Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, adan said:

There is a factor that tends to get ignored on a forum of current Leica users.

It is not just about "upgrading" by people who already own an M10/9/240.

How important is it for Leica to appeal to non-Leica users? Against the competition? How does Leica grow their market, not simply maintain it?

Competition? I believe Pixii is the only "competition." 
Only in combination with EVF does Leica widen its net, though very few cameras are as good for MF and as bad for AF.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Uhhhh! Just looking at it makes my back ache! ;)

(Just kidding - expect you are getting great pleasure from all the members. And 5 cameras ain't bad - counting backups and MF film cameras, I have five also! Six if I count my old high-school Diana - sitting on a shelf for sentimental reasons)

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

Settling in and getting to know the rest of the family.  As is tradition, a quick snapshot of the family.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

Competition? I believe Pixii is the only "competition."

For those of us sold on the RF focusing and viewing and/or M lenses - with digital - that's probably true.

But when I see the number of comparisons, even on this forum, with Nikon Z, Sony Alpha, Fuji X and so on, it's clear that there are many others who see those as competition Leica has to beat, above and beyond the RF/VF, or the "history."

"Competition" is anyone or anything that someone can spend their money on, instead. It is a Darwinian fact of life, economics, and even art - which one ignores at one's peril.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pgk said:

My problem is that I cannot shoot everything on Leica Ms so I have to have another system. This significantly increases my costs. Factor in a second body and the M11 is looking like too much of an expensive luxury to be a 'pro' camera unfortunately.

Understood. I have been there and done that.

Then around 1999, I went to a workshop which included on the faculty a Magnum/Nat. Geo photographer who was asked about his switch from carrying a full bag of Nikon gear in the 1970s-80s to simply using an M6 and 35 f/1.4 ASPH since 1990-ish - while remaining a competitive pro. Didn't he miss (or need) his 180mm pictures?

His response was "I still see 180mm pictures;' - I just don't have to take them anymore."

Which was an epiphany I was already coming to on my own. I don't have to satisfy every customer that comes to me. I can do exactly what the hell I want (which is work exclusively* with Leica M), and still get enough sales to pay the bills.

I do have a Canon 5D2 sitting around, with a 300 + TC for the wildlife or sports shots. Haven't actually had to use it for 5 years or so, because the M (21-135) has been enough to handle everything I choose to take on. But it is a (relatively cheap) "security blanket." ;)

(*Caveat - I've also been making inroads with 6x6 film, But again that is my creative choice, not a requirement. And the 6x6 film cameras can't be updated any more, so no rat race ;) )

• Like 2

I like the idea of the M11 and its improved performance/features etc compared with my M240 (a porky beast compared with my M10M and M7).  However, checking file numbers I see that in almost two years of M10M ownership I have clocked up just circa 600 photos with the M240.  Muddying the water somewhat is my A7III + Novoflex M lens adapter.  Hmm, some wrestling with my conscience (and bank balance) required prior to a decision, me thinks.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb adan:

Then around 1999, I went to a workshop which included on the faculty a Magnum/Nat. Geo photographer who was asked about his switch from carrying a full bag of Nikon gear in the 1970s-80s to simply using an M6 and 35 f/1.4 ASPH since 1990-ish - while remaining a competitive pro. Didn't he miss (or need) his 180mm pictures?

His response was "I still see 180mm pictures;' - I just don't have to take them anymore."

Which was an epiphany I was already coming to on my own. I don't have to satisfy every customer that comes to me. I can do exactly what the hell I want (which is work exclusively* with Leica M), and still get enough sales to pay the bills.

I do have a Canon 5D2 sitting around, with a 300 + TC for the wildlife or sports shots. Haven't actually had to use it for 5 years or so, because the M (21-135) has been enough to handle everything I choose to take on. But it is a (relatively cheap) "security blanket." ;)

(*Caveat - I've also been making inroads with 6x6 film, But again that is my creative choice, not a requirement. And the 6x6 film cameras can't be updated any more, so no rat race ;) )

I absolutely envy you and I would like to do the same. First of all: Normally I have the M10 hanging on my neck with (most probably) my 28mm Summicron attached. Now my "problem": I need AF. For this reason I have the R5 mainly with 50mm 1.2 (RF) and 135mm 2.0 (EF). If I could use the focus fast enough on my M I could probably be without Canon. 

5 hours ago, adan said:

There is a factor that tends to get ignored on a forum of current Leica users.

It is not just about "upgrading" by people who already own an M10/9/240.

How important is it for Leica to appeal to non-Leica users? Against the competition? How does Leica grow their market, not simply maintain it?

I expect a lot of first time Leica users buy secondhand. I certainly did. If that is correct, then upgrades are growing their share (assuming the people who sold them the secondhand bodies are also upgrading). 

23 minutes ago, adan said:

Problem is that I also shoot underwater - Sony A7 system - also for macro, copying, old lenses, etc. I do have an Sl for some of this too, but adding an M11 isn't going to happen at the price.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adan said:

David Alan Harvey ?

A question about the M11 that I have not seen asked or answered is this: With the shutter open for constant sensor metering subsequent shutter re-cocking and travel is needed before a photo is taken. Does the M11 have shutter shock because of this action with the absence of Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS)? Shutter shock was a constant problem for other mirrorless camera models that required EFCS to be implemented across the board by many camera companies. I understand the SL2 & SL2-S also lack EFCS, I don't know why.

I'm very concerned about M11 shutter shock, somebody should be addressing this issue head-on but it's been crickets from what I've read so far.

1 hour ago, Artin said:

+1. That would be the smartest move they can make, it would invite a ton of new users to the system. But Leica has only once in their history tried that, it was the Leica CL. During the M5 era.  

No, Leica M-E, S-E, SL2-S, etc, often near end of a product cycle.

Jeff

1 hour ago, goodbokeh said:

I'm very concerned about M11 shutter shock, somebody should be addressing this issue head-on but it's been crickets from what I've read so far.

Perhaps because it's not much of an issue?  Quick shot just for you.  It's a little frustrating using these pages to attempt to prove something is sharp but take my word for it, one can see the individual nose hairs are clean. And obviously low shutter speed as I caught an ear wiggle. 

50mm 'lux  ISO 1000 F2 1/50"   A bit of sharpening done just for emphasis.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goodbokeh said:

A question about the M11 that I have not seen asked or answered is this: With the shutter open for constant sensor metering subsequent shutter re-cocking and travel is needed before a photo is taken. Does the M11 have shutter shock because of this action with the absence of Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS)? Shutter shock was a constant problem for other mirrorless camera models that required EFCS to be implemented across the board by many camera companies. I understand the SL2 & SL2-S also lack EFCS, I don't know why.

You need to look at the formal review threads, and some specific threads on exactly the questions you ask.

Because it is rather wasteful to repeat the 10s or 100s of answers you can already find there.

They are right here in the M11 subforum - two clicks from this thread.