SL2-S And landscape

fbonde

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys, 

How many of you guys uses the SL2-S for dedicates landscape and have tried the multishot. How is the colors etc? I have read a lot about that the colors is a bit different and it have a better dynamic range then the SL2. I shoot the SL2 at the moment, but the better iso etc is very appling. especially if you shoot the 16-35 SL or the 90-280 SL around the time when the sun goes up or down, having an extra stop or to without losing much quality will certainly be appreciated. 

Please share your opinion and perhaps some landscape photos shot with the SL2-S.

I have one Sl2 and one Sl2-s

i will not likely shoot the S for landscapes but it seems to be the do everything camera since it also has multishot of around 100mp and better iso like you said.
Unless you primarily shoot landscape and architecture all the time it might be the better choice for regular use and for travel /  editorial.

Robb

• Like 1

I have the SL2-S with the 16-35 SL (among other L-mount lenses). Multi-shot works well though I’ve only used it a handful of times and that was with a Sigma 24/3.5 DG DN prime which resolved well into the corners at 100 MP. I don’t normally shoot with a tripod cuz if I’m shooting landscapes, I’m generally hiking, skiing, etc… and I’m covering long distances on foot.

I don’t think there’s any colour difference comparing single vs multi-shot. I’ve been happy with the SL2-S colours and low-light capabilities so no complaints there. Depending on what lenses you’re using, you may or may not benefit from the higher resolution. If there’s good light and you’re shooting stopped down with the 16-35 SL or you’re using the APO SL primes, then you will see a benefit but I think I would still take single-shot SL2 files and avoid carrying a tripod versus doing multi-shot with the SL2-S and having to setup a tripod every time. I have several Gitzo carbon tripods but I almost never take them out because I’d still prefer to travel light and move fast in the mountains.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, beewee said:

I have the SL2-S with the 16-35 SL (among other L-mount lenses). Multi-shot works well though I’ve only used it a handful of times and that was with a Sigma 24/3.5 DG DN prime which resolved well into the corners at 100 MP. I don’t normally shoot with a tripod cuz if I’m shooting landscapes, I’m generally hiking, skiing, etc… and I’m covering long distances on foot.

I don’t think there’s any colour difference comparing single vs multi-shot. I’ve been happy with the SL2-S colours and low-light capabilities so no complaints there. Depending on what lenses you’re using, you may or may not benefit from the higher resolution. If there’s good light and you’re shooting stopped down with the 16-35 SL or you’re using the APO SL primes, then you will see a benefit but I think I would still take single-shot SL2 files and avoid carrying a tripod versus doing multi-shot with the SL2-S and having to setup a tripod every time. I have several Gitzo carbon tripods but I almost never take them out because I’d still prefer to travel light and move fast in the mountains.

Exactly my situation. I have 2 Gitzos and i almost never use them, since the SL2 has a good image stabilization. I can do 1/60 5.6 or f8 and still fantastic pictures. I use SL 16-35, SL 50 1.4 and SL 90-280. I have tried to avoid multishot for the same reason as you. I don't want to bring a tripod with me. 

My thoughts on the SL2-S is that i could use it during the sundown or early mornings. That's where i have to bump up the iso on the SL2, and honestly (this is my opinion) after 1600, I can see noise very clear.  I usually also use the M10-R with SEM 21mm i can easily do 3200 without any problem.

I still think the 24MP sensor on my M10-P is best with 21mm lux and 35mm FLE, i think i'm romanticising a bit now right now. And the 28mm lux is 90% on the M10-R thats a match made in heaven. 

Anyway, i think i'll get a SL2-S and try it our in these circumstances. 

8 hours ago, robb said:

I have one Sl2 and one Sl2-s

i will not likely shoot the S for landscapes but it seems to be the do everything camera since it also has multishot of around 100mp and better iso like you said.
Unless you primarily shoot landscape and architecture all the time it might be the better choice for regular use and for travel /  editorial.

