M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Crem said:

M10/M10R/M10P you hear the shutter noise when powering on the camera if live view was enabled when the camera was last turned off. So if you don't use live view then you don't hear a shutter noise when powering on an M10 camera.

My assumption is that the M11 will also close the shutter when you power it off, but I haven't seen that confirmed. So the M11 will make a shutter noise when powering on regardless of how you have it setup if I'm correct.

Sony for example does not close their shutter when powering off. I believe Canon does on the latest cameras. So Leica may be able to make a firmware option to let customers decide if they want to close or leave the shutter open during power off. Leave it open would mean no noise on power on and possibly even a slightly faster start time. This is all speculation based on the things @Stevenhas posted.

Yes there is option for open/close shutter on Sony Canon cameras. Hope this setting on M11. Maybe Steven can find it.

Edited by opera207

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

M10 bothers me mostly when shooting

Me too. a lot mate. But I decided very quickly that I will learn to live with it. Because I love everything else about the camera, so I will need to do that sacrifice. 

8 hours ago, NigelG said:

there is now no additional lag compared to non-LV shooting on previous Ms

you should be fine

can you programme a button to cycle through the alternative metering modes ie. Spot/CW/Multi? 

Yes, any of the three buttons. I have my three buttons set to 

- toggle live view mode on and off

- min shutter speed (as I like to keep it a 1/250th in the day, and 1/60th at night, although with the low light capabilities of the M11 I might bump it to 1/125th at night)

- Shutter type 

I guessing this is the "divisiveness" that you have alluded to...

The dividing factor, to me and on the long run, will be the look of the images. It is really different form the M10R. Some will love it. Some won't. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crem said:

Do you think the M11 has better high ISO performance than the A7R4?

Yes. Sony cameras have colours that fall apart when you reach high iso, although they won't show you grain (probably thanks to software). 

The SL2S changed that, giving you great colour at 12500 and even 25K. With the M11, 6400 is no problem at all. At 12500, the colour still has not broken, but noise start to be introduced. It's very usable nonetheless. 

I have not shot at 25000 yet, but im sure its usable too. It's a great camera for nighttime. A huge leap from the M10R, in my opinion, with which I wold never pass 3200, and that's even if I really had too. 

7 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I commented about this in the other thread Steven and maybe you missed it, but be careful with the electronic shutter. It has to scan a high resolution sensor, it will not be fast so you may get rolling shutter effects and/or banding. Try it on a moving subject and you will see.

Thank you. I read your PM (and the 100 other PM), and as a result, I started this thread to clarify a few things. I appreciate that you took the time to explain. And im not an electronic kind of guy anyway. I'm in it for the shutter sound 😇

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

@Steven what about the image blur problem with lower shutter speeds that you encountered when first transitioning to M10-R? Do you feel like you need to go even faster 1/500 or something for the 60MP M11 to not get blur? 

No, on the contrary. There is not blur issues at all! At least as long as you don't zoom in 500% ...

6 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

From Kai’s video it said that shooting at 36mp the dynamic range increases by one stop (and I’m assuming 18MP would further increase it) so it could be interesting to test it out and see if there’s any difference in output (ie better lowlight performance / dynamic range)

I like Kai's personality. Less his analysis of cameras which are just an enternaining read of the spec lists, in general. 

I doubt that this is true, from a very very quick testing I can see no difference at all except file size. But I am too looking forward to others throrougly testing this. Im sure the results will be interesting. 

5 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

I think the title of this thread should say "newest", not "best".  For "best" the next question is "best for whom?"  The word "best" is for advertising, not people trying to decide what they think about a new product, based on what they plan to do with it.   IMHO.

Well, the title also starts by "MY"

5 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

He is not sleeping.. He is out taking pics at high iso with his M11 :)

Your half right! I have some 12500 ISO photos ready to show you, I just don't want to risk to post them and see the thread deleted again. I learn from my mistakes. 

4 hours ago, opera207 said:

Thank you for sharing Steven!

About the clunk, would you mind to descrip the details?

The clunk sound is heard only when the camera is woke up from the sleep mode and start up, or every shooting?

On lv mode of m10r, the sound is only heard when pressing the lv button. the shutter lag of lv mode seems longer than rf mode, so the shutter feeling of m11 is always like that of m10r lv mode?

It's exactly like the M10R. Big clunk sound when turning the camera on and off. 

But still somehow a slower/longer shutter sound when taking a photo. It's annoying all the time, although it doesn't seem to slow you down. 

The truth is, I had not even noticed that in the first 5 days of using the camera! it's only yesterday that I noticed when someone pointed it out and I checked, and since then I couldn't take it off of my mind. But I slept on it, and just like the black finish, I decided that I will stop making a fuss about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

And I'm back from the Island of Elba 🤠

Thank you for your support (some of you). I haven not been able yet to read all my PM but I will answer everything. 

It was not St.Helena ;).  Welcome back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 1/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, Steven said:

It's exactly like the M10R. Big clunk sound when turning the camera on and off. 

But still somehow a slower/longer shutter sound when taking a photo. It's annoying all the time, although it doesn't seem to slow you down. 

The truth is, I had not even noticed that in the first 5 days of using the camera! it's only yesterday that I noticed when someone pointed it out and I checked, and since then I couldn't take it off of my mind. But I slept on it, and just like the black finish, I decided that I will stop making a fuss about it. 

Thanks, I think I can accept the clunk since the IQ is so good, already ordered a silver one.

I find that I have very little editing to do to get colours that I like and that I find natural, with the M11 files. 

With the M10R, it was the opposite. I struggled a lot, and many times never reached and a result I liked. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

SOOC files are very reminiscent of the SL2-S colours, but also textures, if that means anything to you

• Like 6

The SL2-S resemblances becomes even truer at night, where high ISO not only show pleasant grain, but also hold the colours very well. Here at ISO 4000 SOOC

• Like 2