M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ISO 5000 SOOC

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

ISO 12500. The room was all dark. The only light source came from the hallway. 

• Like 7

Please, disregard the quality of the photos. Just trying to show the ISO capability. This is inside a taxi, during the early hours of the day. Lens closed at F4, shutter speed at 1/125th, and therefore ISO at 12500. You almost couldnt tell. 

• Like 8

But my favourite favourite thing is this, of course: 

Summilux 35 v2 (no filter thread, therefore no filter), wide open, ISO 64, shutter speed 1/16000th. Finally! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This morning on the train, shooting straight into the rising sun, wide open, at 1/160000th. What a dream. And below, the same image pushed 5 stops in post! So clean. This camera is just great. 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Steven said:

I was referring to Edmond Dantes, of course. 

📸🍮

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Steven said:

As for startup time, the M10 is very slow to wake up. Takes two seconds I think. Enough to miss the shot. 

I have the habit of turning off my cameras after each subjected is photographed.  Sounds like I would need to get on the habit leaving the camera 'on'. With the favorable battery life reports of the M11, that shouldn't be a power-drain problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danner said:

I have the habit of turning off my cameras after each subjected is photographed.  Sounds like I would need to get on the habit leaving the camera 'on'. With the favorable battery life reports of the M11, that shouldn't be a power-drain problem.

After reading Jono's review and his ingenuous work around, this is what I'm trying. I left the house this morning at 7am, when to Belgium and now im on my way back. Battery is at 85% at 3PM. Seems like a viable solution. If it doesn't fix the problem entirely, it's a least a nice compensation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Steven said:

Summilux 35 v2 (no filter thread, therefore no filter), wide open, ISO 64, shutter speed 1/16000th. Finally! 

Amazing!

2 hours ago, Steven said:

After reading Jono's review and his ingenuous work around, this is what I'm trying. I left the house this morning at 7am, when to Belgium and now im on my way back. Battery is at 85% at 3PM. Seems like a viable solution. If it doesn't fix the problem entirely, it's a least a nice compensation. 

It does get slightly warm, doesn't it? It helps with the morning cold, and reminds you to turn it off :).

31 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

Your images are great but appear very soft. Did you apply a special post processing?

Another forum member mentioned this, that the images look as though they have been wiped with Vaseline. I guess one question is how these compare to the M10R.

Edited by John Smith

58 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

Steven, thanks for your information and sharing experience. Your images are great but appear very soft. Did you apply a special post processing?

Its the lens, as we know Steven probably a early 35mm Summilux 

On 1/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, Steven said:

As for startup time, the M10 is very slow to wake up. Takes two seconds I think. Enough to miss the shot. 

Hi Steven,

Do you mind clarifying please, is the M11 slow to turn on AND wake up? Is there a difference in the start up and wake up times?

I consider start up to be from the moment the power switch is turned to taking the first image, and wake up to be from sleep mode and taking the first image.

Lastly, is there any difference from waking up with a half-press of the shutter, then a full press, or by simply holding down the shutter with a full press directly from sleep mode?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Steven said:

Thanks for the pics. Overall would you describe the overall tone warmer or cooler the previous iterations? Or same just more saturated?

9 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

Its the lens, as we know Steven probably a early 35mm Summilux 

Yeah if you shot at infinity with the Summilux pre-asph 35mm wide open that is the expected result :) The lens seems less glowy on the M11 VS older cameras / film? Is that a fair assessment Steven or does the lens retain its character as with previous cameras?

2 hours ago, Edmond Dantes said:

Has anyone been playing around with the electronic shutter these past few days? I have, and my findings are mitigated, as the readout speed seems quite slow compared to what the competition offers. 

Not having sufficient technical knowledge, I can only share my "real life" experience and tell you that it is very "sensitive". Of course, fast moving subjects will give you a hard time, but even static subjects need to be treated very cautiously too if you wish to obtain acceptable results. See example below: neither the police officers nor the tower in the background were moving. Only my hands moved a bit as I was reframing my composition after taking my reading. 

All in all, I am really happy about the addition of the electronic shutter. It comes in very handy for my use of the camera and this feature alone was a reason for me to buy it (coming from an M10R), but you need to stay aware to the moment pass from mechanical to electronic territory, as you will need to adapt your shooting to avoid running shots. 

Edmond

I have measured the readout speed to he the same as in a7rIV.