M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting appraisal, Steven, and thanks for posting it.

I was surprised / happy to read that there is - for your preferences - only one down side and that is to do 'merely' with the shutter's 'Clunk' and (if I have understood what you were describing) a seemingly marginally slower start-up time(?).

As far as the baseplate is concerned; I'm in the 'Prefer if it's still there' camp but if it's gone then I'm sure I would get used to it. I can also appreciate the fact that many found the whole juggling-act a PITA - and I even can agree with them! - so pretty much 'Nothing to See Here' I suppose.

Looking forward to stumps-up tomorrow!

Philip.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shanefking said:

An interesting caveat.  I suppose this means that you personally prefer a Monochrom?  If so, how does the M11 compare when converted to BW?

It's not that simple. I just think that you can't compare a colour and BW cameras. They don't do the same thing, and they have strength that the other can't have. It's pointless to compare. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, hteasley said:

Good to know. Cannot stand live view shutter on the M10. Hate it hate it hate it. This sounds like a pass for me.

I don't like it either and I must admit that its the biggest downside of the M11. But there will be work arounds, and things that will compensate, as  a bonus. I just can't tell you before the embargo. But remind me tomorrow at three PM. 

It's not as bad as it sounds. Don't worry. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, glogulus said:

Sorry. I'm a bit lost here. Is there an ovf and evf?

And OVF. But at some point, they debated to go for an EVF. What I am trying to explain is that this debate was not has heated as the removal of the base plate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pippy said:

I was surprised / happy to read that there is - for your preferences - only one down side and that is to do 'merely' with the shutter's 'Clunk' and (if I have understood what you were describing) a seemingly marginally slower start-up time(?).

Correct. 

Then there is also the black paint finish, that I don't like as much as the previous one. But it's still good, and I decided that it was a non issue, and that I will not fuel the debates that I am expecting to take place. I refuse to enter this game and make it a fuss. The finish is fine. 

And lastly, there is the fact that the image is produce is far from the M10 series. Its a complete change. A new cycle. I prefer it, but some people will be nostalgic. It will be a really dividing and polarising topic, I predict. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Knipsknecht said:

Hello Steven, and thanks for your first impressions👍! Could you please say something about the different file sizes? Are you always using the 60 MP?

Thanks a lot👋

I'm always using the 60MP. I have an unlimited company dropbox account for 60 dollars a month. I have stored 27 terabytes of photos and videos in the past five years, neatly organised, by dates and topics. Therefore, I have absolutely no advantage or incentive to shoot in lower res mode. But I think it's quite innovative, and its cool that its there. I remember when I gave this info on another thread a year ago exactly, no one believed me. Not because they didn't believe in me. Because they didn't believe it would be possible. 

Bravo Leica for making such an amazing camera. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steven said:

I opened a photo thread earlier today and posted a couple photos. It was shut down within minutes 😄

The photo thread was already open since Sunday, it is still there and waiting for tomorrow at 15:00 Wetzlar time to kickstart all photos of every happy M11 owner.

• Haha 1

Just now, Al Brown said:

The photo thread was already open since Sunday, it is still there and waiting for tomorrow at 15:00 Wetzlar time to kickstart all photos of every happy M11 owner.

Had not seen yours. 

Opened another one. It was not well received, and I understand. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Had not seen yours. 

Opened another one. It was not well received, and I understand. 

I am looking forward to your pictures tomorrow because you will know how to capture what many forum members are after in the picture thread - what makes the essence of M11 from a SL2S fan's point of view.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolan said:

If the colours changed in the new M11 that is a deal breaker for me.  This is one of the reasons I sold the SL2-s, a fantastic camera in any regard, but I could not quite get the same colours and rendition of the M10

Like I said. It will be a dividing camera. There will be two camps. 

I love the SL2-S' colours. I prefer them by far to my ex M10R. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Steven said:

And OVF. But at some point, they debated to go for an EVF. What I am trying to explain is that this debate was not has heated as the removal of the base plate. 

Oh that's good to hear! I moved to the 10R because it looked more like the m9 to me than the m10. If the m11 is going in another direction then I may not be as quick to jump on the m11 as I did the m10R. I guess we shall see soon enough!

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Steven:

Like I said. It will be a dividing camera. There will be two camps. 

I love the SL2-S' colours. I prefer them by far to my ex M10R. 

Can you share a couple of pictures on your Instagram account? There should be no Leica police there ;)