M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet

Steven

9 minutes ago, SrMi said:

How would electronic shutter help with motion blur?

I believe the reference was to the well documented issue with M10M and M10R. You know… the one where the shutter offers its own shake built in? Lloyd Chambers has highlighted this issue quite a bit. I was skeptical until owning the M10M and the M10R. It’s definitely there and not a matter of increased megapixels. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

I believe the reference was to the well documented issue with M10M and M10R. You know… the one where the shutter offers its own shake built in? Lloyd Chambers has highlighted this issue quite a bit. I was skeptical until owning the M10M and the M10R. It’s definitely there and not a matter of increased megapixels. 

That is shutter shock, not motion blur. Motion blur is caused by using a too low shutter speed, while the camera is not stable. IBIS can help with motion blur but not with shutter shock.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

That is shutter shock, not motion blur. Motion blur is caused by using a too low shutter speed, while the camera is not stable. IBIS can help with motion blur but not with shutter shock.

I still think the reference was to the shutter issue. But things do get lost in translation on the forum. If that’s the case; 

You cannot fix “motion blur”, aka subject movement at a lower shutter speed. It’s a matter of physics. 

1 hour ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I commented about this in the other thread Steven and maybe you missed it, but be careful with the electronic shutter. It has to scan a high resolution sensor, it will not be fast so you may get rolling shutter effects and/or banding. Try it on a moving subject and you will see.

This is 100% true and I definitely experienced this on my A7R4 which supposedly uses the same sensor. Electronic shutter was great for things like landscape photography, but terrible for everything else (kids, sports, street, people, etc). There is no way I could fix to fix it in post as far as I know.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Artin said:

No shutter blades opening and closing their fore reduces vibration 

You are talking about shutter shock not motion blur as it is commonly understood.

Edited by SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Crem said:

This is 100% true and I definitely experienced this on my A7R4 which supposedly uses the same sensor. Electronic shutter was great for things like landscape photography, but terrible for everything else (kids, sports, street, people, etc). There is no way I could fix to fix it in post as far as I know.

I think this feature will be great for landscapers, which I think M camera has become. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

I still think the reference was to the shutter issue. But things do get lost in translation on the forum. If that’s the case; 

You cannot fix “motion blur”, aka subject movement at a lower shutter speed. It’s a matter of physics. 

Yes, there is that motion blur too 😄. The topic was motion blur caused by camera, not subject.

6 minutes ago, ppkarppi said:

A long time Leica photographer just published a video on Youtube about the Leica M11 that is titled "Leica sucks...".

Was discussed in the “other” thread. He completed the sentence in the video: Leica sucks money out of your wallet. 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the title of this thread should say "newest", not "best".  For "best" the next question is "best for whom?"  The word "best" is for advertising, not people trying to decide what they think about a new product, based on what they plan to do with it.   IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ppkarppi said:

A long time Leica photographer just published a video on Youtube about the Leica M11 that is titled "Leica sucks...".

This is the same photographer that claims to be a paranormal expert and sells a paranormal communicator. Please be careful with anything he says. https://huffparanormal.com 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ppkarppi said:

haha, watch the complete video, that's not all he said. You might want to watch the entire video if you are thinking about buying Leica M11.

So you dont respect people who have the camera and post their impressions, but you promote a clickbait video from a guy who does not have the camera and makes a video about it to make money.... I hope you see the irony

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ppkarppi said:

haha, watch the complete video, that's not all he said. You might want to watch the entire video if you are thinking about buying Leica M11.

I did watch it earlier. There is nothing relevant said.