M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet

Steven

6 minutes ago, Steven said:

But it doesn't feel good, because there is this clunking noise when the shutter closes to open again

Interesting: is this the only metering method or only there  when one uses use life-view? Otherwise put: is life view on permanently (like in a EVF camera)? 

Edited by Alberti

I never realised the startup time of the M10 was even a problem for some.

I am disappointed at the removal of the baseplate. I liked the nod to their
 history here. And for a camera that already has a manual ISO wheel etc, the argument for wanting no base plate for a speedier/convenient transaction of SD card or battery, seemed weak to me.

Maybe a limited edition will bring back brass and the baseplate.

Edited by maxfairclough
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, maxfairclough said:

I never realised the startup time of the M10 was even a problem for some.

I am disappointed at the removal of the baseplate. I liked the nod to their
 history here. And for a camera that already has a manual ISO wheel etc, the argument for wanting no base plate for a speedier/convenient transaction of SD card or battery, seemed weak to me.

Maybe a limited edition will bring back brass and the baseplate.

From talking with executives at Leica, I got to understand that removing the baseplate was a more heated debate than EVF versus RF. 

I personally was not attached to it, and I think that it feels very premium as it is now. I understand the tradition, but I shoot a lot of film on Leica cameras, so I know that I will spend more time of day with a baseplate than not. 

I understand your point of view, but I don't think it will ever come back. 

• Haha 1

Then a next question: I assume the mechanical shutter can be stopped, such as that  the image is captured between an electronic curtain - exept at low speeds where the black image is needed for the noise reducion?

Guess it would look then a bit like my Lumix_S body 😗 That starts up very fast by the way.

Edited by Alberti

Just now, Alberti said:

Then a next question: I assume the mechanical shutter can be stopped, so the image is captured between an electronic curtain - exept at low speeds where the black image is needed for the noise reducion?

Guess it would look then a bit like my Lumix_S body 😗

I have tried to turn off the mechanical shutter, and if your ok with the silent, vibration less operation, it reacts VERY VERY FAST! 

But yes, you can turn on electronic shutter all the time. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Steven said:

P.S. I started a new thread to try to get away from the madness of the main M11 thread, where people seem more concerned to reach a certain amount of posts by a certain date, and conversations are all over the place. 

Ha! The “madness” will just move here. Thanks for your impression of the camera.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

From talking with executives at Leica, I got to understand that removing the baseplate was a more heated debate than EVF versus RF. 

I personally was not attached to it, and I think that it feels very premium as it is now. I understand the tradition, but I shoot a lot of film on Leica cameras, so I know that I will spend more time of day with a baseplate than not. 

I understand your point of view, but I don't think it will ever come back. 

Thanks for sharing your view.

47 minutes ago, Steven said:

I will respect the embargo to post any photos

You know it's already the 13th in Japan and places like that right? Just sayin' 😇

Edited by Adam Bonn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Steven said:

...I personally was not attached to (the baseplate). I understand the tradition, but I shoot a lot of film on Leica cameras, so I know that I will spend more time of day with a baseplate than not...

Not really a relevant factor with the M11 though, Steven.....but you know that!

:lol:

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 1