Robb

Makes sense, Thank you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, fbonde said:

I can do 1/60 5.6 or f8 and still fantastic pictures.

I can’t speak for the SL2 but on the SL2-S, I’ve shot 1/2 second handheld and got decent results with IBIS. That said, I find that IBIS doesn’t work quite as well for ultra-wide angles as it has a harder time on the frame edges/corners.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by beewee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just had the SL2-S for a whole day with the SL lenses. I'll keep the SL2 for sure. The S definitely a fantastic camera, and the iso is just awesome. But I think it's the SL2 and S in the bag. Its different not Sl2 vs S.  Its always nice to go out and shoot and make your own opinions. 

Thanks for the input.

3 minutes ago, beewee said:

I can’t speak for the SL2 but on the SL2-S, I’ve shot 1/2 second handheld and got decent results with IBIS. That said, I find that IBIS doesn’t work quite as well for ultra-wide angles as it has a harder time on the frame edges/corners.

Looks good. Yeah, i tired it on the 16-35 today. I agree with you. 

It's a fantastic camera.   I have both the SL2 and SL2-S.  I tend to use the latter for low light photos (sunrise or sunset) and bird shots.  Here's a pic I took a couple months ago in Acadia National Park.  I do like the colors more than what the SL2 gives me.  They seem richer somehow.  

SL2-S at 1/30 sec at f/16, ISO 200, 16mm on Super Vario Elmar-SL 16-35mm

• Like 9

Here's another I took with the Sigma 150-600mm

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cattoo said:

It's a fantastic camera.   I have both the SL2 and SL2-S.  I tend to use the latter for low light photos (sunrise or sunset) and bird shots.  Here's a pic I took a couple months ago in Acadia National Park.  I do like the colors more than what the SL2 gives me.  They seem richer somehow.  

SL2-S at 1/30 sec at f/16, ISO 200, 16mm on Super Vario Elmar-SL 16-35mm

I agree. its the sunset or sunrise i need the iso from the SL2-S - And I agree the test i made, the colors is richer somehow. I think if one can afford both, that's the way to go. They are really to different cameras in my opinion. 

I used the SLS-2 on a trip to Iceland and it handled just fine in challenging light nd weather conditions. Here are two examples, both taken with the SL 24-70 BTW.

Edited by MarcusGVA
  • Like 9

Thanks for this thread - very interesting and informative for me as I am weighing up the SL2 vs SL2s models. I am leaning towards the SL2 s for obvious reasons re price and the 24-70 lens deal and its high ISO performance etc, newer sensor. But, as usual, the nagging voice in the head is saying  ' you need more than 24-mp'. My head says I don't because even with enlargements, 24Mp prints scale up with excellent resolution.

I was watching an excellent video on the Leica Academy Australia YouTube channel by the excellent Nick Rains, about the SL2s.

A landscape photographer he referred to in the presentation,  whose name escapes me, apparently often prints enlargements at just 180 pixels per inch rather than the 250, 300ppi standard we all have drummed into our heads. And that helps him produce very large A1-plus sized prints that according to Rains exhibit fantastic levels of definition. 

So, with that in mind, the fact that my now old M (240) produces fantastic enlargements at 24mp, along with the Multi-shot mode in the SL2s and the often overlooked Super Resolution feature in PS and LR (which works when I have used it), the need for 47, 60mp is diminished. And I do want a camera that shoots better at high ISO than my M, so the SL2s seems like the right one. I just need someone here to say - "yes, you're right!  Get one!" to stave off the buyer's remorse. I have yet to read a bad word about the SL2s other than its limitations if one likes to crop a great deal - which I generally don't beyond simple adjustments. 

• Like 1

I have been printing these on A3+ and just ordered a Alu-dibond 150x100cm print, so will see how that works out!

Edited by MarcusGVA
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MarcusGVA said:

I used the SLS-2 on a trip to Iceland and it handled just fine in challenging light nd weather conditions. Here are two examples, both taken with the SL 24-70 BTW.

Beautiful - can't wait to go back!