M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet

Steven

3 minutes ago, ppkarppi said:

Wow, you must be a big Leica sockpuppet then. Well, I don't mind.

I never get people who are in LEICA forums bitching about Leica products or being surprised that people in a LEICA forum are Leica fans or are biased towards Leica. 

And that video from Steve Huff is complete crap, regardless if you are a fan of Leica or not. He is basically sharing his thoughts of a camera he never saw or touched even before it was announced. 

43 minutes ago, Crem said:

This is 100% true and I definitely experienced this on my A7R4 which supposedly uses the same sensor. Electronic shutter was great for things like landscape photography, but terrible for everything else (kids, sports, street, people, etc). There is no way I could fix to fix it in post as far as I know.

Easy: use Puppet Warp in Photoshop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Like I said. It will be a dividing camera. There will be two camps. 

I love the SL2-S' colours. I prefer them by far to my ex M10R. 

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the M11 and for your thoughtful analysis.

Regarding your observation that the M11 produces colors more like the SL2-S than like the M10R, is this true even after applying a custom color calibration in your RAW converter?  (Sorry if that's a silly question.)

3 hours ago, SrMi said:

...AFAIK, Nikon Z9 also opens shutter at startup. However, I have not heard anyone complaining about it. So maybe it is more dampened?

There is no mechanical shutter in the Z9. Scan time is as fast as a mechanical shutter, so they omitted it.

Edit: maybe you're thinking of a sensor shield that covers and retracts from over the shutter and opens at startup, IDK

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crem said:

I thought you were making a funny joke and then I Googled it. Puppet Warp is a real thing! Learning about it now.

Actually, there are a number of ways to deal with distortion in PS, depending on the type. Adaptive Wide Angle, Vanishing Point, Liquify (also very good if you want to alter an expression in a face or open eyes in a group portrait), Lens Correction (Custom) , etc.

25 minutes ago, ppkarppi said:

Wow, you must be a big Leica sockpuppet then. Well, I don't mind.

Instead of an ad hominem attack, I expected pointers to things I missed in the video. Note that I follow Steve Huff's blog,

22 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

There is no mechanical shutter in the Z9. Scan time is as fast as a mechanical shutter, so they omitted it.

Edit: maybe you're thinking of a sensor shield that covers and retracts from over the shutter and opens at startup, IDK

Yes, the sensor shield :). Thanks for the correction!

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Actually, there are a number of ways to deal with distortion in PS, depending on the type. Adaptive Wide Angle, Vanishing Point, Liquify (also very good if you want to alter an expression in a face or open eyes in a group portrait), Lens Correction (Custom) , etc.

Appreciate all the info @jaapv! I sense a future thread "Fixing M11 electronic shutter blur" when someone accidentally leaves it on while shooting street photos.

4 hours ago, Crem said:

Appreciate all the info @jaapv! I sense a future thread "Fixing M11 electronic shutter blur" when someone accidentally leaves it on while shooting street photos.

Rolling shutter can be used creatively:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Image by Jim Kasson, from DPR article on shutter types.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing Steven!

About the clunk, would you mind to descrip the details?

The clunk sound is heard only when the camera is woke up from the sleep mode and start up, or every shooting?

On lv mode of m10r, the sound is only heard when pressing the lv button. the shutter lag of lv mode seems longer than rf mode, so the shutter feeling of m11 is always like that of m10r lv mode?

5 hours ago, Steven said:

I have tried to turn off the mechanical shutter, and if your ok with the silent, vibration less operation, it reacts VERY VERY FAST! 

Sorry, haven't read whole thread so not sure if this has been brought up, but this makes me think there's room down the road for a body with a small speaker one can have the shutter sound of your choice and volume. Great for adapting to working environments and one gets maximum responsiveness. 

5 hours ago, Steven said:

Ah ! this thread is so peaceful, quite and focused. I feel in a zen garden. Please don't tell the crazies from the other one that we are here 😅

I has found you! And I’m a tiny bit crazay!!! JKJK Thx for your insight and info Steven.

19 minutes ago, opera207 said:

Thank you for sharing Steven!

About the clunk, would you mind to descrip the details?

The clunk sound is heard only when the camera is woke up from the sleep mode and start up, or every shooting?

On lv mode of m10r, the sound is only heard when pressing the lv button. the shutter lag of lv mode seems longer than rf mode, so the shutter feeling of m11 is always like that of m10r lv mode?

M10/M10R/M10P you hear the shutter noise when powering on the camera if live view was enabled when the camera was last turned off. So if you don't use live view then you don't hear a shutter noise when powering on an M10 camera.

My assumption is that the M11 will also close the shutter when you power it off, but I haven't seen that confirmed. So the M11 will make a shutter noise when powering on regardless of how you have it setup if I'm correct.

Sony for example does not close their shutter when powering off. I believe Canon does on the latest cameras. So Leica may be able to make a firmware option to let customers decide if they want to close or leave the shutter open during power off. Leave it open would mean no noise on power on and possibly even a slightly faster start time. This is all speculation based on the things @Stevenhas posted.

1 hour ago, Daedalus2000 said:

He is not sleeping.. He is out taking pics at high iso with his M11 :)

No he’s comparing Parisian streetlamp ring flare on his multiple 35 steel-rims between his M10R BP and his scratchy/rubby/itchy/not-like-BC finish M11 😉

(Joking @StevenI appreciate your initial thoughts and now- embargoed pics)

Edited by NigelG
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ppkarppi said:

A long time Leica photographer just published a video on Youtube about the Leica M11 that is titled "Leica sucks...".

Steve my old mate maybe its time to retire?  Your talking bollocks.