The underrated Summicron 35mm 6 elements Version 2

shirubadanieru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I saw this interesting post of Adan

we can see there more M Summicron 35mm, just in case

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I saw this interesting post of Adan......we can see there more M Summicron 35mm, just in case...

Also note the differences in the frontal light-baffles (or lack thereof) between the v2 in Andy's post (above) and the pair seen in Arnaud's posts #7 and #19...

:huh:

Philip.

2 hours ago, pippy said:

Also note the differences in the frontal light-baffles (or lack thereof) between the v2 in Andy's post (above) and the pair seen in Arnaud's posts #7 and #19...

:huh:

Philip.

Interesting!! My lens serial is from 1970 and definitely has a filter thread ahah I had no idea that v2 also has batches without one. Here’s a picture of it where you can clearly see the filter thread (and serial).

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that the 'baffle-ring' can be un-screwed (to allow the lens to be dismantled for repair) so perhaps the lenses in posts #7 & #19 have had theirs removed at some point? Having a look on the web the majority pictured seem to have this part fitted (including some more in the #2446XXX range) but I'm not going to suggest you attempt to dismantle you own lens just out of curiosity!

Philip.

Hi all, sorry I'm late! Mine does have the filter thread, 1969 serial #, and I use the 12585H hood which may not be literally the 'original', but I believe it's one that's most easily found these days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Interesting!! My lens serial is from 1970 and definitely has a filter thread ahah I had no idea that v2 also has batches without one. Here’s a picture of it where you can clearly see the filter thread (and serial).

I've never seen a chrome version of this lens. I imagine its quite rare.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, 84bravo said:

This lens was a repaint done by Kanto; I’ve handled several lenses / cameras repainted by Kanto, and although I just don’t quite enjoy their black paint (too shiny / too thick?) their chrome repaints are just beautiful. This lens in chrome looks really nice :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 84bravo said:

I've never seen one in 'real life' either but according to the Wiki link (post #18);

"Versions : Chrome from 2316001; Wetzlar (rare) and ELC..."

...but as bdolzani's (black) lens in post #25 has serial number 2316218 I'm not sure whether the chrome version is REALLY rare (c. 200 units?!) or whether the batch(es?) from 2316XXX onwards contained a mix of chrome and black lenses (mixed between ELC and Wetzlar?).

The Wiki link would benefit from some clarification.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

26 minutes ago, grahamc said:

As a big fan of the 6e 40:2, I’m interested in this lens.   What differentiates the v2 and v3 if they are the same 6e formulae optically ?

Thanks 

Many mysteries to clear out depending on sources.

Simple way but not always right, to see if the lens is II or III

Lever (II) or ring (III) to set aperture.

However...

Some says that the optical cell has gain an air element between the second and third lens (first glued group not glued anymore), to be verified.

We can see here bigger front lens on III

smaller front lens on II

I ...II...III

IV Canada, IV Wetzlar

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

Shot with M9, street shots at F11 and Self-portrait at F2 (heavily cropped as well)

• Like 3

On 1/16/2022 at 3:46 AM, grahamc said:

As a big fan of the 6e 40:2, I’m interested in this lens.   What differentiates the v2 and v3 if they are the same 6e formulae optically ?

Thanks 

Erwin Puts, in his Leica Lens Compendium, has this to say about how v3 differs from v2:

"A Midland redesign of the six element version, still with the same number of glass elements, brought some improvement in overall contrast. specifically on axis. In the field the performance drops significantly and is somewhat below that of the previous [v2] six element design. The optical design uses different glass types and the second group has a very small airlens, where the first version[ v2] was cemented. Flare tendency is reduced compared to the previous designs. Vignetting is lower with less than 2 stops, but now some distortion is visible. Generally however, these differences in fingerprint are low and will be visible only in direct comparison. This lens has a few millimetres more length to make the reading of the numbers on the rings easier."

I have a very clean copy (no thread version) and really like it for rendering, handling and build.  I have had a v4 and a 35 lux pre-FLE in the past and have not compared the v2 to those. 

I tested my 12585 hood and thought there was minor mechanical vignetting.  So I got a 12504 and have been happy with that.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Runkel said:

Erwin Puts, in his Leica Lens Compendium, has this to say about how v3 differs from v2:

"A Midland redesign of the six element version, still with the same number of glass elements, brought some improvement in overall contrast. specifically on axis. In the field the performance drops significantly and is somewhat below that of the previous [v2] six element design. The optical design uses different glass types and the second group has a very small airlens, where the first version[ v2] was cemented. Flare tendency is reduced compared to the previous designs. Vignetting is lower with less than 2 stops, but now some distortion is visible. Generally however, these differences in fingerprint are low and will be visible only in direct comparison. This lens has a few millimetres more length to make the reading of the numbers on the rings easier."

I have a very clean copy (no thread version) and really like it for rendering, handling and build.  I have had a v4 and a 35 lux pre-FLE in the past and have not compared the v2 to those. 

I tested my 12585 hood and thought there was minor mechanical vignetting.  So I got a 12504 and have been happy with that.

Reading this, it seems that the V2 is a better option? The ‘upgrades’ are in areas where I don’t quite feel the need to improve, and I rather have a lens that vignettes a little, with the benefit of keeping less contrast (I can add it if I want) and no distortion (the most important for me in a 35mm lens as I also do use it for portraits). 

Shared this in the M11 section but sharing it here too. I just put this lens on the M11 and they go really well together, it looks beautiful to my eyes. Waiting for the battery to charge to go out and test it out with this new sensor : )

• Like 2

I bought my 35/2 Summicron V2 new in early 1972 & it was the first Leitz lens I bought new. My previous ones had all been used. It has the 39mm threads & I have always used the 12504 lens hood. Makes for a very compact package on my M cameras. Mine is currently on my M4 BP & I just used it to make a couple of snaps today. I have been pleased with the images this lens has given me for 50 years.👍 I also like the look of the images it gives me on my M Monochrom.

• Like 2

I also like it very much on the M monochrom... it never really worked on digital color M cameras for me however.

i think it is one of the best lens for street photography... very light, very small, very sharp after f/4. you can almost put the M in your pocket.

not a lot of contrast, especially with the monochrom v1, but that can be added in lightroom easily.

Preparing for the roller coaster

Edited by karrox1
  • Like 2

Fresh out of the oven :p Leica M11 with V2 

Shot wide open, the lens flare when shot against the sun is just beautiful! Love the sun stars too! 

The other two are shot at golden hour at around f5.6

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TriX and 35mm 6e V2

On 2/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, shirubadanieru said:

TriX and 35mm 6e V2

Are those Hello Kitty pedestrian barriers officially approved by the city?  😅  My wife would enjoy this photo very much.