The underrated Summicron 35mm 6 elements Version 2

shirubadanieru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another cute one! shot with M11 at f8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Great thread about a very special lens. I love it on my M6 but on digital it`s kinda love and hate relationship. On my M240 this lens can be pretty unpredictable concerning the glow. I like the size, the handling and the sharpness but i don't like the unpredictable glow and the pretty strong vignetting.

Leica M240, Summicron 35mm v2 (1970), my dog Emma, Mastin Labs Pan F Preset

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 11:03 PM, shirubadanieru said:

Hi everyone, I thought I’d create a specific thread for this lens as there’s not a lot of content on it available. I will share some pictures for this lens, which to me is fairly underrated in Leica’s line-up. If anyone else would like to share their pictures too please jump in. 

This lens sits between the mythical V1 8e and V4 7e, so it’s often forgotten, but I do think it’s worthy of a place in the 35mm hall of fame from where I stand : ) 

A very quick summary of my observations: 

• This lens retains some of the best characteristics of the Summicron V1, which to me are the gentle glow wide open, and the beautiful flare, while being sharp enough for my taste. 
  • At f2 the bokeh is swirly without being too swirly and definitely has a very unique signature that I like. At f2.8 it still has a beautiful bokeh, but the sharpness increases quite significantly. 
  • From F4 onwards it’s tack sharp and I can’t differentiate it from any other lens. 

To start, sharing some shots wide open so that you can have a feel for the Bokeh. As always, click on the images for better resolution. 

Thanks so much for this post! I'm considering a v2 atm to be my first 35 :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

its an amazing lens, i was positively suprised when i got my scans back 

• Like 4

Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinions and suggestions on this:

I'm planning to get one of these 6 elements 35mm Summicrons this month (or maybe earlier next month). There are 2 options available and they're both at the same price point and about the same condition (cosmetically and optically). One is V2 (German made) and the other one is V3 (Canadian made). What do you think guys, which one should I buy and why? 
This would be my first 35mm Summicron, actually.

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Gilang said:

Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinions and suggestions on this:

I'm planning to get one of these 6 elements 35mm Summicrons this month (or maybe earlier next month). There are 2 options available and they're both at the same price point and about the same condition (cosmetically and optically). One is V2 (German made) and the other one is V3 (Canadian made). What do you think guys, which one should I buy and why? 
This would be my first 35mm Summicron, actually.

Thanks in advance!

This period the Germany made ones tend to be more recent, thus have better coatings, but more than anything make sure to get the cleanest optics, that’s all. For 6e I don’t think construction quality would differ between canada and Germany.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

This period the Germany made ones tend to be more recent, thus have better coatings, but more than anything make sure to get the cleanest optics, that’s all. For 6e I don’t think construction quality would differ between canada and Germany.

Thanks man, appreciate it. I would one more time see and feel it for myself before pulling the trigger. I just don't want to be disappointed later after choosing one. 

21 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Just to add my two cent on this, I think German made V2 are only made in the 'middle' period of V2 (around 1970), and there are Canadian ones made after Wetzler-made. Just off my own research:

2317XXX, Leitz Canada, with filter thread, coating too worn to be sure, smaller front element
2317XXX, Leitz Canada, with filter thread, light purple coating, smaller front element
2393XXX, Leitz Wetzler, with filter thread, light purple coating
2395XXX, Leitz Wetzler, with filter thread, deep purple coating, larger front element
246XXXX, Leitz Canada, without filter thread, Cherry color coating

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, gaheris said:

Just to add my two cent on this, I think German made V2 are only made in the 'middle' period of V2 (around 1970), and there are Canadian ones made after Wetzler-made. Just off my own research:

2317XXX, Leitz Canada, with filter thread, coating too worn to be sure, smaller front element
2317XXX, Leitz Canada, with filter thread, light purple coating, smaller front element
2395XXX, Leitz Wetzler, with filter thread, deep purple coating, larger front element

Wow, it's quite strange don't you think. Why was it manufactured in German shortly then moved to Canada once again, any particular reason that you know? and what's the differences between them, especially in the coatings? 

5 hours ago, Gilang said:

Wow, it's quite strange don't you think. Why was it manufactured in German shortly then moved to Canada once again, any particular reason that you know? and what's the differences between them, especially in the coatings? 

It was a period of Leitz trying to cut cost here and there so we will never know the exact reason. But I think it's kinda funny they introduce the filter thread error sometime when they move manufracturing 'back' to Canada. 

For me the coating thing is just they have changed coating formulae/materials through out the years, it's hard to say meaningfully and precisely how they differ optically. For example, in the V3, one can see it goes from purple amber (71-72) to mostly amber (73-75) and back to bits of ambery orange and purple again in '77.  But it's fun to geek these out, though. 

On 1/24/2024 at 7:49 PM, gaheris said:

Just to fill a s/no. gap, my Wetzlar V2's s/no. is 2329363, with filter thread and purple coating.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:06 PM, shirubadanieru said:

I finally bought the V3 as it appears in better condition optically, even though there are some physical signs of use (the barrel and focus tab). Design wise, I love the V2 better, but unfortunately there's small amount of dust and cleaning marks in the optic.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:59 PM, shirubadanieru said:

This lens was a repaint done by Kanto; I’ve handled several lenses / cameras repainted by Kanto, and although I just don’t quite enjoy their black paint (too shiny / too thick?) their chrome repaints are just beautiful. This lens in chrome looks really nice

Could you show a picture of the lens from the side? Does it look like a real chrome-on-brass lens?