable Elmar 1957'ish, 50mm 2.8/15 blade.

I found a lovely chap called Alan, who can replace the Vulcanite and make it all shiney and new.

Alan doesn't have a shop front but I will ask him to let me bring my father to his workshop to see where he does his magic.

It's a five hour drive up to pick up my dad then two hours over to the workshop. He's deaf now and disabled so can only walk about 50metres at a time so hopefully no staircases.

I need to find an excuse to give my dad so he doesn't guess what is going on. I also need to make sure mum doesnt find out she will think I'm crazy, buying another camera for him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, peterinkingston said:

Yesterday, I bought the M3 1957, and a collapsable Elmar 1957'ish, 50mm 2.8/15 blade.

I found a lovely chap called Alan, who can replace the Vulcanite and make it all shiney and new.

Alan doesn't have a shop front but I will ask him to let me bring my father to his workshop to see where he does his magic.

It's a five hour drive up to pick up my dad then two hours over to the workshop. He's deaf now and disabled so can only walk about 50metres at a time so hopefully no staircases.

I need to find an excuse to give my dad so he doesn't guess what is going on. I also need to make sure mum doesnt find out she will think I'm crazy, buying another camera for him.

Wow  Dad and son seem real 'characters', something this world sadly lacks. I am sure that is going to be a fun surprise ! I hope no stairs are involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:49 PM, peterinkingston said:

My M11 is still on order. I never got into M digitals. I was about to buy the m10R because of the timer and improvements. 

Sad to see your comment. I had though about buying the M10p instead because of my worries. But I'm signed up and watching the M11 images thread now.

There are lots of great pictures coming out with M11 now. Is it a better camera? Who knows, if it is the camera you are carrying at the time then yes :).

Perhaps once the dust settles and the idiosyncrosis (spelling?) are worked out it will become a classic (or an M5 or a Porsche 944 or 914) erm ?

Every camera has idiosyncrasies, and I’m sure you will enjoy your M11 when it arrives.  It seems the motion blur issue is really just a technique issue, managed with a steady hand, faster shutter speeds and more flexible use of ISO and the e-shutter; for most use, sharpness is for pixel-peepers and the obsessive; if you print for normal viewing distances (unless you crop dramatically) the image quality seems very good; and the whole metering/live view/cropping etc discussion something you might think of briefly and move on.

Enjoy your new camera.

• Thanks 1

I just got my silver M11, which I ordered on launch day from Bergen County Camera. It's lovely: a clear step forward in image quality as well as useability (due to it being more Q2-like in its menus and such). I thought I'd hate the new Visoflex due to its blocky nature, but it's already grown on me. The Visoflex LCD is definitely much better than the last Visoflex. I took a few shots, all handheld with my Leica 35mm ASPH II, Cosina-Voigtlander 35mm APO-Lanthar, and the fun Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Heliar Classic VM. All were superb. The idea that you are bound to have blur is, as I suspected, nonsense (I have a Sigma FP-L and Fuji GFX100s as well). I do not have the steadiest hands in the world, but the M11 is perfectly fine as far as blur goes and I haven't even explored the electronic shutter. If this is a problem for you, then forget the M entirely and go to a platform that has IBIS. I do recommend the GFX100S or 50S for that. Waiting eagerly for an SL3 now. 

• Like 2

Leica M11 is the one to go for, when you want the nicest EVF available on a Leica M today and the best sensor. The pity is that it has no video and it has some Chinese components. I try to avoid to buy anything made in China, who are supporting the Russians invading Ukraine. So I will stick with the Leica M240, which has everything I need today (24Mp, battery is made in Korea... and it has video capabilities). I prefer to buy summiluxes to take pictures in available darkness.

• Haha 1

I have M240 with two summilux lenses, 50mm and 28mm, for 7 years now, and have been satisfide ever since. In October 2021 I bought Q2 and again find some child entusiasm - especially used it as 35mm camera-lens combination. Crop and possible aftermath composition corecture is very pleasing. But than, been "M" shutter for the last 7 years, I couldn't resist buying another "M", and after reading and viewing many opinions, thoughts, videos etc., I decide for M10R BP! It is not about "to many" pixels in M 11, possible "blur" images but more on trusted and long time tested true "M" concept, still present in M10 (R, P...), but not so in M 11. Beside, M 10R is very serious and mature product! M 10R, or P but especially M10R BP, won't be available in not so long, meanwhile M 11 ant it's successor will be. The noveltis they offer are not important for my amateur aproach to photography and I'm also a little bit medievalist! This is also the reason I keep M 240!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I put myself on a waitlist for the M11 at or around the time of its unveiling. Here we are in mid-March and hint as to its arrival date. There are a number of pluses to this camera - the new triple resolution sensor, the new bottom configuration, charging directly via USB-C (although there is a risk of damaging the camera’s internal electronic if there’s a power surge.), 64mp internal memory, metering off the sensor, etc. However I’ve had confirmation of instances of rolling shutter due to the slow readout rate when using the electronic shutter (a few Leica fanboy reviewers alluded to this in passing). Of more direct consequence to me, is the noisy/grainy low light performance. Some wrote and I agree that the M11 is an interim iteration of the M-camera evolution to a truly digital camera (M11P or M12). Of course no one knows for sure. 

My M10M is a world-class camera that only produces monochrome photos. I love this camera and will never sell it. But I do color as well, hence my interest in the M11. Hence, because of the seemingly interminable wait and the aforementioned issues and concerns, I decided instead to buy the M10R. I felt that 60 mp’s were a bit much for what I do. The colors and lowlight performance of the M10R are excellent. I’m quite satisfied with my new camera.